• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

168 units of alcohol: just an average week on a cruise ship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Claire v, Coleraine View Post
    Why is it those who don't want to buy the drinks package always complain about its price? I don't think it is at all expensive... My few espressos from breakfast to late afternoon plus a few cocktails and a couple of glasses of wine are more than covered. It's not all about the alcohol making the price up daily. If you don't drink or can't afford it fine. It is good value though if you like decent coffee and a few drinks
    My all inclusive drinks package was 23 Euros a day - with no added 15%. Did I break even ? - yes; would I buy it again - probably not.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Mike48, Southampton View Post
      When cruise lines sell unlimited quantities of alcohol for a fixed price, it is hardly surprising that people overindulge. There will always be those who want to gets full value for what they have paid.

I am going with NCL in a couple of months' time and they want $55 per day for unlimited alcohol. In addition there is a 15% service charge on top. For the 14 days I will be on the ship that would work out at about £500 in total. I'm going alone but had I been with a partner I would have had to have paid £1,000. I probably only spend about £500 per year for alcohol on land and I'm certainly not going to spend that sort of amount on a two-week cruise. I don't want a thick head for the duration of the trip.

Because of the extra food I normally eat on a cruise, I give up alcohol for the duration of the trip. The last cruise I was on I met several others who were teetotal for the same reason.
      Good point.

Many people don't take account of the extra calories when enjoying a few drinks. 24 units a day can equate to an extra 1500+ calories a day.

You can do the Maths to calculate the weight gain.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Mike48, Southampton View Post
        ...Because of the extra food I normally eat on a cruise, I give up alcohol for the duration of the trip. The last cruise I was on I met several others who were teetotal for the same reason.
        Interesting point.

I drink a lot more on holiday than I do at home [but still lightweight compared to some as I rarely have any alcohol before pre-dinner drinks] so I take advantage of the wonderful salads and seafood dishes and end up consuming less actual 'food calories'.

Weight gain? About 2 lbs on a two week cruise.

Comment

I never drink any alcohol on it's own as I don't enjoy it, but matching it up with good food is another story. I've found that the French have emulated this to a state of art but the Italians have it off to a tee.

Eating and drinking is social. Good food matched with good wines and beers in good company, bliss.

Cheers OSD
          Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

I never drink at home. Now our last cruise was AI and alcohol was flowing freely all over the ship. - (there was even prosecco at breakfast). Like many who rarely drink on land what I find hard to resist are cocktails. We usually have Campari before lunch/dinner, wine/beer with meals and a drink after. But I have countless coffees and restrict myself to a few cocktails daily.
            However I've seen folk drinking practically non stop by the pool or at the bars.....they seem determined to get their money's worth. I'm sure they wouldn't drink that amount if they had to pay for each drink.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
            X