• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drewlin's Mediterranean BOGOF Part 2 London to Genoa (A piece of cake)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drewlin's Mediterranean BOGOF Part 2 London to Genoa (A piece of cake)

Our train from Wigan arrived in Euston right on time. If you buy a through ticket to Gatwick Airport you are booked on the Gatwick Express from Victoria. Arriving in Euston at 18.10 didn’t seem the best time to be tackling the tube so we did a “bag drag” to St Pancras and took the Thameslink service instead. We walked onto the platform and the first train to Gatwick was due in three minutes.

We were surprised just how quiet the train was, although it did fill up at the next couple of stops. It does take longer for the rail part of the journey, but for £6.80 each (using our Two Together Railcard), is significantly cheaper than the Gatwick Express. Never having been to St Pancras before we were surprised that the walk from the front door to the platform was almost as long as the walk from Euston itself!

We arrived at Gatwick and headed for the shuttle to the North Terminal. We just missed one and had to wait four minutes for the next one. We would probably have made the earlier one had I not tried to use a ticket from Southport to Wigan at the ticket barrier!

Our flight wasn’t until 06.30 the following morning but we took our cases to the British Airways Bag Drop and checked them in. There was no queue and our bags were on their way in minutes. We then made our way out of the terminal building to the Premier Inn immediately opposite.

Everything just seemed to fall into place and we were in our hotel room just after 8pm, not bad as we only left Wigan at 16.10.

As the flight was at 0630 this morning we were up early, allowing plenty of time to get through security and without having to check our bags in which was great. The screening process at Gatwick was extremely slick. When we saw the hoards of people making their way to the terminal we were anticipating taking a while to get through Security. Seven minutes later, including a full scan for Linda and we were airside and on our way for some breakfast.

The flight to Genoa was extremely smooth and we landed 10 minutes ahead of schedule. Our first time in Genoa and one of the delights is that it is such a small airport that we cleared passport control in minutes. Linda’s case was fifth off the plane, unfortunately mine was second to last!

We took the bus (volabus) from the airport to the main railway station (for €6 pp) and as we couldn't get into our B&B until 14.30, we checked our cases into the left luggage office (also €6 per case for 5 hours). We then did a recce to the B&B and also the Cruise Terminal.

We are in the B&B Domitilla, which is situated in a Palace overlooking The Terminal, and as you can see from the photo taken from our balcony, the right hand platform is where the left luggage office is, so we couldn't have picked a closer spot to stay the night if we tried.

If the welcome we received and the comments in the visitors book in our room are anything to go by we doubt we could have found nicer accommodation either.
    So far we have had an excellent experience and we haven’t even seen the cruise ship yet. Still she will be tied up outside our bedroom in the morning when we awake.

Until then it is time for us to sit back and relax in our wonderful accommodation.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Cheers Drew and Linda

This is all going incredibly well, I keep waiting for the hiccup..:-)

Was the hotel noisy at all?...Carol

Comment

That's the travelling out the way then. I'm excited for you!! Looking forward to the next instalment.

Comment

This is gonna be a good read for the weekend............Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

Even more excited to read this now as I've just been on Msc's website and realised this is as similar itinerary we are interested in for October next year. Only difference is that next year they sail from Marseille so we can hopefully get the direct Eurostar.
          Last edited by cymrucruiser; 3rd June 2016, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
            This is all going incredibly well, I keep waiting for the hiccup..:-)

Was the hotel noisy at all?...Carol
            Premier Inn was quiet with no plane noise, certainly I didn't hear any but then I was very tired. Drew said he hear the odd footsteps in the corridor but we were on the top floor (10th) and quite far down the corridor so not many people would have past anyway. So far at this B&B is really peaceful and quiet. Drew is on the balcony trying to get a night shot of Genoa as it is beautiful while I'm resting on our large comfy bed with such great pillows.
            Cheers Drew and Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkinsmg View Post
              Even more excited to read this now as I've just been on Msc's website and realised this is as similar itinerary we are interested in for October next year. Only difference is that next year they sail from Marseille so we can hopefully get the direct Eurostar.
              You can board at most of the ports and we stop at Marseille as we consider joining it there as it is a no-fly option with Eurostar with a direct service from London. The only downside is the possible restriction on the no of cabin categories available as Genoa seems to be the preferred embarkation port for many.
              Cheers Drew and Linda

Comment

I was thinking about noise from the trains as you are so close to the station. Looking forward to the photos. I hope you have a fabulous time...Carol

Comment

Great second instalment. Can't wait to read your first impressions tomorrow.
                  Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkinsmg View Post
                    Evening Hawkinsmg
                    PM on its way
                    Regards
                    Garfield

Comment

Originally posted by drewlin, wigan View Post
                      Premier Inn was quiet with no plane noise, certainly I didn't hear any but then I was very tired.
                      That's a pity!

If you tell reception that you had a bad nights sleep you get your money back!

Did you see Lenny henry there?
                      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
                        I was thinking about noise from the trains as you are so close to the station. Looking forward to the photos. I hope you have a fabulous time...Carol
                        Absolutely no noise or vibrations from the trains, in fact you wouldn't know that there was a station so close if you couldn't see it!
                        Cheers Drew and Linda

Comment

Sorry we seem to be having a problem copying the full url to post the photos on our iPad mini but will keep trying.
                          Cheers Drew and Linda

Comment

Please do, I am loving this!...Carol:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                              Evening Hawkinsmg
                              PM on its way
                              Regards
                              Garfield
                              recieved and replied 👍

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X