• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Queuing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Queuing

Passengers started queuing at 17.30 today, as they do every day on Ventura, for the freedom dining which opens at 18.00. Discuss.

I would not want to queue, but then I wouldn't want to eat that early anyway.

Are they queuing to go in or just to request a table for a later time do we know?...Carol

Comment

Nothing changes ILS. People on P&O always queued outside the MDR well before opening time even before the days of Freedom Dining, even though a fixed table was booked for the whole of the cruise.

It's the British mentality............If they see a queue, they think they should be in it.............Wilba
      Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post
        Passengers started queuing at 17.30 today, as they do every day on Ventura, for the freedom dining which opens at 18.00. Discuss.
        When I was last on Ventura if you had freedom dining you could book a table either via the phone in your cabin or by visiting the MDR but only at certain times in the day or you could take a chance and just turn up.

If booking a table you could only do it on a daily basis, it was our first cruise and we liked a table for two at 7pm, we chose 7pm in order to make the 9pm show in the main theatre. but you had to ring as soon as the phone line opened to make sure of getting a table of your choice.
        We managed to get the same table 11 out of the 13 nights, so had the same waiters each night, who got to know our likes and dislikes. The option of pre booking a table is no longer available with P&O. On the same cruise we knew a couple who were on set dining at 6pm because that was the time they had their evening meal at home.

You could also pre book with RCI IOS, which we did on a few nights as we were eating with others we knew on board. Other than that we take our chance and just turn up and ask for a table of eight, only once been given a pager and had to wait for a table. We always book freedom or anytime dining.
        Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 20th November 2017, 04:36 PM.
        Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post
          Happens on other ships too - not unique to Ventura.

Annie

Comment

No, don't do queues. Also don't eat so early, but many do to be sure to get 'their' seat in the theatre. We usually eat about 8.30 p.m. when there is no problem.

Comment

I've got Freedom dining on Ventura next Feb. I might start queuing at 17.00, so I can be first .................................Carol

Comment

Yes, not only Ventura, I just don't get it. Queue for dinner, queue for a show, queue to get off, queue to get on....................if there's a queue go and get a drink and come back when it's gone. We were standing outside a restaurant one lunchtime (12o'clockish) reading the menu, never realised that we had started a queue of people wanting to be first in for lunch.

Planes are another one, you have a seat number, you are sitting waiting then they open for boarding and everyone charges to join the queue. Just carry on sitting and wait, the plane is going nowhere fast. Then when you land they all jump up and start getting bags and queue in the aisle. You are going to be on the plane for at least another 15mins....SIT DOWN!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Don't like eating too early but unfortunately Cunard don't have freedom dining so its the lesser of two evils . 8 30 is too late for us so its 6 to 630 we eat .

Comment

I used to be worried about being late for dinner and we would queue with everyone else to get in the MDR so as not to hold service up. Nowadays we hold back and let the rush subside.
                    We're going cruising soon and the ship has open dining. I'm certainly not going to start queuing half an hour before the doors open. Too many other better ways to spend our time.
                    BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

This is one area where Princess have probably optimized the options on their ships with 3 rooms.

last trip
                      Booking available on anytime.
                      One room is used for traditional 2 seating 5:30& 8:00(time vary depending on the itinerary often a bit later seen 6:00& 8:30)
                      One room is used for anytime dining from 5:00
                      One room is used for a Early seating 5:30(always V.early) followed by anytime dining.

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                        I've got Freedom dining on Ventura next Feb. I might start queuing at 17.00, so I can be first .................................Carol
                        We saw a lady do that on Oceana Opening at 6 she was first in the queue every night at 5pm or just after, they "Had to get Their Table",we sat in a bare watching this every night, by 5-30 there was quite a queue?
                        On Britannia because there are more tables for two there is no need to queue ,but they do.
                        We found it the same on Cunard ,fixed dining time and an allotted table yet they were queuing to get in every night.(Must have been starving) Celebrity it was no better Even in Blu which is mainly tables for two they still queued up not many ,one man arguing with the Manager about not opening on time "according to his watch"fascinating to watch....Taffy
                        ​Taffy

Comment

I confess to being early for just about everything. I can't help it, it is a personality trait! I usually get to the MDR a few minutes before it opens, I just hate being late ...
                          2018-
                          Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                          NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                          Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                          Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                          Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by Yogini, Waterlooville View Post
                            I confess to being early for just about everything. I can't help it, it is a personality trait! I usually get to the MDR a few minutes before it opens, I just hate being late ...
                            I share the same trait but I don't queue for dinner - probably because I rarely eat it

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                              Nothing changes ILS. People on P&O always queued outside the MDR well before opening time even before the days of Freedom Dining, even though a fixed table was booked for the whole of the cruise.

It's the British mentality............If they see a queue, they think they should be in it.............Wilba
                              Too true. I well remember the days of the 'Dinner Gong' on P&O announcing the dinner sitting was open. People had been queing outside the MDR and snaking up the stairs half hour before, even though they had assigned tables and like clockwork the dining room doors would always open at either 6.30 or 8.30pm
                              Last edited by Bradbury, Coventry; 21st November 2017, 12:07 PM.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X