• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCL Enhances MDR Menus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCL Enhances MDR Menus

Apologies in advance if this was posted previously - I have then missed it.

I picked up this information from a couple of American cruise forums.

Norwegian Cruise Line Enhances Main Dining Menus - Norwegian Cruise Line

I think possibly an interesting development. NCL now realise that a section of their customer base will not pay for speciality restaurants.

Annie

I think it's fair to say that the last nine or ten cruises I have been on across a number of lines, the Speciality Restaurants have been dramatically underwhelmed with custom.

Walk past these places any night and witness just a smattering of tables in action.

The one exception has been the Tepanyaki venues on the NCL ships which only take about eight people per sitting, about three times per night. These are extremely popular for the entertainment value the chefs bring to the table.

I am not surprised that cruiselines are having a rethink on Speciality Restaurants............Wilba
    Wilba

Comment

I'll stick to P&O, on the forum visit to the Getaway I struggled to find any thing I liked on the menu, decided on the chateaubriand, and then could only eat the middle bit............................................... ...............................Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
        I think it's fair to say that the last nine or ten cruises I have been on across a number of lines, the Speciality Restaurants have been dramatically underwhelmed with custom.

Walk past these places any night and witness just a smattering of tables in action.

The one exception has been the Tepanyaki venues on the NCL ships which only take about eight people per sitting, about three times per night. These are extremely popular for the entertainment value the chefs bring to the table.

I am not surprised that cruiselines are having a rethink on Speciality Restaurants............Wilba
        It's 8 per table but they can squeeze 10,

there are 4 tables on the jade(jewel class) and they do 4 sittings a night,

breakaway/getaway have 12 tables

Shorter cruises ex USA most cruise lines seem to get plenty of custom for their specialities, more of an issue on longer cruise and Europe.

Comment

I have a feeling that this change is part of the regular change cycle of NCL MDR menus, the current ones have been around for some time, there have been a few minor changes but time for revamp(regulars get fed up) an opportunity to wrap it in some marketing speak.

Thing is with any menu(on any ship) just mix and match what's on the list and get something you like if the combinations on offer don't appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
            I'll stick to P&O, on the forum visit to the Getaway I struggled to find any thing I liked on the menu, decided on the chateaubriand, and then could only eat the middle bit............................................... ...............................Carol
            And even more dire for us veggies!

Comment

Probably just me but steak is the one item I avoid in any mass catering outlet.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                I have a feeling that this change is part of the regular change cycle of NCL MDR menus, the current ones have been around for some time, there have been a few minor changes but time for revamp(regulars get fed up) an opportunity to wrap it in some marketing speak.

Thing is with any menu(on any ship) just mix and match what's on the list and get something you like if the combinations on offer don't appeal.
                My thoughts Exactly Topdeck,they all seem to do it at some point..Taffy
                ​Taffy

Comment

I'll stick to P&O, on the forum visit to the Getaway I struggled to find any thing I liked on the menu...
                  Hi Carol, NCL's new ship have at least 10 dining rooms/options, with different menus. This MUST surely be more choices than is available on-board any P&O ship?
                  See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
                    Hi Carol, NCL's new ship have at least 10 dining rooms/options, with different menus. This MUST surely be more choices than is available on-board any P&O ship?
                    How many are chargeable ? That is the issue.

Annie

Comment

As long as I can still pick the Ice Cream Volcano off the kids menu

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post

Hi Wilba
                        I agree with you.
                        On my Azura cruise last month,Sinduh was never more than a third full,Seventeen even worse,,,,,the Glasshouse was always full,great atmosphere and Fish and Chips (£4.95) to die for.They had no F&C in the MDR that week.!!!!
                        Can't see the point personally in paying $40 for a meal,,,,,when you have the MDR.

What i see is the cruise line who promote paying extra to eat saying,,,,,,,the MDR is rubbish,,eat in our speciality cafe's.
                        JC
                        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                          Hi Wilba
                          I agree with you.
                          On my Azura cruise last month,Sinduh was never more than a third full,Seventeen even worse,,,,,the Glasshouse was always full,great atmosphere and Fish and Chips (£4.95) to die for.They had no F&C in the MDR that week.!!!!
                          Can't see the point personally in paying $40 for a meal,,,,,when you have the MDR.

What i see is the cruise line who promote paying extra to eat saying,,,,,,,the MDR is rubbish,,eat in our speciality cafe's.
                          JC
                          Hi JC

That is how I interpret speciality restaurants too and so far have avoided NCL for that reason.

You imagine the bill for a family of 4 after 1 week of speciality dining?

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                            Hi JC

That is how I interpret speciality restaurants too and so far have avoided NCL for that reason.

You imagine the bill for a family of 4 after 1 week of speciality dining?

Annie
                            Hi Annie.
                            Some eat in the speciality cafe's every night,,,,,,,,,they must be the advertisers delight.
                            I have read some say a certain ships cafe is brilliant because you order on a iPad,,,,,,Wow!!!!
                            And then you get these little things on sticks,,,,called food!!!!!,a bit like those photo's they have outside the cafe's in Benidorm,,,,but these meals are better because the photo's are on an iPad....I kid you not!!!!!!

How can you make 'couscous' look good on a photo or an iPad?

'You can fool some of the people some of the time,but not..........................me.'
                            JC
                            C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                            "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry, Hastings View Post
                              And even more dire for us veggies!
                              Agreed, Harry. The least impressive menu choices I have had were on Jade. One meal that has stuck in my mind was the risotto. It came surrounded by a circle of fluorescent yellow cheese sauce, obviously out of a packet. The sauce was completely unnecessary.

One lunchtime menu in the MDR showed a veggie burger. I was busy chatting, and bit into it. It was a beefburger! Beefburger wasn't even on the menu!

I enjoyed the cruise because of the itinerary and the company, and it was a great price. It was the food that was a let-down.

I'm trying Epic in 3 months, so don't have high expectations. I'm hoping to be delightfully surprised .....
                              2018-
                              Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                              NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                              Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                              Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                              Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you