• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Table Waiters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Table Waiters

How important is it to you how you built up a rapport (or not as the case maybe), with your table waiters.

We cruised on Reflection last year; a group of six of us and although on Select Dining, as were very happy with the table assignment we asked for the same table every night. We had a lovely waiter from Kusadassi and his assistant a lovely lady from Serbia.

We have just returned from a very enjoyable cruise on Equinox and on the second night our travel companions (just four of us this time) spotted our waiter from last year. We duly called him over and he stood looked at us and said I remember you, you were a table of six and had a table which was situated over there - pointing to the same ship location near the balcony of the dining room. He said he remembered us as we had so much fun. We asked where his assistant Milena was and was told she was now a waiter (no longer an assistant) the only female waiter on board ship. She later cam running over and we all hugged, promising to ask for her table the next night.

Most nights we did manage to be seated at her table (she was popular) and both of them, although working at other ends of the restaurant made such a fuss of us. He would come running over from his side to help her and talk to us it made us feel so special.

Do you have any similar experiences.

We always make an effort to get to know our waiters. Strangely we've found it easier to do when it's just been us on the table rather than a mixed table.
    Our first cruise we had on Indy our waiters were Nathaniel and Eugene. They made a real fuss of our daughter a and Nathaniel was really pleased when on the last night our very shy younger daughter plucked up the courage to order her own meal. He said it made his cruise that she spoke to him.
    Our next cruise on Indy we had a shared table with another family. The waiters were great and kept the kids entertained with magic tricks but we didn't chat to them as much.
    On our last cruise on explorer in June we had Michael and olex. Michael was from India and olex from the Ukraine. They made our holiday special. We chatted freely about their homes and families, the war in Ukraine. There working life with r.c.I etc
    We only missed one night in mdr and that was the evening we where in Palma.
    They spoiled the girls rotten and looked after me with my gluten allergy wonderfully. Although I was extremely embarrassed when they sang me happy birthday.
    I was quite sad leaving the mdr on the last night.

My friends has their first ever cruise in July on explorer. My friends 11 year old son broke his heart crying saying goodbye to their waiters on the last night. Totally uncool as his age but he was totally overcome with emotion as to how much he had loved the waiters.

Comment

On Ocean Majesty we had fixed dining and chose second sitting. We met Bernard, who was fabulous and also made friends with Angelo who worked in the Observation Lounge. The following year we were at the opposite end of the MDR from Bernard's table but he still came to say hello, Angelo was then the wine waiter at Bernard's station and he came for a hug and kiss too. I think our table companions thought I was a bit familiar with the crew. We've sailed On Seabourn Spirit for four years and have got to know most of the crew and entertainment team. That's what makes it so special.

Comment

We not only like to know the waiters, but also the Maitre'd
        We prefer freedom dinning now these days, but we still,get to know the waiters who serve us, sometimes the head waiter puts us on the same table with the same waiters, but what we do is when we've had exceptional service from some of the waiters on freedom dinning we mention this on the way out to the Maitre'd,who is only to pleased to praise that particulate waiter, and believe me they will remember you next time, those waiters work their socks of every day, and I think they need praise when it's due.

Comment

Sommeliers come in handy too. On Seabourn Spirit, last year, at dinner on the first night, we were a table of six. Alex, the sommelier asked one gentleman to taste the wine and the rest of us agreed to go with it. Five glasses were poured but mine remained empty. I thought I'd been forgotten (not like him) then he appeared with a bottle of Wingspan. "Oh Alex, that's my favourite". "Yes, Mrs Cooke, I know". Bless him!

Comment

Of all the cruises we have been on some waiters are more memorable than others. We always like to get to now them and have a chat but sadly on some recent cruises they seem to have less time to interact with passengers. One of the most memorable was on Queen Elisabeth. We had a lovely table at the back of the Britannia restaurant by the large window. Out waitress, Wong and assistant Katriona looked after us really well and always had time for a chat. They could serve us super fast if we wanted to be out early to see the show, or more leisurely when it suited us.

Comment

On P&O found evening meals waiter is the same every night and its always good service, but midday when its different waiters each day they tend to be very lazy with a cannot be bothered attitude.

Comment

On our P&O Ventura cruise we had Freedom Dining and had the same table for two, 11 out of the 14 nights on board, our waiters were John & Cyril. They were extremely friendly and would make a point of coming over to speak to us whenever they saw us on board, during the day they often worked in the buffet.

