• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time taken for Dinner.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigMac, Glasgow View Post
    I was scared to join in, just in case JC starts barking at me as well, for liking Cunard.

The opposite thing happened to me a couple of years or so, ago, when we on board Cunard QE.

It was the first meeting of the three Queens in Lisbon. As QE is the Flagship, we were first under the 25 April Bridge.

It was a beautiful day and we opted to have lunch in the Courtyard (JC- this is the alfresco dining area between QG and PG).

We were anxious to disembark in order to get some photo opportunities. Anyway, I has a curry of sorts and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Later, in the evening, probably just after 8:00 pm, I was approached by Eduardo, Head Waiter for our section, who enquired if my lunch was to my satisfaction. I told him that it was, and he then asked how was the service. I told him as good as usual. He then asked if the waiter (not our usual) had upset me for any reason. I told him not at all. He then said that they wondered why I left before the dessert I ordered was served. OOPS! in my haste, I had totally forgotten that I had ordered ice cream.

I apologised for embarrassing the waiter and asked to speak to him personally to say sorry ( and slip him a $5 bill for my stupidity).

Stewart
    Hi Stewart
    Woof woof!!

ps,why would knowing where the Courtyard is be any interest to me?...I will never eat in there,,,,thank god!!!

Btw,do you think Eduardo would give you the same attention if you had been travelling in Steerage?

JC
    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
      Well you did say the experts would know ................Wilba
      Hi Wilba

i always laugh when I hear people say 'Don't listen to experts',,,,,,I always wonder if the they take their car to the dentist when they have a problem with the engine.
      JC
      Last edited by jc, liverpool; 10th January 2018, 03:07 PM.
      C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
      "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
        Hi Stewart
        Woof woof!!

ps,why would knowing where the Courtyard is be any interest to me?...I will never eat in there,,,,thank god!!!

Btw,do you think Eduardo would give you the same attention if you had been travelling in Steerage?

JC
        You learn something new every day. I know ''service'' charges can be complimentary on Cunard world trips for some UK passengers but I didn't realise [and here I'm making a possibly large assumption the passenger involved is from the UK] other cruises had pre paid tips included in fares.
        That was a good point Wilba made if that is indeed the case.

BTW
        Eduardo was definitely in Britannia on the '17 World Cruise. I know a couple of people for whom he was their Head Waiter, and they think the sun shines out of his posterior so in answer to your musings, probably yes!

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
          Hi Taffy.
          Probably shows how a wrong table can effect your evening.

Luckily i was travelling with my Sister in Law and her husband,,,i requested a table for 4,and got one.
          NYE was a pleasure,,,but i never have Lobster any more,,,,once bitten twice shy,,,,can be tough,a bit like Calamari if not cooked right.

My SiL had the Chocolate Teardrop (an Eric Lanlard special i believe),,,,very,very rich she said,the waiter brought an extra one for all to try,it never got eaten,,,,i would have had a hyperglycemic reaction if i had eaten that.

My BiL had the Cranberry,Banana and Popcorn cheesecake with a Peach schnapps.
          He had eaten the cheesecake and drank the Schnapps,,,,then waiter informed him he should have poured the Schnapps over the cheesecake,,,,Chav!!!

I stick to the Cheese board,and always ask for the coffee to be served at the same time,,,i always ask for a Double Espresso,not the stuff out of the coffee pot,,,that way they have to send an assistant to Costa for a proper coffee.

What was good on Oceana was the selection of fish for mains,,,,always at least 3 choices,,one days example,,,Sole,Swordfish or Salmon,on others Crayfish/Salmon mousse,Atlantic Cod or Pollock or Grey Mullet.
          As someone who is slowly becoming pescatarian (i'm going off red meat) the food was good.

Coupled with a couple of bottles of Prosecco,,,a good glass of Port,,,Finishing with a Jamesons (Don't like Brandy),a good meal was enjoyed by all.

Did you have the 'Ode to the Haggis' event?

I said to a lady on the next table 'It looks like they have cut its legs off',she said 'The senior officers probably get the legs',,,,,,,i kid you not,she was serious!!!!
          JC
          No ode to the Haggis .no waiter's parade unless I missed it?

We were allocated tables ,no choice in the matter,We always opted for a shared table for both Lunch and Diner, and found we had great table companion's for the meals, for what ever reason we were allocated a table for the two main nights,As I pointed out to Manager why not do what you did on every other night and fill the tables, not leave half empty tables ,both meals we virtually ate alone ....Taffy
          ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
            George, I have said this before to you, but I'll repeat. I do not take offence and nor should you or anyone else. This is an open internet forum, not a cosy coffee morning for chat, coffee and cake. The three Cs are more the style of the Forum Cruisers although the middle C is more likely to be Kahlúa than coffee!

If a comment is made with which you disagree, then question it but don't take offence at any reply and don't feel you've been insulted. The same goes for any comment made which is questioned. Don't take offence.
            Mrs. M after nearly 40 yrs. in the railway where I've been called every thing under the sun spat on every week assaulted every week beer poured over me parentage questioned every day,steel pins in my leg after an assault bombed by the IRA called a thief when I told people price of ticket, I can promise you nothing offends me now, but thanks for your reply I will keep it in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
              We actually like the tables for two that are close to each other because we can chat if the neighbours are willing, but also have our meal at our own pace.
              Our biggest bugbear.

When we chose a table for two we do it because we want a nice quiet meal. Nothing is worse than those who chose a table for two and then spend the whole meal shouting across to the adjacent table for two.

Why don't they choose a larger table if they want to chat?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                Our biggest bugbear.

When we chose a table for two we do it because we want a nice quiet meal. Nothing is worse than those who chose a table for two and then spend the whole meal shouting across to the adjacent table for two.

Why don't they choose a larger table if they want to chat?
                Note that I said "If the neighbours are willing". There is no need to shout when the tables are close together and it is easy to judge whether neighbours want to chat or not.

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
                  Note that I said "If the neighbours are willing". There is no need to shout when the tables are close together and it is easy to judge whether neighbours want to chat or not.
                  Hi smtcan,
                  I was not referring to yourselves, and others, who can tell "if the neighbours are willing".

Even worse, on one occasion we had a table for 2 on our left talking across us to a table of 2 on our right. Unbelievable.

Comment

One evening on Indpendence of the Seas the service was extremely slow even though it was a table for two.

The restaurant was thinning out and a waiter was clearing a table just across from us so I asked him if I could have some orange juice and toast as I assumed breakfast service was about to start.

They got the message and next night were still apologising for poor service and that night was much improved.

Comment

The best service we have ever had was on our first cruise on Ventura, we had the same table for two with the same two waiters, eleven out of the 13 night we were on board, fantastic fast and efficient service, they knew we liked to make the 9pm show.

One of the other two nights on the same cruise we did get a table for two where they are all close together in a row, the couple on one side of us were very chatty on the other side they did not want to know.

Since then although we still have had freedom or anytime dining, we have always asked for a table of 6 or 8.

This was our table for two.

Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...