• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you Pay $200pp to dine at Sea?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you Pay $200pp to dine at Sea?

The trend for alternative dining was started by NCL in the 1980’s where the first for-fee restaurant was opened. In recent years though it seems cruise lines are scrambling to add their own speciality restaurant. More and more land-based brands and celebrity chefs are lending their hands to the onboard restaurants to provide that special evening.

Most alternative dining venues charge an extra £15 to £30 per person. However it seems Silversea is pushing the boundaries as they are charging a massive $200pp to dine in Le Champagne, the only Relais & Châteaux Restaurant at sea. So what do you get for this cost? Le Champagne offers a six course tasting menu of regionally inspired dishes with rare wine complementing the dishes.

Do you think it’s worth the extra cost to dine in the speciality restaurant?
    Jimmy the One & Only
    Cruises.co.uk Community Manager

Hello Jimmy the one,
    Well, on my last cruise on Equinox there was a Murano tasting type menu which from memory was about $85 per person with a different wine at each course which seemed pricey enough. When we added some champagne it was over $100.
    Perhaps as a one off the Silversea one would be a great treat. Some excursions are almost this price so I would look on it as in place of an excursion maybe or for an Anniversary.
    Heather

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy the One View Post
      Do you think it’s worth the extra cost to dine in the speciality restaurant?
      Not on the cruises we've been on. The food in the MDR has been excellent. I might pay for a S.E.Asian occasion for a change, if on a long cruise, but that's about it.

Comment

No. Most 7 course tasting menus in 3* Michelin restaurants cost less than that, which I know doesn't include wine but you have already paid for 'common' as opposed to 'rare' wine on Silversea anyway.

Comment

I like going to the speciality restaurants but would not pay $200. $25-$35 is OK but $200 even with wine is a step too far. or should that be $170 too far?
          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

No way!!!

I would hope that the food would be superb everywhere on Silversea, so I would not be looking to pay again!!
            Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Yes, the issue that I have with alternative dining surcharges is that you have already paid for meals each day in your fare. On Siversea I would expect the 'included' food to be excellent, without having to pay a surcharge.
              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Surely the issue is that you do not need to use these alternative dining rooms. I have never used one, so why worry about the cost??

Comment

I wouldn't be happy paying that amount either. Remember, it isn't the cost of the meal, but an extra charge, because passengers have already paid for a meal with wine.
                  Angela

Comment

USD200pp - I have got 7 day cruises for less than twice that per person. Not a chance!!

Comment

Hi Silversea only charge this cost if you wish to experience very expensive wines with your meal. The cost of the menu without wines is a more modest cost ($40).

Comment

It's a no from me. I cook beautiful, sumptious meals at home, rarely drink so that is wasted on me. Having paid for all my meals in advance, I am not about to pay any more for food. no matter how fine it is.

Comment

We happily paid £75 for the Chef's table on Princess and we thought it was a great evening and the food and wine were exellent (not to mention the good company).

I would not have been so happy if I had paid £200 though and I think I would draw the line at £100 - and that only for a very special experience.
                          The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
                          T Pratchett.

Comment

Originally posted by Elsie's Mum View Post
                            It's a no from me. I cook beautiful, sumptious meals at home, rarely drink so that is wasted on me. Having paid for all my meals in advance, I am not about to pay any more for food. no matter how fine it is.
                            We have sailed with NCL twice. Once on the Pearl and we ate in most of the speciality restaruants because the food in the MDR was bordering on inedible.

On the jade last year we ate in Papas Italian kitchen and the food was poor but the MDR was excellent.

Must be a case of hit and miss!

Comment

Speciality Restaurants

Only tried once, on an NCL ship's Asian restaurant. Food was rubbish, service even worse. Never again, though we've looked at the speciality menus on other ships but decided not sufficiently different to make us want to pay again.
                              Some ships have speciality Italian restaurants but better to take a 7 day low cost Costa cruise where the Italian food is superb and service to match. On our Costa cruise the Maitre d' came round to every table every night with his 2 i/c and checked that all was well with food and service. Which it was
                              On one P & O ship they had a guest chef who prepared a special menu for the main restuarant. We tried, it was hopeless. Later on a tour of the galley we spoke to one of the chefs who told us - very quietly - that the the chefs had told the head chef that the dishes wouldn't work for a large restauarant but were overruled.....not so special!

Gordy

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X