• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Havana

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Havana

Hi all. Going to Havana in a few weeks time and just wanted some advice please.. We are quite disappointed as our time in Havana has been cut short from a full day and half a day to not arriving until 2.00pm on our first day, so we thought about getting off the ship as soon as we dock and staying out for a meal and seeing the nightlife. My question is does anyone know how safe it is to be out at night time in Havana? Also any recommendations for a good restaurant? Thanks for any replies.

I've never been but friends tell me it's pretty safe to DIY. (Or as safe as any cit.y)
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

It was 2010, but I stayed in Havana as part of a two centre land holiday. My friend and I felt very safe the whole time we were there.
      2018-
      Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
      NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
      Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
      Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
      Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

I've been there 3 times and felt perfectly safe. I walked around on my own last time, which was in March last year.
        Jill

Comment

Totally agree with others, Havana felt safer than many places in the world.

Restaurants are plentiful and cheap.

The good ones are easy to spot by the length of queues to get in...........Really!.............Wilba
          Wilba

Comment

Just be aware that if you want to buy Cuban cigars, it's not as easy as you might think. You have to go to a premises that is licensed to sell them. There is a shop in the cruise terminal, which was closed when I wanted to buy some. I was given instructions on where else to go but never did find it.

I would definitely recommend a ride around the city in a classic car. It was my Birthday on the day that I did it. The ride lasted about 90 minutes and took me to the main sites within the city and around the perimeter too.

DSCF8924.JPG
            Jill

Comment

Here’s a TripAdvisor link regarding crime, tourist scams, travelling around and even buying cigars

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel...s.In.Cuba.html

Comment

If you take a Classic Car ride, and I recommend you do, don't book, and pay dearly through the cruiseline.

Just flag down your favourite colour or car make and model and haggle away. There are hundreds to choose from.

I haggled down to 30 Pesos for a hours tour in 2015............Wilba

Wilba

Comment

Many thanks for all the great advice, very useful. Can't wait for the cruise now.

Comment

I mention two eating places in my blog here, both excellent....
                    https://www.cruise.co.uk/forum/forum...vana#post47076

Comment

I was booked on a Marella ship to go to Cuba this January but cancelled the cruise because of this change as it was Havana I particularly wanted to see.

I would be really interested to hear what your experience is,Chrisan. I hope you enjoy it!

Comment

Yes, we are probably going on the same cruise that you cancelled. We are very disappointed too but we are going with another couple, so decided to go ahead with it. We were hoping to make the most of Havana in the time we have.

Comment

It's a shame your time there has been shortened. Our 2nd visit in Feb 2018,first time 10 years earlier. Not a lot had changed, in a sense a good thing. We stayed 4 nights/5days in Havana, absolutely fab! Wandered through back streets, down trodden areas but with no fear. The Cubans are friendly. Wear good footwear and just wander, main streets and off streets and don't forget your camara. Food very good, go where the locals go, noisier but a good sign of enjoyment. Unfortunately, I am away from home at this time so can't give you named recommendations. Highly recommend Havana. We are planning to return again in May. Enjoy.

Comment

Hi Havana is perfect ly safe day and night ,can,t remember the name but there is an Italian restaurant in the big square as you get off the ship,there is also a bank to change money just in front of the restaurant..take pounds and not dollars..their is an extra charge to change dollars.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X