A couple of years later we were on board Azura overnight, for the naming ceremony and the Gala dinner. During the dinner my wife had to visit the ladies room, as she was walking back to our table, a waiter rushed over and said hello Mrs ...., gave her a hug and a kiss. It was John one of the two waiters we had on Ventura, not only had he remembered her, he had also remembered our surname. He later came over to our table to have a chat with both of us.

I am always staggered how they remember people, even more that they remember your name.
                Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 30th August 2015, 09:08 AM.
                Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

If that is their attitude, change your cruise line

Comment

Originally posted by zopadooper, skegness (2) View Post
                    If that is their attitude, change your cruise line
                    As you have not attached a quote, have no idea you you are referring to.
                    Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

Had some really good waiters over the years ,most are very good at there job and help make our cruise enjoyable.
                      We prefer open dining but like to have the same waiting staff ,which in Celebrities case you can request to be served by the same team each night.Best Barman was Gabriel on Eclipse he served in the Elite lounge,on Eclipse drinks were always waiting for us and topped up without asking.
                      Worst was on P&O ended up pouring our own wine Maitre'd asked what I was doing ,I explained we had been waiting for the wine waiter to refill our glasses ? He said "Thats his Job " I suggested that he tried to do it a bit better.
                      Gave up ordering wine on Azura as it rarely came in time to be enjoyed with the meal...Taffy
                      ​Taffy

Comment

Looks like its just me then, can't remember any waiters name, I smile and am polite, they smile are polite to me, get me extras if I ask. None of them have been rude to me or spilt any thing on me, and that's just how I like it .................................................. Carol

Comment

As someone who has converted to Freedom/Anytime Dining over recent years I take advantage eating in between the Traditional sittings at say, 7.30 pm each night and if we get a table position and waiters we like on the first or second night, we 'book' that table, same time for every night of the cruise.

Before anyone comments as to why not stick to Traditional if you want the same times, Second sitting has become too late for us and First sitting has always been too early.

As for remembering waiters names, I have difficulty remembering my own after a few glasses of red...........Wilba
                          Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                            As someone who has converted to Freedom/Anytime Dining over recent years I take advantage eating in between the Traditional sittings at say, 7.30 pm each night and if we get a table position and waiters we like on the first or second night, we 'book' that table, same time for every night of the cruise.

Before anyone comments as to why not stick to Traditional if you want the same times, Second sitting has become too late for us and First sitting has always been too early.

As for remembering waiters names, I have difficulty remembering my own after a few glasses of red...........Wilba
                            Wilba

I totally agree, we have always had Freedom/Anytime dining, when in my post I said we had the same table for 11 of the 14 nights on Freedom dining on Ventura, it was when you used to be able to book a table on P&O if you had Freedom dining, think they have since stopped it, I know you can still book a table on RCI.

I also cannot remember names had to ask my wife, she had a photo taken with John and its on there, but I cannot find it .
                            Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 30th August 2015, 11:19 AM.
                            Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkinsmg View Post
                              We always make an effort to get to know our waiters. Strangely we've found it easier to do when it's just been us on the table rather than a mixed table.
                              Our first cruise we had on Indy our waiters were Nathaniel and Eugene. They made a real fuss of our daughter a and Nathaniel was really pleased when on the last night our very shy younger daughter plucked up the courage to order her own meal. He said it made his cruise that she spoke to him.
                              Our next cruise on Indy we had a shared table with another family. The waiters were great and kept the kids entertained with magic tricks but we didn't chat to them as much.
                              On our last cruise on explorer in June we had Michael and olex. Michael was from India and olex from the Ukraine. They made our holiday special. We chatted freely about their homes and families, the war in Ukraine. There working life with r.c.I etc
                              We only missed one night in mdr and that was the evening we where in Palma.
                              They spoiled the girls rotten and looked after me with my gluten allergy wonderfully. Although I was extremely embarrassed when they sang me happy birthday.
                              I was quite sad leaving the mdr on the last night.

My friends has their first ever cruise in July on explorer. My friends 11 year old son broke his heart crying saying goodbye to their waiters on the last night. Totally uncool as his age but he was totally overcome with emotion as to how much he had loved the waiters.
                              I do love it when they make a fuss of the children. When our were younger the waiters used to entertain them with napkin folding and once when my son when asked what he wanted for dessert said 'nothing' thank you. The waiter brought out the desserts, placed a plate down in front of my son and said for you sir - nothing, on which he had squirted the raspberry juice and written on the plate 'nothing' in script writing.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X