• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grab em when you can, another as it goes cruise report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grab em when you can, another as it goes cruise report

Sometime your plans change.

Back early in the year we had nothing lined up,

in mid Feb we spotted a no fly deal that fitted well on dates and a decent price AI, booked what for us was an early booking a few months ahead.

Then mid March Princess dropped the price on their Canaries run from Southampton less than 2 weeks away.
    We booked and it was a decent cruise even with the covid issues, still need to go back and finish that almost live from.

A week after we got back another deal popped up and that is now a month later.

From nothing to 3 in <6 months how things can change quickly.

Recommendation : if thinking about a cruise, follow the roll calls and live from on CC and look for FB groups.
    The cruise lines are messing up quite a few trips, go as informed as you can about what's going on.

I won't have Internet full time so posts may be a bit sporadic.

My stalker(s) will know the itinerary but I will unwind this one as we go

Today is leave home day, negative tests this morning, later we are off to LHR for an overnight with parking for the duration.

if planning fly cruises LHR onsite parking got expensive, our two go to hotel&park were full, holiday extras could not come up with anything sensible even with my 15% discount.

I did consider yourparkingspace but they were also short on decent spots very near accommodation with easy transport to T5.

A bit more research and Best Western Ariel on bath road came up with £150(direct).
    Plan is dinner somewhere around Heathrow probably Curry or Thai then a few beers then early night
    Catch the local bus from outside the hotel to terminal 5 for our early flight.
    We did this on the last trip and it worked well the buses have a short cut to T5 can be quicker than a taxi(and no +£5 drop off charge)

Back to the packing.........

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    We thought we were going to dock in nynashamn turns out we are going into Stockholm

One of the most spectacular sail in/out you can have when it is sunny and dry sitting outside with a beer.

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    We are in Tallinn today but first a recap

Warnemunde lovely sunny day and very warm required a couple of refreshment stops on our walk around.

Return to ship for a beer and chat on the sunny side of the waterfront after a snack in the buffet OH went salad I had a small reubens and borito.

The show was Broadway unplugged done by the cast of million doller quartet, show songs done in different styles.
    Really good the cast can sing and play the instruments.

Then on to LA Cucina using one of our loyalty Dinners.
    We could not sit outside as the super day had been followed by a storm with torrential rain.
    Trying to avoid being creatures of habit we deviated from our usual choices resulting in pleasent meal and not coming away stuffed.

There is a party band 2 duo and a solo piano yet to hang out with them so no idea if they are any good.

After dinner we head to Howl at the Moon a long running resident feature on some NCL ships.
    Dueling piano+drums 2 of the trio were on in Nov and the girl and they do get a bit crazy, request based and they will have a go at anything, from around 10:30 is the watershed when they include more saucy lirics.
    The scheduled finish is midnight but if audience is lively enough they will carry on longer we went to bed.

Yesterday was our only sea day, the schedule is filled with normal cruise events, the atrium carries most of the quizz game shows etc, seminars(sales) are spread around other locations
    Nothing stands out.

The Q&A with Captain, chief engineer and hotel.
    First part just slides and script by the CD not great.

Captain was funny
    capacity said to be at 1228.

We had planned a lazy day with early dinner, had our usual breakfast at O'Sheehans then an early light lunch snooze and beers.

We used our other loyalty Dinner for Le Bisto French themed.
    This was a close repeat of the Nov dinner.
    Scollops in a cauliflower veloute.
    Veal chop
    ​​​​Choc desert

Escargot
    Duck
    Strawberry with ice cream.

Then onto rock the pour house with the Syd Norman cast
    Band is very good and the main singers have good voices but the girls can't quite hit the big stuff that gets a little shouty.

Then onto howl till midnight

The main show was Burn the Floor seen it before and the times did not fit so skipped.

A sea day the ship feels empty hard to know where everyone is, we have been on when nearer full and everywhere gets busy.

Even for the most popular venue like Syd normans you get a seat.

Off for breakfast now.

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    It was only one physical move and we knew we would ask for it before we got on the ship as we don't like the bed at the bathroom end, did not unpack till moved just wheeled the cases 10 cabins down the corridor.

Checked out deck 5 this morning it is not locked off has signs aft to the gangway forward so you can use the corridors.

