• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pancake Tuesday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pancake Tuesday

Are pancakes such a big deal in the UK as they are over here today?

OH went out and bought a pancake maker in Aldi!

Are you an old fashioned sugar and lemon juice type or are you into more exotic blueberrys and ice cream person?

Golden syrup in our household tonight, that's what my children like on pancakes. It was a special treat for DD (6) who is usually not allowed any sugar as she has a tooth which grew without enough enamel on it. So tonight there was lots of toothbrushing.

Comment

Last time i had a pancake must be about forty years ago,is it on a Tuesday this year?

Comment

I will just have those in the picture please, very yummy!
        Lizzie sigpic

Comment

The picture looks more like American style buttermilk pancakes than our traditional style. I can't imagine a special appliance to make traditional pancakes.

Personally speaking, I agree with Britchic that golden syrup is the order of the day and the only proper pancake accompaniment.

Locally, pancakes are less in the news than the traditional Shrovetide tuesday football match in Ashbourne between the uppards and the downards. It goes on throughout the whole town which is boarded up in preparation, traditionally spends a lot of time in the river and lasts 2 days. Last I heard the score was 0-0 so far this year but it's probably only just drawing to a close for today and goals tend to come later in the evening so I may be out of date.
          Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

Hi Tom, The old fashioned type on Shrove Tuesday here, but I am not opposed to blueberries and ice cream at other times of the year as long as they are extremely thin like a crepe.

Comment

Originally posted by History Addict, Alfreton View Post
              The picture looks more like American style buttermilk pancakes than our traditional style. I can't imagine a special appliance to make traditional pancakes.

Personally speaking, I agree with Britchic that golden syrup is the order of the day and the only proper pancake accompaniment.

Locally, pancakes are less in the news than the traditional Shrovetide tuesday football match in Ashbourne between the uppards and the downards. It goes on throughout the whole town which is boarded up in preparation, traditionally spends a lot of time in the river and lasts 2 days. Last I heard the score was 0-0 so far this year but it's probably only just drawing to a close for today and goals tend to come later in the evening so I may be out of date.
              This is the gadget and it works very well!

Only €19.99 in Aldi!

Comment

Better pic of the gadget

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie, Lymington View Post
                  I will just have those in the picture please, very yummy!
                  Specially for you Madam

Peace offering!!

Comment

Then I will take it.......................
                    Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Looks like another gadget to join the George Foreman Grill to me.

All I need is flour, eggs, milk and salt. Whisk together to the consistency of double cream and leave in the fridge for half an hour. Heat a non-stick frying pan with some butter in it and cover the bottom with the mixture. After a couple of minutes flip it over and brown the other side. Fold up and put on a warm plate to serve with sugar and lemon juice.
                      The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
                      T Pratchett.

Comment

I cheated this year....there was a sell- by- date of a Gressingham duck with pancakes and sauce.....going really cheap, so I killed 2 birds with one stone, so to speak- we had crispy duck and pancakes with it! It was brilliant, too....
                        Jo.
                        Jo.

Comment

Home made here in the pan toss and flip, kids love that bit Then sugar and lemon juice Yummy
                          Grandkids and wife are not here this week so made them for myself, had them for 65 YEARS not missing this one :-)

Err how do you retrieve a pancake from the ceiling before she gets home please

Jimbo
                          Chillu chi nun si fa l'affari sua, cc? la linterna va circann? guai:
                          He who doesn't mind his own business
                          uses his lantern to look for trouble.

Comment

Those pancakes are far fatter than ours more the American style , we have had pancakes on Shrove Tuesday in our house as far back as I can remember but no syrup, a sprinkling of sugar and and a nice squeeze of lemon juice. CG
                            sigpic

Comment

Our local restaurant, normally very quiet in Tuesdays, held a Pancake Night, and was packed. The menu consisted of eight savoury pancakes and eight sweet ones, and the dinners could choose five of them for £19. The six usual suspects (Daughter and Son-in-law, his parents, and us) had a really good time, except we left around 9 pm as Alan was in danger of falling asleep due to jet lag. Judith

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X