• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virtuosa Vacation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
    Great to see the service in MDR has improved greatly as has the food.

it didn’t seem the best of ships tour you had. The beach in the distance in one of your photos looked lovely though.
    It's a great beach but pack your flip flops, It's pebbly.
    I love Portland. It started my interest in geology and I always took my geology hammer with me, that and a Fossil pocket guidebook. Portland oolitic limestone is great for fossils and it's one end of the Jurassic Coast. These days I think you can apply to go ionto one of the quarries but not sure if yu can hack away any more as it's all part of the Jurassic Coast UNESCO World Heritage site.

Climb up Pulpit Rock; walk around the Bill; watch 'The Race'; crab salad at The Lobster Pot; call in at the museum and that was a good day out.

Great holiday memories.
    Last edited by Mrs M; 1st July 2021, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

It's a great beach but pack your flip flops, It's pebbly.
      I love Portland. It started my interest in geology and I always took my geology hammer with me, that and a Fossil pocket guidebook. Portland oolitic limestone is great for fossils and it's one end of the Jurassic Coast. These days I think you can apply to go ionto one of the quarries but not sure if yu can hack away any more as it's all part of the Jurassic Coast UNESCO World Heritage site.

Climb up Pulpit Rock; walk around the Bill; watch 'The Race'; crab salad at The Lobster Pot; call in at the museum and that was a good day out.

Great holiday memories.
      One of our photostops was the Lighthouse so we saw the Lobster Pot but entry was forbidden 🚫

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post

One of our photostops was the Lighthouse so we saw the Lobster Pot but entry was forbidden 🚫
        Not surprised. I suppose you were pretty well marshalled around.
        Sounds a good trip though and you got away to sea, sort of. Fantastic.

Comment

Day 5 At Sea
          I had booked a romantic sunrise package to be delivered to our cabin for breakfast as a surprise but sadly as it appeared on both our MSC for ME apps my OH knew all about it! Nevertheless, it was lovely and arrived 5 minutes after agreed time. It cost £12 for a carafe of freshly squeezed orange juice fresh fruit platter- grapes, Galia Melon, Honeydew Melon, Watermelon, Pineapple ,Kiwi Fruit and pastries-Almond Croissant ,Plain Croissant, Cinnamon Swirl, Pain Au Chocolat and Lemon Muffin.
          sunrise platter.jpg

I thought it would be sharing but we had a platter of both each! It was delicious. Also included were 2 MSC champagne flutes to keep as souvenirs. Excellent value we thought ,really good quality and a nice keepsake.
          The weather wasn’t that great so we decided to go to the covered pool. This is a lovely space and as well as a ground floor with bar, seating area, 2 jacuzzis and seating area it has a gallery with 2 jacuzzis that extend over the side of the ship, seating area, changing toilets and table tennis and table football.

indoor pool.jpgIndoor pool

indoor pool upper area.jpgJacuzzi.jpgview from jacuzzi.jpg
          Indoor pool upper area Jacuzzi View from Jacuzzi

We sat and read and had a swim and a jacuzzi and some more freshly squeezed orange juice , which we are really going to miss, it’s fantastic.
          We decided to go to the MDR for a change for lunch and so glad we did. Though it was in the other MDR that was open , the first person we saw was the section head who had been so good last night! She recognised us and did the same great job.
          Practically the first thing we noticed on the menu was that the suggested drink of the day was Asti which we love and enjoyed 2 glasses of.
          I had Cassarecce Pasta with sea Bass and Apple Crumble with ice cream, Cappuccino to finish. Fantastic and I always like to eat at lunchtime at least once in the MDR.

