• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pancake Tuesday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    We had the most gorgeous pancakes in St Petersburg last year, I can't remember the name of it but it was a fast food chain, the pancake equivalent of McDonalds. When the guide took us there (because we had 5 children and her daughter loved it) I must admit I wasn't expecting much but they were really delicious and pretty cheap. There was loads of choice, savoury and sweet. DH, DD and I all had ham and cheese and DS had caramelised apple. The only downside is he keeps wanting me to recreate it.

    Comment


      #17
      I think there is probably a big difference between what I would call pancakes and what other poster's call pancakes, for instance the fillngs mentioned here are more like the fillings you get when you order crepes on a ship or a hotel.Not the old fashioned pancakes my mother and I make.
      I agree with Jimbo tossing the pancakes is great fun with children wanting a go, I remember my mother tossing a pancake the dog running at her the pancake fell on the floor mother slipped on it we laughed all evening. CG
      sigpic

      Comment


        #18
        DH is the pancake-maker-extraordinaire in the this house, and the children love him to toss the pancakes BUT they also want a perfect round pancake so it's a bit of a Catch 22 situation.

        Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
        I think there is probably a big difference between what I would call pancakes and what other poster's call pancakes, for instance the fillngs mentioned here are more like the fillings you get when you order crepes on a ship or a hotel.Not the old fashioned pancakes my mother and I make.
        I agree with Jimbo tossing the pancakes is great fun with children wanting a go, I remember my mother tossing a pancake the dog running at her the pancake fell on the floor mother slipped on it we laughed all evening. CG

        Comment


          #19
          in Scotland our pancakes are smaller and thicker. to me thinner larger pancakes are crepes not pancakes.

          I make mine with self raising flour, sugar, milk and eggs. the consistency has got to be thick. I melt margarine [I don't like butter!] in a frying pan and then spoon the mixture into the pan, I can make 3 or 4 pancakes at the one time. I only eat mine warm with margarine.
          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

          Comment


            #20
            Yuck - partially hydrogenated vegetable oil is no substitute for healthy natural butter.
            The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
            T Pratchett.

            Comment


              #21
              I only realised that yesterday was Shrove Tuesday when I noticed, this morning, on our calendar, that today was Ash Wednesday! Quickly on line to dear Delia's recipe and Bingo - 4 each for lunch and another 4 each for "afters" tonight! PS Went to a preview of "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" last night. Hilarious!

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Santa, Redditch View Post
                Yuck - partially hydrogenated vegetable oil is no substitute for healthy natural butter.
                butter tastes disgusting though!!
                don't want to work, just want to cruise.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
                  in Scotland our pancakes are smaller and thicker. to me thinner larger pancakes are crepes not pancakes.

                  I make mine with self raising flour, sugar, milk and eggs. the consistency has got to be thick. I melt margarine [I don't like butter!] in a frying pan and then spoon the mixture into the pan, I can make 3 or 4 pancakes at the one time. I only eat mine warm with margarine.

                  Yuk yuk yuk! Margarine! yuk!

                  Agree - large thin ones are crepe - we do like you - 4 in the pan at the one time!

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
                    butter tastes disgusting though!!
                    For years we ate all manner of low fat spreads (margarines) then one Christmas at my daughters, she put a pat of Lurpak on the table. No turning back. It was delicious. We use it healthily by spreading it thinly. It's a natural product and though it contains saturated fat it doesn't have the hydrogenated fats and trans fatty acids in it as a lot of processed foods do.

                    As it turns out (and as we were relatively slow to learn), trans fats increase total cholesterol levels and LDL cholesterol levels. Worse (and in contrast to saturated fats), they reduce HDL cholesterol levels. Trans fats also appear to interfere with the body's usage of omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for heart health.
                    Heart Health Centre

                    We use to put sugar and lemon juice on our pancakes but now it's pure maple syrup (another natural product).

                    It all a matter of taste. Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same.

                    Cheers OSD
                    Our cruising days are over now.................

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Old Sea Dog, Stockport View Post
                      For years we ate all manner of low fat spreads (margarines) then one Christmas at my daughters, she put a pat of Lurpak on the table. No turning back. It was delicious. We use it healthily by spreading it thinly. It's a natural product and though it contains saturated fat it doesn't have the hydrogenated fats and trans fatty acids in it as a lot of processed foods do.

                      As it turns out (and as we were relatively slow to learn), trans fats increase total cholesterol levels and LDL cholesterol levels. Worse (and in contrast to saturated fats), they reduce HDL cholesterol levels. Trans fats also appear to interfere with the body's usage of omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for heart health.
                      Heart Health Centre

                      We use to put sugar and lemon juice on our pancakes but now it's pure maple syrup (another natural product).

                      It all a matter of taste. Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same.

                      Cheers OSD
                      LURPAK!

                      This is the stuff you need!

                      Last edited by tomvet, limerick, roi; 22nd February 2012, 10:50 PM.

                      Comment


                      We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.


                      By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

                      Working...
                      X