• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

table roulette

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

table roulette

On our last cruise we were at a table for 8 and on the second evening we had to move one place to sit next to a new partner,i must admit this has occured before on other cruises but i do not like it,i find you can join in and chat to other diners at the table easy enough,when we were at the bar later another couple from our table said they did not enjoy it either,next time we will be sitting at a table for 2 or 4 is it just me,or do you like this system

Never tried this and don't think I ever will voluntarily. If you are at an allocated table then it would certainly confuse the hell out of the waiters each night. If it is a round table you can normally speak to everyone easily but when it is oval it can prove problematic having to shout to the other end so perhaps it might have some merit in that case.

Comment

If on fixed dining, on a table for 8 or 10 we just tend to rotate around the table, If we are the first couple to arrive we just move to a different position, although we try not to be "too fashionably late" if last. That way everyone gets to view the dining room from a different perspective, none of our dining companions have ever complained, all have commented it was a great idea. As a courtesy we also mention if we are doing alternate dining on a following night.

On one table for 10, one Lady stayed seated in her scooter, for logistical reasons she became the "head of the table" and like wise we all rotated which meant she got to banter with us all... that was as diverse a table as you could ever get and very, very enjoyable.

It take allsorts to make a world, so enjoy!
      Lancashire Cunarder

Comment

Rotating is fine if discussed first and agreed by all..Only manners !

Comment

Originally posted by poshtotty, north yorkshire View Post
          Rotating is fine if discussed first and agreed by all..Only manners !
          Actually, I think it good manners if there IS a 'prime spot', for those who sat there, to automatically move the next night, prior agreement not needed.
          I'm with Cruisegas. On a large table, moving around gives a different perspective of the restaurant and a chance to chat with your neighbour. Sometimes we do it every night, sometimes we sit in the same seat. Lunchtime and breakfast are different. First ones to arrive, sit where they want, prime seat or not.
          Rotation in the evening just seems 'to happen'.

We decide at what time to dine by prior agreement [only once has this not worked out] depending on the night's entertainment/how exhausting the day will have been and a table for eight becomes a very jolly affair.

Comment

But then a "prime spot " to one individual is not a "prime spot " to another. I'm thinking of a dear friends husban who has slight hearing problem, for him some positions at the table are better than others..Best talk it through first I say, then no one gets upset. I'm sure in most cases people would agree to rotate,I certainly would..

Comment

Originally posted by poshtotty, north yorkshire View Post
              But then a "prime spot " to one individual is not a "prime spot " to another. I'm thinking of a dear friends husban who has slight hearing problem, for him some positions at the table are better than others..Best talk it through first I say, then no one gets upset. I'm sure in most cases people would agree to rotate,I certainly would..
              Hearing problem or not, if you choose to dine at a large table, then one goes with the flow and if 'the' seat IS the 'best' and if that means moving one night so someone else can sit in that position, I go with the rotation.
              The exception is if someone can't physically get to a particular seat. Then they make use of the seats they can get to.

Comment

Table roulette is one of the things that puts me off of fixed dining, or large tables.

Rotation of seats, does not appeal to me one iota, when I have sat a large table (max 8), they have always been round tables and have had no difficulty conversing with everybody at the table. Luckily rotation of seats has not happened on any cruise I have been on so far.

It's normally dark outside, so a window seat is not an issue, and seeing a different perspective of the dining room each evening, has also never been an issue for me, I am there to eat not admire the scenery.

The other thing I would hate and have read they do on some tables, is to split the husband and wife up so they are not sitting together. I can imagine them trying to do that with my wife and what reaction they would get. Different at dinner party's at home, where normally the guests are all long term friends, but even then we tend to sit next to our partners.

As I say it has not happened to us yet, I take it that before you do the moving around you have the courtesy to consulate the other table members first. Somebody has mentioned they just sit a a different seat each night. Also what would happen if a couple said they were not interested, would that automatically mean they had a black mark against them.
                Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 4th October 2013, 08:38 AM.
                Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Its no big deal ether way the tables are allocated the seats are not?
                  We have seen it where some people prefer the same seats each night and others just move around the table so you get to chat with everyone.
                  Even if you and your partner just change seats you get to talk to someone else with out talking round someone...Taffy
                  ​Taffy

Comment

Quite often , you don't have choice of table size, on some ships, tables for two are at a premium..in some circumstances a large table may not be your preference..Just don't understand why a general discussion on the first evening wouldn't be the fairest and kindest thing to do. Much better than to turn up on night two and be faced with a fait accompli that could possibly spoil someones evening. As I said before we have and do rotate but would be mindful of others situations /preferences.

