• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

168 units of alcohol: just an average week on a cruise ship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

168 units of alcohol: just an average week on a cruise ship

An average cruise passenger consumes 42 bottles of beer, 16 cocktails, seven bottles of wine, 16 shots of whisky and two glasses of champagne on a single voyage, new research has claimed

A poll of almost 3,000 Britons, carried out by the website Bonvoyage.co.uk, uncovered the staggering statistics, which suggest that a cruise passenger’s daily alcohol consumption – during a one-week sailing – might consist of six beers, a couple of cocktails, a bottle of wine and a pair of whiskies. That works out at around 168 units a week, according to the drinkaware website's unit calculator – eight times the recommended allowance for men (21 units), and 12 times in excess of the recommended consumption levels for women (14 units).

Seasick: all in a week's work for thirsty cruise passengers

Mediterranean cruises were found to be the booziest, while men and women were evenly matched when it came to the total amount drunk.

Of those who took part in the survey, 91 per cent said they had at least one alcoholic drink during their last cruise.

More here.168 units of alcohol: just an average week on a cruise ship - Telegraph
    ]

Originally posted by tuggy, warminster View Post
    An average cruise passenger consumes 42 bottles of beer, 16 cocktails, seven bottles of wine, 16 shots of whisky and two glasses of champagne on a single voyage, new research has claimed

A poll of almost 3,000 Britons, carried out by the website Bonvoyage.co.uk, uncovered the staggering statistics, which suggest that a cruise passenger’s daily alcohol consumption – during a one-week sailing – might consist of six beers, a couple of cocktails, a bottle of wine and a pair of whiskies. That works out at around 168 units a week, according to the drinkaware website's unit calculator – eight times the recommended allowance for men (21 units), and 12 times in excess of the recommended consumption levels for women (14 units).

Mediterranean cruises were found to be the booziest, while men and women were evenly matched when it came to the total amount drunk.

Of those who took part in the survey, 91 per cent said they had at least one alcoholic drink during their last cruise.

More here.168 units of alcohol: just an average week on a cruise ship - Telegraph
    168 units of alcohol in 168 hours - drinking while sleeping are they?

Annie

Comment

six beers, a couple of cocktails, a bottle of wine and a pair of whiskies....and thats the daily average!!!!!! methinks someone was telling porkies on this survey

Comment

What is unit of Alcohol a Pint of 3% Beer/Larger has 3 units, So 5 pints of 5% a day over 7 days =175 units.
        ]

Comment

What is unit of Alcohol a Pint of 3% Beer/Larger has 3 units, So 5 pints of 5% a day over 7 days =175 units.
          Well I have never been on a ship where the sold beer by the pint - OK I have not sailed any UK line. Normally beer is sold in 200ml and 400 ml glasses??

5 pints of beer a day every day for 1 week - I wonder if many drink like that at home?? If so why is it that alcohol consumption is remarked on a cruise ship but not at home??

I am probably unusual in that I only drink whilst on holiday and yes I do like my cocktails and very occasional glass of wine. I ended up gifting people bottles of wine on my last cruise. At home alcohol consumption is zilch - even the medics class me as a non drinker

Fortunate like smoking, I can take it or leave it.

Annie

Comment

An average cruise passenger consumes 42 bottles of beer, 16 cocktails, seven bottles of wine, 16 shots of whisky and two glasses of champagne on a single voyage, new research has claimed.

I personally don't drink a lot, you could forget the Beer, Whisky and Champagne as far as I am concerned.

However when broken down to a daily basis, does not seem too bad considering you are on holiday, it's not as if it's every week of the year.

See the survey refers to bottles of beer, not pints, this seems the modern way (especially amongst young people) to consume beer these days.
            Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 8th August 2014, 09:15 PM.
            Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Pint is 568ml @ 3% is 1.7 units, 5pints pd of 5% over 7days is 99.4 units.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
                six beers, a couple of cocktails, a bottle of wine and a pair of whiskies....and thats the daily average!!!!!! methinks someone was telling porkies on this survey
                or someone trying to justify the cost of an expensive drinks package ?

Annie

Comment

Well somebody's drinking far more than that to make up for the fact that I don't touch alcohol onboard or at home.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                    or someone trying to justify the cost of an expensive drinks package ?

Annie
                    6 beers @£4 ea
                    2 cocktails @£6ea
                    1 bottle wine @£15
                    2 whiskies @£4

Got to be around £50-£60, so for the average cruiser a drinks package is a bargain

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                      Well I have never been on a ship where the sold beer by the pint - OK I have not sailed any UK line. Normally beer is sold in 200ml and 400 ml glasses??

Annie
                      200ml and 400ml might be common on MSC ......

All American line will be using US 12/16/20oz glasses/measures for most long drings incuding domestic beers
                      (foreign beers will be all sorts of sizes in bottles/cans)

A US pint is 16oz(us ones) a PROPER pint is 20 imperial oz which is bigger 20%(ish)

A US 20oz will be served on some ships which is a tint it bigger than a UK Pint but that is the beer size to use to compare prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                        200ml and 400ml might be common on MSC ......

All American line will be using US 12/16/20oz glasses/measures for most long drings incuding domestic beers
                        (foreign beers will be all sorts of sizes in bottles/cans)

A US pint is 16oz(us ones) a PROPER pint is 20 imperial oz which is bigger 20%(ish)

A US 20oz will be served on some ships which is a tint it bigger than a UK Pint but that is the beer size to use to compare prices.
                        Your knowledge of beer servings is infinitely greater than mine probably because I drink so little.

The only lager I really enjoy is Carlsberg in draught. The only draught lager that travels well - JMO.

Although I did come across Becks Lemon in Dresden served from a bottle - quite liked that.

Annie
                        Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 8th August 2014, 09:44 PM.

Comment

6 beers @£4 ea
                          2 cocktails @£6ea
                          1 bottle wine @£15
                          2 whiskies @£4

Got to be around £50-£60, so for the average cruiser a drinks package is a bargain
                          Hey

My cocktails on my last MSC cruise, using their book of coupons, worked out at $3.50 - that works for me

Annie

Comment

as does licking bottles by all accounts

Comment

as does licking bottles by all accounts
                              Got it thanks and fixed

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you