• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virgin Voyages abandons 'Boring Buffets and MDR'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
    There is a slide-show here of some of the various Virgin dining rooms: https://youtu.be/N8opAl6fA-Y

    The set-up sounds very NCL.
    I was sent the link to some of these a few months ago. The interior designs looked pretty awful then. They haven’t improved judging by this latest link.

    There’s minimalism, Scandi style and there’s minimalism, Virgin style. There is absolutely no way I’ll ever step foot on this ship. I think I’d have a constant headache from the colour “schemes “ never mind the need to see a chiropractor after a cruise due to what seems to be rather uncomfortable seating.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

      I was sent the link to some of these a few months ago. The interior designs looked pretty awful then. They haven’t improved judging by this latest link.

      There’s minimalism, Scandi style and there’s minimalism, Virgin style. There is absolutely no way I’ll ever step foot on this ship. I think I’d have a constant headache from the colour “schemes “ never mind the need to see a chiropractor after a cruise due to what seems to be rather uncomfortable seating.

      I'm with you Mrs M - it really doesn't appeal... and all these smaller restaurants, would it be possibly to actually get booked in?! Give me an MDR with a menu that changes everyday and the option of speciality if you so wish anytime over this concept.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post


        I'm with you Mrs M - it really doesn't appeal... and all these smaller restaurants, would it be possibly to actually get booked in?! Give me an MDR with a menu that changes everyday and the option of speciality if you so wish anytime over this concept.
        I am curious how they would manage the booking system for the eating venues too.

        The décor and seating would rule many of the eateries for me - OK I am a couple of generations older than their target market !

        Is it just me but there appears they may be using a lot of plastic in these venues and that surprises me.

        Annie

        Comment


          #19
          I think these renderings make a very clear statement.

          "If you are an old dyed in wool traditional cruiser, we don't want you"

          I'm sure it will appeal to the Ikea/Burger Bar crowd and young Americans.............Wilba
          Wilba

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Wilba View Post
            I think these renderings make a very clear statement.

            "If you are an old dyed in wool traditional cruiser, we don't want you"

            I'm sure it will appeal to the Ikea/Burger Bar crowd and young Americans.............Wilba
            I was thinking the same.

            Even the spelling used of the venue names. Razzle Dazzle looks like an American Diner.

            Annie

            Comment


              #21
              We like the variety and embrace the multiple venues that NCL and others offer,
              NCL we use all most trips never having big issues getting in often picking the same afternoon, but we are quite flexible on eating times.

              I will like this ship but I don't think I will be liking the prices.

              Eating logistics on ships is not easy, they(other cruiselines) thought they could copy NCL but came unstuck as they misjudged capacity and peopling requirements with their anytime options most have fixed that now.

              Many think the freestyle is about saving but it needs more peoplepower to work effectively.

              Trad cruising is easy you need main dining & galley capacity for about 1/2 a ship , some smaller ships go with single seating and have capacity for everyone to sit at once.

              When you start to try to spread people out into smaller venues and spread the eating times you have to be very careful how much you reduce the capacities, the problem is getting 3 uses of a seat is very hard, and if someone sits down at 7-8 you may only get one use.

              No matter how flexible the dining options are for the vast majority of passengers their eating time is driven by the entertainment program usually the main show(s), if there are 2 shows then there will be 2 periods of high demand

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

                I am curious how they would manage the booking system for the eating venues too.

                The décor and seating would rule many of the eateries for me - OK I am a couple of generations older than their target market !

                Is it just me but there appears they may be using a lot of plastic in these venues and that surprises me.

                Annie
                All new ships use polymers(Plastics) and composites for the decor the great thing about these materials is you can make them look like anything you want.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Cambridge Dictionary: Buffet - a meal where people serve themselves different types of food.

                  No buffets so all waiter service?

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post


                    I'm with you Mrs M - it really doesn't appeal... and all these smaller restaurants, would it be possibly to actually get booked in?! Give me an MDR with a menu that changes everyday and the option of speciality if you so wish anytime over this concept.
                    I tend to agree with both of you, it sounds like a logistical nightmare waiting to happen. Freedom dining gone mad with lots more venues. The only cruise line we have found to make this system work successfully has been NCL but that is with just a couple of venues and not many all over the ship. How an earth is the galley going to cope?
                    www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Wansbrough, North Somerset View Post

                      I tend to agree with both of you, it sounds like a logistical nightmare waiting to happen. Freedom dining gone mad with lots more venues. The only cruise line we have found to make this system work successfully has been NCL but that is with just a couple of venues and not many all over the ship. How an earth is the galley going to cope?

                      NCL Spirit(oldest ships) has 9 restaurants + more casual eating options pool grill, buffet cafe etc,

                      NCL escape has 15 restaurants + ... NCL claim 25+ total options.

                      Most venues have their own galleys.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        It does sound a bit NCL like. I love the good.variety of the NCL options and I've always found the quality to be really good.The chinese restaurant served 2 of the nicest meals I've had anywhere land or sea

                        Comment


                        We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.


                        By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

                        Working...
                        X