• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time taken for Dinner.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time taken for Dinner.

Hi all
    I was astonished to read a post on another forum from a passenger on Queen Victoria's NYE cruise.
    She was docked in front of us (Oceana) in Amsterdam on NYE.

The poster complained that they went to dinner at 20:30,,,,and no food had arrived by 21:30,when the starter arrived.
    A long time later the Main course arrived.
    By the time they finished the Main the fireworks where about to start outside,,,,the MD suggested they miss the dessert to be able to see the fireworks.
    They didn't wait for the dessert,,,,,they did say they were one of the last tables in the MDR,,,,the rest had eaten and left to enjoy the fireworks.
    The waiting staff said it was because the restaurant was busy.

The poster asked at reception for the service charged to be removed,but was told its not possible to it on board?
    They were offered a glass of red wine and a better steak meal as compo.

On Aurora in November we gave up after 2hrs and after apologising to fellow table mates left after the Main,as did another couple ,,,,,i like to dine at 19:00 and be out by 20:30 at the latest.

I eat to live,not live to eat!!!!

What do you think is a suitable time to dine,or even receive your Starter?
    JC
    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
    Hi all
    I was astonished to read a post on another forum from a passenger on Queen Victoria's NYE cruise.
    She was docked in front of us (Oceana) in Amsterdam on NYE.

The poster complained that they went to dinner at 20:30,,,,and no food had arrived by 21:30,when the starter arrived.
    A long time later the Main course arrived.
    By the time they finished the Main the fireworks where about to start outside,,,,the MD suggested they miss the dessert to be able to see the fireworks.
    They didn't wait for the dessert,,,,,they did say they were one of the last tables in the MDR,,,,the rest had eaten and left to enjoy the fireworks.
    The waiting staff said it was because the restaurant was busy.

The poster asked at reception for the service charged to be removed,but was told its not possible to it on board?
    They were offered a glass of red wine and a better steak meal as compo.

On Aurora in November we gave up after 2hrs and after apologising to fellow table mates left after the Main,as did another couple ,,,,,i like to dine at 19:00 and be out by 20:30 at the latest.

I eat to live,not live to eat!!!!

What do you think is a suitable time to dine,or even receive your Starter?
    JC
    Hi JC

So many unknown factors.

What was the table size? Did fellow passengers arrive late to dinner? How do Cunard organise the serving of dinner?

From ordering to arrival of starter, 30 minutes is my rule of thumb. Anything longer than that gives me the heads up that something is amiss.

Annie

Comment

15mins to get order and start bringing food should be possible.

If the diners want to linger over the menu and take their time then they drive the timings.

It should be possible to feed everyone 3 courses comfortably in 1.5hrs, The table may drive a slower pace

ON Celebrity flexible if you turn up 9:00pm they can have you done by 10:pm and that includes any coffee and liqueurs.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
        Hi JC

So many unknown factors.

What was the table size? Did fellow passengers arrive late to dinner? How do Cunard organise the serving of dinner?

From ordering to arrival of starter, 30 minutes is my rule of thumb. Anything longer than that gives me the heads up that something is amiss.

Annie
        I agree plus, it's often not the original problem which is the main source of irritation, but how it's dealt with.

The wait staff might have been run off their feet but an hour to wait for the first glimmer of food to arrive is unacceptable and the Head Waiter will have known this. A more substantial gesture would have gone a long way to appease. As it is, the person has posted about his/her displeasure on at least three websites as far as I can see. I don't blame the person for feeling his/her NYEve celebrations had been compromised and so wanted to show his/her displeasure by removing auto grats.

Auto grats can usually be removed/amended at the Purser's Desk and I have no idea why it wasn't allowed on this particular cruise.

Comment

That seems ridiculously long - as Annie says what other factors came in to play here?

We can have 6 courses when on a table for 2 and be in and out in an hour and a half

Comment

Large tables always seem to be slower than tables for two. After being seated with table companions who were always late and took ages to decide on the five courses they were having (we typically have an appetizer, main and sometimes dessert), we decided to try select dining on future cruises. We actually like the tables for two that are close to each other because we can chat if the neighbours are willing, but also have our meal at our own pace.

An hour seems an inordinately long time to wait for service if everyone is seated on time. I would have been seeking out the Maitre d' after half that time. Getting problems sorted out at the time is better than complaining afterwards.

Comment

Hi All, We personally like to take our time over dinner, I like to have a natter to either Hubby if on a table for 2. Or other guests if on a larger table, However I would not dream of moaning or missing a great show or firework display over a missed course. Its a cruise for goodness sake, You can eat nearly 24/7.!! Don't know why the poster is unhappy myself. Jan.

Comment

I'd have no hesitation either of missing a course, so I could see something I really wanted to.

I do find that the 20.30 dining time is quite tight to be done and dusted before 22.00 so you can get to the next show, especially if you have interesting dining companions, and like to chat. .................................................. ...................Carol

Comment

Well our disaster and well below par service in Qm2 MDR was well documented, lead to me removing grats on board for the first time ever, a long discussion with the Maitre D and a complaint letter once home also got us £200 off a future Cunard cruise (cabin cleanliness issues also and gluten contamination)
                  it was the worse service at sea we have ever experienced. The time for each course and the time taken to clear was below what I'd expect in a cafe.

Comment

Table for 2 or the buffet that way we control our own destiny, I am happy for a slow dinner but it is or our choosing/making and not as a result of problems in the kitchen or service

John

Comment

Seems a lot of fuss over a bowl of pudding, but I do agree that 1.5hrs is more than adequate to serve a three course meal...........Wilba
                      Wilba

Comment

When I am not cruising with fellow forum members I find 1.5 hours for dinner more than adequate. As I normally choose any time or freedom dining I normally like a 7pm sitting which gives me plenty of time for dinner prior to the 9pm show.
                        Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

On a large table, I'm prepared to allow 2 hours max. for dinner, but on Celebrity any time dining we're rarely more than an hour on a table for 2.

Comment

Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
                            Hi All, We personally like to take our time over dinner, I like to have a natter to either Hubby if on a table for 2. Or other guests if on a larger table, However I would not dream of moaning or missing a great show or firework display over a missed course. Its a cruise for goodness sake, You can eat nearly 24/7.!! Don't know why the poster is unhappy myself. Jan.
                            Hi Jan
                            Hi jan
                            If I was sat for over 3hrs at dinner and not even got to the pudding,I would have been fuming.
                            I think that was the point,,not missing a pudding to see the fireworks.

JC
                            C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                            "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

I'd say that dinner should be around 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on the table size.

I've know the first courses to come slow, then things speed up.

Some lines only allow 1.5 hours bofore the show, which can be a bit too tight.
                              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X