Some outside cabins have red stickers on the doors and there a bunch of insides that are accessed by an interior corridor marked as PPE required eyond this point.
    it looks like a few cabins are occupied as there was one service cart in the forward section.

Heading into Warnemunde soon.
    Lazy start, up late last night on the beverage package.

Might try some pics when I get some wifi

Leave a comment:

• carol, welwyn garden city
    replied
    Glad to hear you are on board and settled.

I wonder if things will ever return to 'normal' or whether we will always have to be tested before boarding?

Leave a comment:

• Blondie, Oxford
    replied
    Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
    We are on our 4th cabin since booking, got moved when they closed deck 5, bid on upgrade, got balcony with wrong configuration (bed at bathroom end) moved to one close to elevators with the larger corner balcony.
    Had to ask twice.

They have resurected dinner with the officers another move back to normality.

Ship felt empty last night nowhere got busy, today 9pm departure and quite a few are on the long Berlin excursion so should stay quiet.
    Far too much hassle for me, once I’m unpacked I like to get settled. I accept if you were forced to move because they closed deck 5, that’s a different matter. Were you given help moving your belongings?

On port days I enjoy staying on an almost empty ship. It’s a good opportunity to visit different areas of the ship, take photos and just relax.

Thanks for the daily updates TD.

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    We are on our 4th cabin since booking, got moved when they closed deck 5, bid on upgrade, got balcony with wrong configuration (bed at bathroom end) moved to one close to elevators with the larger corner balcony.
    Had to ask twice.

They have resurected dinner with the officers another move back to normality.

Ship felt empty last night nowhere got busy, today 9pm departure and quite a few are on the long Berlin excursion so should stay quiet.

Leave a comment:

• Garfield, Waterlooville
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparkle, UK View Post
    Hi Garf,

Arrived home on Monday from our Beyond cruise, around 1100 pax, the crew number was around 1200. I will sit down and write a review of our experience shortly but suffice to say we had a brilliant time.
    Hi Sparkle
    That's great news and will look forward to your thoughts on the ship.

Garf

Leave a comment:

• Sparkle, UK
    replied
    Hi Garf,

Arrived home on Monday from our Beyond cruise, around 1100 pax, the crew number was around 1200. I will sit down and write a review of our experience shortly but suffice to say we had a brilliant time.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post

Hi Annie
    A passenger currently on Silhouette on a Baltic cruise reported 1050 passengers,,,,hardly cramming them in.

JC
    Hi JC

On a Baltic cruise, I am not surprised and delighted to hear it.

Possibly some US cruisers have read the Covid quarantine threads on cc and changed their plans??

Time will tell for the rest of the season.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    We have Britannia parked next to us wonder how many they have?

Insignia is also here.

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Hi Garf

That was a departure from the European mainland??

It is reported that the SOTON Silhouette sailings are setting the pace for occupancy levels. Probably because we have no quarantine restrictions??

Annie
    Hi Annie
    A passenger currently on Silhouette on a Baltic cruise reported 1050 passengers,,,,hardly cramming them in.

JC

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
    Morning Annie
    The next Beyond cruise to ours only had 1k pax...
    I'm hoping Sparkle wasn't too lonely.

Garf
    Hi Garf

That was a departure from the European mainland??

It is reported that the SOTON Silhouette sailings are setting the pace for occupancy levels. Probably because we have no quarantine restrictions??

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Garfield, Waterlooville
    replied
    Morning Annie
    The next Beyond cruise to ours only had 1k pax...
    I'm hoping Sparkle wasn't too lonely.

Garf
    Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; 18th May 2022, 10:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
    took train/bus to port after breakfast, really easy.

short delays getting new bag tags and covid checks at terminal
    They had flown over some Southampton port agents to help with check-in, no line straight to a desk and just a couple of mins to get done, quick stop at muster station then customer service to check something and that's us done, sat down with beer and wings 11:30.

Early reports are 1200pax which is going to be around 1/3 capacity,
    about the same as Nov trip, getting spoilt by NCL again with low capacity.
    Enjoy TD.

1/3 capacity is a far cry from Celebrity cramming them in on the Silhouette.

Annie

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X