• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The www.CRUISE.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bradbury on Marella Explorer Day 6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bradbury on Marella Explorer Day 6

Day 6 Arrecife – Lanzarote Wed 13th Nov
    We wake to some sunshine although the Captain has warned its a blustery day.
    Had a lovely stroll ashore, its quite a walk into town about 20 mins but along a nice harbour with all the yachts. We window shop for an hour and we did spot a tourist train hoho for 12 euro doing a 50 min circuit but decided we were happy just wandering around on our own. We stop at a cafe on the edge of the harbour for beer and sangria and enjoy taking in the views.
    IMG_2750
    IMG_2761

Back on board this time we take a salad from the station in the buffet and go through to the conservatory area where they have a section that does cook to order pasta and have ready made slices of pizza, which I take to top of my salad along with a glass of white wine. At last somewhere civilised. Its a lovely area, very peaceful colours and soft furnishings in what was the former covered pool area with a magnadrome roof. The pool now filled in which is a shame as in the inclement weather its nice to have an indoor pool.
    IMG_2719

Then its up on deck to find a deck chair. Pegs, pegs and more bl**dy giant pegs holding towels onto deckchairs is all we see, only 50% occupied with people.
    IMG_2786 This smacks to me of stereotypical brits abroad. Sorry I know I am ranting on but why, why do people think they can lay claim to a deckchair all day, go ashore, go for a spa treatment, go have lunch and come back to 'their' chair. I really do hate deck chair hogs and there was no-one policing this. I get it when you vacate to have a dip in the pool, go back to the cabin because you've forgotten your sun lotion, but when I lie there on an uncomfortable chair seeing the nice padded chairs vacant and have timed them for well over an hour, I get cross.
    With the music blasting out around the pool at god knows what decibels, we head up to the front of the ship two decks up and forward, but can still hear as clear as day and loud as anything the music - 1960's which I do love but not at that volume to the point you cant hear yourself think. Again 50% of the chairs claimed with giant pegs and towels, we cobble together a couple of the broken chairs without the padded toppers to go on top. They are not too uncomfortable but my eyes are firmly fixed on my watch and those ‘empty' chairs with pegs and towels. The music still at full pelt, for what reason I don’t know.

Soon its dance class time again; Tango refreshed, we head back to the cabin to change for dinner. Tonight we have made a reservation at Kora La the Asian/Indian inspired fusion restaurant. Tonight I feel we are getting proper service not just plates slapped down in front of us. I feel far more relaxed and at home now - this is how it should be. The meal was excellent. A few little treats in between which is what you would expect from specialty dining. I would highly recommend it.
    IMG_2768

As we are completely hooked by the dancing we are back for the social session for half an hour before they finish up, followed by a cocktail in the bar, then off to the show which is Rockology. Absolutely brilliant, what a fantastic show and for me to say so really does mean it was good. The comedians are following this with a late show so we stay on to give them another go, but after 15 minutes we decide its so corny we leave for bed.

I’m glad you enjoyed this day and found a quiet relaxed area to have lunch.

I don't like sun bed hoggers either. I’d love to have the nerve to remove the towels etc on these sun beds.
    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Thank you for a very informative review. As previously said, we are on Explorer in January (we are new to Marella) and have found your comments to be very useful, especially concerning dining options and shore visits. We have a booked a Trike tour in Madeira as a result! I will probably post a short review regarding our thoughts about the ship when we return. Agree with you that reserved empty sun beds are infuriating. Why are people so selfish?
      Barb

Comment

Originally posted by BandN, Markyate View Post
        Thank you for a very informative review. As previously said, we are on Explorer in January (we are new to Marella) and have found your comments to be very useful, especially concerning dining options and shore visits. We have a booked a Trike tour in Madeira as a result! I will probably post a short review regarding our thoughts about the ship when we return. Agree with you that reserved empty sun beds are infuriating. Why are people so selfish?
        Barb
        I will write a conculsion about the cruise line at the end of my blogs. Thanks for reading.

Thats amazing you have booked the Trike tour - we are so jealous. Do you mind if I ask the cost.

Comment

Hi Bradders
          This is one reason why I take the time to read all the reviews that my forum friends take the time to post.
          We may not be too interested in the ship but there are always useful snippets of other information.
          Wans linked a walking tour in Hamburg on his MSC blog which I have bookmarked and will hopefully get to use next year.

What could be better than a personal recommendation from someone you trust to give an honest appraisal.

Always learning as Wilba has shown me on many occasions.

Regards
          Garf

Comment

Im sorry but I DO have the nerve to remove towels on beds if no one comes to them after 15 minutes or so.
            If they do come back in that time I will happily walk away. Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post

I will write a conculsion about the cruise line at the end of my blogs. Thanks for reading.

Thats amazing you have booked the Trike tour - we are so jealous. Do you mind if I ask the cost.
              Hi, don't think I saw this post because I don't remember replying to it. I'm just re-reading your review as we are going next week. We are doing the trike tour in Madeira with a driver as we both want to see the views. It costs £104 for the 2 of us for a 4 hour tour. Apparently includes wet weather gear if necessary!!.
              Barb

Comment

Originally posted by BandN, Markyate View Post

Hi, don't think I saw this post because I don't remember replying to it. I'm just re-reading your review as we are going next week. We are doing the trike tour in Madeira with a driver as we both want to see the views. It costs £104 for the 2 of us for a 4 hour tour. Apparently includes wet weather gear if necessary!!.
                Barb
                Thats great to know. Its a lot less than what he quoted us on the day. Trying it on or maybe just wanted to get rid of us! I think thats a brilliant price and something I will definitely look up if we visit Madeira again. You must let me know how the trip was.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                X