• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilba's Idyllic Aegean Day 3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilba's Idyllic Aegean Day 3

Milos

We were up, fed and watered for an early start of a 10 or 11 hour tour of the island of Milos, and by 0800 hrs the sun was already blisteringly hot. After a ships tender boat ride ashore, our awaiting coach took us a short distance to the south of the island to Kipos Beach, where we boarded a small boat for a coastal tour towards Kleftiko, apparently a famous Pirates Lair with its unique complex of sea caves. The boat anchored up for about an hour and a half for the opportunity to swim around the caves and the magnificent rock formations in the clearest water imaginable.

From there we headed back to Kipos Beach where a light lunch awaited us in the beach restaurant, and more importantly in this heat, cold beers on tap.

Back on the coach we drove to the north of the island, passing the Salt Fields near the islands small airport, to the cobblestone streets and alleyways of the village of Plaka. What a pretty little place this is, with its snow white houses and blue capped churches, reminiscent of a mix of Mykonos and Oia on Santorini, and just like Oia, bloody steep. I only walked halfway to the top, to a viewing point overlooking part of the coastline and a stunning white sand beach, any further and I would have needed a triple heart bypass.

On the way down the local village Pastry Shop had the most amazing display of pastries loaded with fresh cream. As much as I would have loved to have sampled the wares, my heart had suffered enough for one day.

Time to get back on the coach for the final stop of the tour to Sarakiniko, an inlet of pure white stone, sculpted by volcanic eruptions. This was something else! It felt like we had landed on another planet, absolutely stunning.

On return to the ship there was just time for a wash and brush up before dinner as one of the evenings entertainment was a one woman show/monologue of Shirley Valentine. This was a slight variation on the theme, as Shirley was to embark on a two week Greek Cruise to meet her new yet to be found gigolo.

It was a great performance, all in English, even though the main passenger complement was Greek, but I was asleep before she got to the juicy bits after such a long and hot tiring day.

Time to say Goodnight…………Wilba
    Wilba

Stunning photos

Comment

What a great read that was Wilba and stunning photos too. It's good to see a cruise line that calls at places that some of us have never heard of. There is so much more to the Greek Islands than the usual milk run.
      Jill

Comment

Amazing.......

Comment

It does look hot, not a cloud in the sky. Where does that intriguing little doorway in the rocks on Sarakiniko lead to?...Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
            It does look hot, not a cloud in the sky. Where does that intriguing little doorway in the rocks on Sarakiniko lead to?...Carol
            I'm not aware that it led anywhere Carol. People were using it as a changing room...........Wilba
            Wilba

Comment

Ah, I just wondered if it was a cave house as it was obviously man made...Carol

Comment

Wow, Sarakiniko really does look like another planet. Great write up and photo's; I love the look of Kleftiko with all the sea caves.

Comment

That must have been some volcano! Stunning pictures Wilba
                  BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

That looks amazing, thank you for sharing........................................... ............................Carol

Comment

Is it just me I cannot see any of Wilba's photos on this thread, just blank spaces where the photos should be, had the same problem on a thread I posted last night which contained 3 photos, but that seems to have now rectified itself.

Just re checked previous threads of this cruise by Wilba, those photos which I could view previously I can no longer see, although when I click on reply with quote all the links to the photo's are still there.

Must be a problem with my Safari.
                      Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 20th July 2016, 09:11 AM.
                      Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

They are all there Del

Best send Safari to Specsavers............Wilba
                        Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                          They are all there Del

Best send Safari to Specsavers............Wilba
                          Hi Wilba

Yep I can see all the links to the photos but not the actual photos, saw previous day's OK but now cannot see them also. Same happened to one of my threads today but now they are back.

Anyway great read and photos as usual when I can see them

I am sure it will rectify itself
                          Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

I am the same as Delboy, Cant see any pics, just blank spaces, I will try again later. Jan.

Comment

Hi Wilba

Normal service has been resumed, can now view all the photos OK

Understand BT have been having a few problems across the country this morning.

Can now look forward to the next episode of your adventures, keep up the good work and those great photos.
                              Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X