• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virgin Voyages abandons 'Boring Buffets and MDR'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virgin Voyages abandons 'Boring Buffets and MDR'

Hi All

Picked this up from Travel Weekly, Virgin Voyages plan no Buffet, MDR or extra charge restaurants on Scarlet Lady. I assume all 20 dining options will be included in the cruise fare.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articl...n-dining-rooms

Annie

Thanks for the link. The dining options sound good, I especially like the idea of the Razzle Dazzle restaurant for the vegetarian options.
    2018-
    Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
    NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
    Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
    Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
    Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Well The Galley sounds like a buffet but lots of it does seem different. Jan.

Comment

This sounds wonderful Annie, thanks for posting.

One of the things I liked about Anthem of the Seas was the variety of dining options that were all a bit different. Expanding this idea as Virgin are proposing is exactly what I’d want!

I might not be queuing up for an on-board tattoo, but the dining proposition sounds perfect to me.
        Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

I wait to see how long this venture lasts!

Comment

I quite like the restaurant choices, plus the fact of no additional charges for so called Speciality Restaurants, but the size of these floating holiday camps is a big turn off for me..........Wilba
            Wilba

Comment

The idea sounds good, but I’m not sure about 'not paying extra for great food'. I assume the extra will be incorporated in the cruise fare. Beside the cost, the down side for me is the Caribbean itineraries. I might try the ship if it was going somewhere interesting at a cost that wouldn’t use up all my travel budget for the next five years.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                I quite like the restaurant choices, plus the fact of no additional charges for so called Speciality Restaurants, but the size of these floating holiday camps is a big turn off for me..........Wilba
                Hi Wilba, 110,000 gross tonnes these ships will be somewhat smaller than many mass-market newbuilds.

By modern standards they are 'medium' sized.

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
                The idea sounds good, but I’m not sure about 'not paying extra for great food'. I assume the extra will be incorporated in the cruise fare.
                Absolutely, the lines use on-board spend as a major way to boast their income, inc. speciality restaurants. However personally, I'd rather pay a bit extra for all food included than for alcohol included.
                Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 8th November 2018, 03:02 PM.
                See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post

Hi Wilba, 110,000 gross tonnes these ships will be somewhat smaller than many mass-market newbuilds.

By modern standards they are 'medium' sized
                  Thanks Malcolm, my interest has just perked up as I quite like that size of ship.

The renderings led me to believe this was just another Gargantuan of the Seas............Wilba

Wilba

Comment

NCL dining options without charges.
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

I would guess around 2000 passengers and similar to Celebrity M Class ships and those always seemed to work well for us.

It will be interesting to see pricing, and it should be "easy" for them to package together fly cruises, time will tell.

They do seem to be offering something a bit different.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                        NCL dining options without charges.
                        ​​​​​​
                        But hopefully with better quality food.
                        2018-
                        Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                        NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                        Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                        Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                        Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
                          I would guess around 2000 passengers and similar to Celebrity M Class ships and those always seemed to work well for us.

It will be interesting to see pricing, and it should be "easy" for them to package together fly cruises, time will tell.

They do seem to be offering something a bit different.

John
                          Actually the passenger numbers will be 2700 which is an increase of nearly 40% over Celebrity M class with no corresponding increase in tonnage and 20 restaurants??

Space per passenger will be reduced.

Annie

PS The target market allegedly is young professionals - that lets me out
                          Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 8th November 2018, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogini, Waterlooville View Post

But hopefully with better quality food.
                            Nothing wrong with excellent quality food choices on likes of the NCL Escape.

Virgin food Hall, The Galley will be a buffet with a fancy name.

Comment

There is a slide-show here of some of the various Virgin dining rooms: https://youtu.be/N8opAl6fA-Y

The set-up sounds very NCL.
                              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X