• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has RCI's 'Dynamic Dining' Failed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I am never likely to go on a ship with dynamic dining I could not care more or less .
    Hi Taffy, I think most ship will have a similar system one day.

Why do we have to keep linking t your web site Malcolm, not that hard to post on here....Taffy
    I was being a bit lazy rather than cutting and pasting. I did not realise that it might offend. It's NOT against the forum rules I'm told.

who knows. Maybe needs that traffic up...
    Always nice, but cruise.dot would probably not change my figure drastically.
    Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 12th May 2016, 05:10 PM.
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
      Just asking, does it matter ?
      Annie, I personally think it does matter. It was a very significant change in the cruise industry, in my opinion.

RCI (the number two cruise line) completely changed it's dining system on-board their newest ships after 46 years, giving up traditional dining previously having just one main/large dining room, even on-board 'Oasis of the Seas'.

'Dynamic' is of course essentially a copy of NCL's ' Freestyle'.

Freestyle and Dynamic complete change the design of the ship and how it works and feels.

I had though Carnival would be next and it would only be a matter of time before P&O followed suit on their big next new ships. However the complaints and problems that RCI have experienced might change that. It might not?

However I can see that any form of 'Flexible Dining' and a lack of formality, will suit future cruise passengers. I think it's coming to a ship near you!
      Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 12th May 2016, 05:38 PM.
      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
        Annie, I personally think it does matter. It was a very significant change in the cruise industry, in my opinion.

RCI (the number two cruise line) completely changed it's dining system on-board their newest ships after 46 years, giving up traditional dining previously having just one main/large dining room, even on-board 'Oasis of the Seas'.

Freestyle and Dynamic complete change the design of the ship and how it works and feels.

I had though Carnival would be next and it would only be a matter of time before P&O followed suit on their big next new ships. However the complaints and problems that RCI have experienced might change that. It might not?

However I can see that any form of 'Flexible Dining' and a lack of formality, will suit future cruise passengers.
        Was it TD who posted that Dynamic Dining requires more staff?? Are the cruise lines happy to bear that cost??

I am not convinced NCL have got it right on the Epic.

OK I sailed Epic this year and there were huge bottlenecks in the restaurants at peak times and an acute shortage of diners in the early evening. They actually had to close the Manhattan restaurant on a few occasions thereby denying their clients their choice of restaurant.

It was so slow in the restaurants in the early evening, the Maitre D' sent the Solo hostess to try and persuade us to leave our dedicated bar and go to the restaurant. She was never successful.

We were only a group of 4 but I, as the keeper of the buzzer, often carried one. A wait of 1 hour was not uncommon.

MSC tried flexible dining for their guests on the Aurea experience - a complete disaster

I sailed HAL late 2014. They had a mixture of 2 fixed dining sessions and flexible - it appeared to work. We were always seated without delay.

Annie
        Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 12th May 2016, 05:42 PM.

Comment

My only experience of Dynamic Dining was on Ovation, and I really didn't enjoy it. I was on classic dining so could walk straight into the dining room for the 8.30 sitting. Those who had chosen were in long queues.

I really can't see the point of moving around restaurants. I've always been happy with second sitting in the MDR, with the same tablemates.
          2018-
          Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
          NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
          Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
          Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
          Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by Yogini, Waterlooville View Post
            My only experience of Dynamic Dining was on Ovation, and I really didn't enjoy it. I was on classic dining so could walk straight into the dining room for the 8.30 sitting. Those who had chosen were in long queues.

I really can't see the point of moving around restaurants. I've always been happy with second sitting in the MDR, with the same tablemates.
            Hi Yogini

I have read several posts on cc NCL's board, from solo passengers sailing on NCL ships with no studio lounge. Freestyle dining did not work for them.

Annie

Comment

I will pick up on this point

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
              RCI implementation of dynamic is not "freestyle" it is a hybrid.

As I have said numerous time it does not work on any ship for those that don't adapt as the system has bottlenecks.
              (some ships can accommodate single seating are fine, have been around for a long time but not a lot of them)

There are secondary issues like sharing table any restaurants, NCL is not good at this RCI Princess and Celebrity patchy.
              very few do sharing at specialty, you have to sort this out yourself by meeting people..

As a couple+ traveling this is not a big deal to eat alone/together, for solos that would like to dine with others potentially a big issue with ships that don't have open to anyone sharing tables or hosting.

One reason CC roll calls work for a lot of people, they work round the ships limitations
              Last edited by Topdeck, London; 12th May 2016, 07:29 PM.

Comment

I may have been one of those posting, Annie.

My first solo experience on NCL was on Jade. I like to share tables, so Freestyle did not completely work for me. I did hook up with a few other people and mainly go to the MDR with them. I prefer company at dinner.

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                Hi Yogini

I have read several posts on cc NCL's board, from solo passengers sailing on NCL ships with no studio lounge. Freestyle dining did not work for them.

Annie
                2018-
                Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

My first solo experience on NCL was on Jade. I like to share tables, so Freestyle did not completely work for me. I did hook up with a few other people and mainly go to the MDR with them. I prefer company at dinner.
                  NCL used to do much more of the sharing tables in the main dinning rooms but it does seem to have reduced, make it harder for people that want to share like we do when traveling without our friends.

Specialty was a much bigger problem as that is not catered for at all by dining staff you have to do it through other means.

For solos that can be harder if no social host is active.
                  When Garry Gladding was on the Jade he hosted a chat every morning and that was a good way to grab a dining companion otherwise it is hanging out at the right time and place engaging people.

Comment

It was someone who had sailed on the Norwegian Star who posted their experience - they were very unhappy.

I was researching the Star as I was considering an Australian cruise on her.

Even on the Epic I saw a few solo passengers, who I recognised from the solos lounge, dining alone.

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X