We went back to the covered pool, lovely and relaxing and did the same things. All pools had a lifeguard and if it was busy they controlled the capacity.
          My OH had a gin cocktail and I had a Strongbow we also had a drink in the cabin getting ready for evening meal.
          Tonight we had booked Butcher’s Cut but did wonder whether we should have cancelled after the MDR experience improving so much .Curiosity got the better of me though.
          The service was attentive, Butcher’s Cut is a small restaurant only about 8 tables with some more outside as there is a gallery above the Galeria Virtuosa where the Teppanyaki and Masters of the Sea pub also have tables outside.
          A Bread sack arrived at first, a bit like a mini Snata sack with bread rolls and bread scones in. Really nice.
          I had Smoked Tomato Soup with grilled cheese (Basically a cheese toastie!)Odd but it worked.
          Then Filet Mignon with 1 side included and extra for others so we shared 1 extra .Had Chunky chips, creamed Soinach and Roasted Cauliflower. The steak was really good , but the sides were disappointing. I had banana ice cream which was nice enough but too much, Oh had Banana date cake which was basically sticky toffee pudding. I pinched a spoonful and it was lovely.
          I’m pleased we tried it , but I’m not sure it’s worth the £43 a head surcharge. I did hear a lot of very positive reports about Indochine but we ran out of nights!
          That’s the trouble about all cruises they have to come to an end.
          We were very full so had a bit of a stroll but then watched the penalty shoot France v Switzerland in the cabin and settled down.
          Next morning!
          Always sad to leave, one last chance to eat way more than is good for me at buffet breakfast.
          We had opted for self disembarkation particularly as it meant avoiding being bussed to the Convention Centre. Disembarkation was quick and smooth off by 9 home at 9.30!
          Overall we had a fantastic time it was great to be on a ship once more. As a one off trip the lack of travel didn’t bother us and I’m sure that won’t last much longer. Other matters like mask wearing really doesn’t bother us that much.
          MSC is a curate’s egg good in parts… I certainly wouldn’t necessarily rule out cruising with them again but I wouldn’t cruise on their big ships at proper capacity.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post so much information. I have very much enjoyed reading it all.

I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday and were able to share it with us!

Comment

More photos:
              Carousel Lounge:
              Galeria Virtuosa.jpg
              Masters of the Sea Pub:
              Masters of the Sea.jpg
              Masters of the Sea 2.jpg
              Main pool at night.jpg Main pool at night

Galeria.jpg Galeria Virtuosa

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for your photos and review Phil. It’s so nice to read a cruise review after so long without any.
                don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Enjoyed the review update of an actual sailing.

with the lifting of the 1k limit it may be rare to see shut a quiet ship.

Comment

Loved reading your review and seeing your photos, thanks for sharing with us.

Comment

Thanks for the review Phil.

'Curate's egg' - I last heard that phrase used to describe a Celebrity Cruise.

£43 surcharge per head for speciality dining is too rich for me but again I am no foodie.

Annie

Comment

So pleased that everything ended on a positive note, Phil. Really enjoyed your informative review and lovely photos, bringing back happy memories of what a cruise is all about.

Comment

Hi Phil
                          Thanks for the review and photos.
                          On my Meraviglia cruise I must have spent the whole cruise in the pub,,,there was a bar directly across from the pub called,I think,The Studio,,,,my wife hated it,dark and disco lights,,that was the bar for the Spanish,,the pub was the Brits,,,the bar by reception was the Italians.

I don’t think it would happen on a UK only passenger cruise.

ps My daughter,her husband and my 7 yr old granddaughter are on a 5 mile family charity bike ride through the Birkenhead tunnel this morning,,there and back,,,,,,they all managed it but my daughter reported she forgot about the incline at both ends on exit.

I was going to do the 25 mile section to Chester but my bike got a puncture in the garage!!!

JC
                          C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                          "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                            Hi Phil
                            Thanks for the review and photos.
                            On my Meraviglia cruise I must have spent the whole cruise in the pub,,,there was a bar directly across from the pub called,I think,The Studio,,,,my wife hated it,dark and disco lights,,that was the bar for the Spanish,,the pub was the Brits,,,the bar by reception was the Italians.

I don’t think it would happen on a UK only passenger cruise.

ps My daughter,her husband and my 7 yr old granddaughter are on a 5 mile family charity bike ride through the Birkenhead tunnel this morning,,there and back,,,,,,they all managed it but my daughter reported she forgot about the incline at both ends on exit.

I was going to do the 25 mile section to Chester but my bike got a puncture in the garage!!!

JC
                            Hi JC good luck for the charity bike ride.Thought you would like the photo of the pub with the Jameson sign.OH had a Guiness in there.The studio is still in the same place used largely for karaoke or when the on deck events weren't feasible due to weather

Comment

lunch menu.jpgmenu.jpgmenu 2.jpg Menus!

butchers cut menu.jpg

Comment

Hi Phil
                                Ive turned them round…..
                                3FC01BA3-65EC-4987-BC87-E7CC90F5ACFE.jpeg25061762-2385-4219-9300-06EE84FAF10B.jpeg632B9F98-9A78-49CC-A29A-FB28255343B1.jpeg

JC
                                C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                                "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X