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                      Table roulette is one of the things that puts me off of fixed dining, or large tables.

Rotation of seats, does not appeal to me one iota, when I have sat a large table (max 8), they have always been round tables and have had no difficulty conversing with everybody at the table. Luckily rotation of seats has not happened on any cruise I have been on so far.

It's normally dark outside, so a window seat is not an issue, and seeing a different perspective of the dining room each evening, has also never been an issue for me, I am there to eat not admire the scenery.

The other thing I would hate and have read they do on some tables, is to split the husband and wife up so they are not sitting together. I can imagine them trying to do that with my wife and what reaction they would get. Different at dinner party's at home, where normally the guests are all long term friends, but even then we tend to sit next to our partners.

As I say it has not happened to us yet, I take it that before you do the moving around you have the courtesy to consulate the other table members first. Somebody has mentioned they just sit a a different seat each night. Also what would happen if a couple said they were not interested, would that automatically mean they had a black mark against them.
                      Interesting post Delboy. I have no objection in being split from my husband after a couple of nights if that is suggested [I wouldn't do so myself] and he has the same view. Possibly because we've had to host many a dinner table of folk we didn't know through the years, but I take your point re splitting up of partners and it shouldn't be imposed by anyone.
                      I guess we have just been lucky the dining companions we've had over the years have had the same approach to table seating as us.
                      No consultation, just a polite unspoken acknowledgement some folk might like a different perspective/view, especially on the Northern cruises, as our preferred dining table has superb views.

Comment

Musical chairs!

We always sit at a large table 8/10. We have never had to debate whether or not we will rotate round. We have always found it just happens that way! More often than not we are not the first to arrive at the table so find others have made the move for us. If we were first at the table, which is usually on the first night after a change over of guests ( I am talking long cruises here as this is mainly what we do) we would sit together and take it from there.Never have I had to sit next to the same person for the whole cruise. I also do not mind not sitting with my husband. He has me everyday of the year so we are not joined at the hip. I quite like to sit away from him as he can talk a different conversation and so can I if need be. Our tables have always been fun and we have had some great table companions over the years. So much so, that now days we have friends in many countries that we have made through dining with them.
                        I have to say there has been times when we have changed tables as well. One was when we were placed on a table for 6 and we requested 8. First night, and only night we ate there the lady next to me announced this was her seat. She would be sharing wine with her husband and anyone else that night, but the next night we had to buy it and the next night the other couple. I said we will not be sharing as I do not drink wine. She then announced she would not be dressing formal on formal nights as she did not like dressing up. That was enough for me. We requested a new table as we left dinner.
                        Next night ended up on a table for ten, an host. table as well and had fabulous company.
                        I like host tables and I have only ever been on. three cruises were we have not sat with an officer. They are usually fun.
                        I don't drink as mentioned so it is not for the free wine where I am concerned.
                        I have pre booked my table on our forth coming cruise. I have requested a host table and a certain number as I like to be in a certain part of the dining room. I am sure the table will rotate without any pre arranging. Only seat that will stay the same will be for the host if we get one.

Comment

Phew. Thanks MM. I was beginning to think I was an anomaly.

If the truth be told, before this subject was brought up some time ago, I didn't realise most folk sat in the same seat every night when seated at a large table.
                          I assumed everyone moved as and when, as we have always done over more than twenty years of cruising.

As for sharing wine. No thanks. We'll stick with our own choices.
                          Last edited by Mrs M; 4th October 2013, 12:20 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Personally I have no problems if couples want to play table roulette at dinner, all I am saying it is not for me or my wife.

I have no problem sitting next to my wife at dinner, the same as we do at dinner at home, no we are not joined at the hip, but so far we have enjoyed 48 years of marriage together.

On our first cruise 11 of our 14 nights were spent sitting on the same table for two together, plenty to discuss of what happened during the day.

I suppose that is why we prefer freedom or anytime dining. One of the advantages of RCI IOS anytime dining, plenty of tables for two, so each night you could choose whether to sit on our own on a table for two, or sit with others on a larger table, table for eight next preference. That way we got the best of both worlds depending how we were feeling each night, unfortunately not so many tables for two on other lines.

Don't use the speciality restaurants.
                            Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I'll sit anywhere - not fussed. Sharing wine - no thanks - tastes can vary so much.

I have been on a cruise where one couple made a point of being last into the restaurant every evening and slowed up the service considerably. After 2 successive nights of that, the rest of us decided to change table - problem solved.

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X