• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fantasy Dinner Companions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SandieA, Torbay
    started a topic Fantasy Dinner Companions

Fantasy Dinner Companions

You have a table for 12 - you and your partner will soon be joined by the people you would most like to spend a cruise chatting to over good food and wine.

Who would you have join you for stimulating conversation, interesting topics, a sprinkling of humour and fascinating story to tell?

You can choose anyboady - living or dead.............go on - put your thinking caps on.

My ideal table companions would be:

Fred Dibnah
    Dame Helen Mirren
    Griff Rhys-Jones
    Joanna Lumley
    Isambard Kingdom Brunel
    Victoria Wood
    HRH Prince Philip
    Helen McArthur
    Charles Darwin
    and Winston Churchill

Sure to be an entertaining evening with that mix
    Last edited by SandieA, Torbay; 7th June 2012, 07:25 PM.

• Old Cunarder, Tunbridge Wells
    replied
    Originally posted by JVS, Cuddington View Post
    . Ive met some of the people mentioned by others, I love football but in my experience football managers only talk about about football. And politicians only about themselves.
    Quite so. Important therefore to have pairings of people, or just people, who could discuss things of interest to you personaly

Leave a comment:

• JVS, Cuddington
    replied
    Twelve is too many. Just two would suit me, David Niven and Peter Ustinov. I could listen to them all night and I think they might be a little interested in my contribution. Or at least polite enough to pretend. Ive met some of the people mentioned by others, I love football but in my experience football managers only talk about about football. And politicians only about themselves.

Leave a comment:

• SandieA, Torbay
    replied
    Originally posted by SandieA, Torbay View Post
    You have a table for 12 - you and your partner will soon be joined by the people you would most like to spend a cruise chatting to over good food and wine.

Who would you have join you for stimulating conversation, interesting topics, a sprinkling of humour and fascinating story to tell?

You can choose anyboady - living or dead.............go on - put your thinking caps on.

My ideal table companions would be:

Fred Dibnah
    Dame Helen Mirren
    Griff Rhys-Jones
    Joanna Lumley
    Isambard Kingdom Brunel
    Victoria Wood
    HRH Prince Philip
    Helen McArthur
    Charles Darwin
    and Winston Churchill

Sure to be an entertaining evening with that mix
    I've just realised that I might not be able to get a word in edgewise with my choice.
    Fred Dibnah and Isambard Kingdom Brunel will be deep in conversation about chimneys, bridges and steam engines. Prince Philip and Winston Churchill will be having words over polotics and the monarchy. Griff Rhys-Jones and Helen McArthur will be off exchanging sailing information and boats and Dame Helen Mirren and Joanna Lumley will be at the Oscars.
    That leaves Victoria Wood and Charles Darwin discussing the theory of evolution.......the mind boggles - but it would still be entertaining to just sit and listen!
    Good job it is a fantasy dinner party.

Leave a comment:

• Old Cunarder, Tunbridge Wells
    replied
    Originally posted by Happy, Wolverhampton View Post
    It would be lovely to share a table with family and friends, enjoying good food (and wine), interesting conversations and all the family together which sadly does not happen very often.
    I'm with you on this Happy I would love to have my Mum and Dad back and my Son&DIL, Daughter&SIL plus the grandchildren.

Hopefully in the spirit of the thread, but a little off centre, 10 "others" I would love to meet on a cruise.

John McCrae the WW1 poet (In Flanders Fields)
    Margaret Thatcher
    Boris Johnston
    Harry Redknap
    Alex Feruson
    Bobby Moore
    Martin Johnston
    Mike Read (Frank Butcher from EE, met him a few times he was a lovely feller)
    Barbara Windsor
    Johnny Cash

Leave a comment:

• Clowi, Oxfordshire
    replied
    Arsene Wenger
    Richard Littlejohn
    David Mitchell
    Dusty Springfield
    Julie Walters
    Benjamin Disraeli
    Raymond Blanc
    Michael Schumacher
    Oliver Reed
    Ethel Louisa (my Grandmother)
    Last edited by Clowi, Oxfordshire; 9th June 2012, 10:08 PM. Reason: too many people!

Leave a comment:

• Jocap, Cumbria
    replied
    I've had the joy of dining with several members, so they'd all be on my list....until we can repeat this, I'll go for these 5 couples:
    Desmond Tutu and wife.
    Matthew Paris and partner
    Ian and Victoria Hislop
    Peter and Susan Kay.
    Mike and Zara Tindall
    Jo.

Leave a comment:

• Cruise Fairy, Indiana USA (2)
    replied
    Barack Obama
    Charlie Sheen
    Princess Diana
    Dudley Moore
    Ingrid Bergman
    Morgan Freeman
    Peter Ustinov
    Dirk Bogarde
    David Niven
    I think the dinner would last for hours...

Leave a comment:

• jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe
    replied
    10 or 12 far too many people round the table,life would get boring.
    With all those people listed each one would want to dominate the conversation,much better to book a 12 night cruise and have each one of your guests do a couple of hours in the threatre.

of over 100 nights cruising i have only sat with one couple who did not hold me intrigued /inthralled,no I will take pot luck with my didder guests.

jim

Leave a comment:

• Pumpwater, Shotley Bridge
    replied
    Here are mine

Kate Beckinsale
    Charlize Theron
    Carey Mulligan
    Jessica Alba
    Jessica Biel
    Kelly Brook
    Natalie Portman
    Rosamund Pike
    Kiera Knightley
    Lucia Moniz
    Joanna Page

Well we can all dream, and you did ask for our fantasies

Leave a comment:

• History Addict, Alfreton
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
    Definitely Calgrey. A great table could be assembled.
    Or even two!
    I agree. The best dinner companions are those with whom you have something in common but who also lead interesting lives. In my experience cruisers have diverse and interesting lives and are always a delight to converse with.

Less than 2 weeks to my next cruise and next set of as yet unknown dinner companions - can't wait.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by Calgray, Yorkshire View Post
    All the ones I can think of would DOMINATE the conversation. Would be extremely interesting, but I do like to get a word in edgeways occasionally...

So, it would have to be my Daughter, son in law and the two grandaughters....Never had the chance to go with our Daughter and SIL.

But!.... What a fab. experience to dine with some SUPER forum members
    Definitely Calgrey. A great table could be assembled.
    Or even two!

Leave a comment:

• Calgray, Yorkshire
    replied
    All the ones I can think of would DOMINATE the conversation. Would be extremely interesting, but I do like to get a word in edgeways occasionally...

So, it would have to be my Daughter, son in law and the two grandaughters....Never had the chance to go with our Daughter and SIL.

But!.... What a fab. experience to dine with some SUPER forum members
    Last edited by Calgray, Yorkshire; 8th June 2012, 04:57 PM. Reason: Put conservation instead of conversation !!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    There are so many people I can think of but here goes:

Peter Kay
    Joanna Lumley
    Gary Barlow
    Ruth Langsford
    Eamonn Holmes
    HRH Queen Elizabeth II
    John Lennon
    Robbie Williams
    Johnny Depp
    Marilyn Munroe
    Dalai Llama
    Neil Armstrong

Tintop

Leave a comment:

• carol, welwyn garden city
    replied
    As has already been said, I would like to share a table with some of the forum members, I also love spending time with my family and that would be perfect to, and my fantasy table selection would be: -

Stephen Fry
    Jamie Redknapp
    Victoria and
    David Beckham
    Simon Cowell
    Cameron Diaz
    Johnny Depp
    Whoopie Goldberg
    Dawn French
    Robbie Williams

May-be there all going on the same cruise as us next year! ................................................Ca rol

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X