• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilba’s Aegean Wanderings Chapter 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilba’s Aegean Wanderings Chapter 2

We said our goodbyes to Cyprus and boarded one of Mr O’Leary’s private jets bound for Athens, OK it had Ryanair painted on the side but we can all live the dream.

Now some of you may recall a few months ago we cruised Cuba on the Louis Cristal and on disembarkation day we sat up on deck in the outside bar area where a TV screen was promoting the Idyllic Aegean for Celestyal Cruises.

When we watched the promo for this cruise with its mix of popular Greek Island ports and small fishing villages seemingly untouched by time, we just had to go for it.

On its way home from its Cuba charter, Louis Cristal gets a makeover to remove the logos and hull paintings, returning it back to a plain white hull with a new title, Celestyal Crystal.

We enjoyed this little 24000 tonnes vessel, not only for its ability to enter ports the large cruise ships cannot get near, but for its warm and friendly crew at every level that we came into contact with.

But, oh no this was not to be. 48 hours into our stay in Cyprus I get a call notifying me that Celestyal Crystal had collided with a tanker during the night and was going nowhere. I Immediately emailed Celestyal Cruises asking them if I needed to cancel my flights and hotel in Piraeus, and received an email back within two minutes offering me a cruise, initially on Olympia (Ex RCCL Song of America) or alternatively Odyssey, same dates, different ship, different port of departure Lavrio, some 40 miles away.
    If I was happy to accept they would provide a car from Piraeus hotel to Lavrio Port. The whole rebooking process took less than three minutes of to and fro emailing. I told you on my last blog this was one friendly cruiseline!

Our ‘new’ ship Celestyal Odyssey. This 24,318-ton, 836-passenger ship was originally built in 2002 as the Olympia Explorer for the now-defunct Royal Olympia Cruises. First impression is of a private yacht like appearance with its classic lines, sharp prominent bow and rakish stance. The ship is unique in the fact that, when built it was the fastest passenger vessel in the world and can reach speeds of up to 30 knots only to be out paced even today by the QM2. Being an ageing boy racer myself, I rather liked the idea.

The cabin is an XF grade, top grade Oceanview before suite status and is of a sharp contemporary design, a feature that runs throughout the ship.

We set sail at 1430 hours, boat drill completed and were on our way to our first port of call, Mykonos, for an 1830 hours arrival!

We were first in the MDR at 1930 hrs for what was a satisfactory first meal of Langoustine Bisque followed by Pork Cordon Bleu and an Orange Gran Marnier Pud. From there it was a shuttle bus (free) into Little Venice for an evening walkabout, a place we have visited many times by day, but never by night.

The place has always been busy, but at night it was heaving, every bar and restaurant jammed, so shop mooching was Mrs Wilba’s prerogative for the next few hours. The first shop we went into we bumped into Fern Britten & Phil Vickery. On recognition PV said Shh! Don’t tell any one! Mrs W quickly responded with, Shh! Same here. That might have kept him guessing, and on our way we went. Back on onboard we sat through the evening introduction show before retiring for a well deserved rest………….Wilba
    Wilba

Great how they managed to sort out another cruise for you - that is customer service....
    Sounds like a great cruiseline.
    sigpic
    Tiggertom
    shaken, not purred

Comment

Mrs and Mrs Wilba, what a great adventure! The cruise company certainly pulled out all the stops to ensure you got your holiday.

I loved your comment about Mr O'Leary's private jet, did he personally serve you champagne in flight?

We're all with you on this cruise, as we are on all your cruises. It's a real pleasure to read your blogs and we eagerly await the next instalment.

Comment

Another delightful instalment Wilba. The cabin looks really good and I'm sure you'll enjoy the wine I saw there. I like the idea of an evening in Mykonos - if not the shopping. I bet Fern and Phil don't bump into too many top celebs like the Wilbas when they're away. Keep it coming please..........HT

Comment

What an adventure this has turned into and well done Louis for coming up with an alternative ship. The tendering process looks well organised with two running for such a small number of passengers, that must have lead to a short wait.

Nice to be in Mykonos in the evening, that happened to us once and we ate in a wonderful seafood restaurant and admired the ship lit up like a Christmas tree moored a little way out.

I love the PV and Fern story, that was very quick of Mrs W..Carol

Comment

Another great blog keep them coming .

Comment

Again thanks Wilba a lovely ship looks as though they pulled out all the stops for you bet Fern is knocked back wandering who you are! more please this is the reason I joined cruise dot, because of tall the experiences shared by our lovely posters you certainly keep me amused, informed and up to date. CG
              sigpic

Comment

Hi Wilba,glad they sorted things out so quickly for you,enjoy your cruise.Bet Fern and Phil were sorry they didn't ask for your autograph.

Comment

So pleased it worked out well for you ,and good to hear that some cruise lines value our custom.
                  Cabin look very nice..Taffy
                  ​Taffy

Comment

Oh my. This really is an adventure!

Whatever next?

Comment

Hurrah!! Wilbas blog is back!!! Its like waiting for my fav tv series coming back for a new run!! Keep em coming please Wilba. Jan.

Comment

What a wonderful story, Wilba. Never a dull moment! Just can't wait to hear what happens next. Beryl

Comment

I'm amazed how lovely the ship looks considering her age.

Comment

Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
                            Hurrah!! Wilbas blog is back!!! Its like waiting for my fav tv series coming back for a new run!! Keep em coming please Wilba. Jan.
                            Ditto!!! Another fab adventure.

Comment

Thanks Wilba, loving this story as it unfolds and great pictures too. Sounds like you and Mrs W are making the most of your adventure.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X