• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's happening to vegetarian food?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Good to see others on this forum who are making waves ('scuse pun) about vegetarian options.
    I posted on the forum about this and just got sarcastic replies!

    The veggie options are often popular with meat-eaters from my experience, so why do ship chefs seem to think that it's necessary to put meat in everything?
    Whoever heard of WALDORF SALAD having chicken in it? Chef on Celebrity Eclipse should watch Fawlty Towers then he would know it contains: Celery, Apple, Walnuts, Grapes - in a mayonnaise sauce!
    Apart from anything else, if it's cost they're thinking about, vegetables are much cheaper than meat!
    I used to travel in a campervan until I discovered cruising
    sigpic

    www.campervantraveller.weebly.com

    Comment


      #32
      I agree with Allie. I have also never understood why fried rice is usually served with chopped ham in it. Fried rice is just a tastier version of boiled rice. As a "vegie" I have to pick out the ham (as presumably do moslems and jews) and dispose of it.

      If meat was served separately from vegetables as oppposed to being mixed in with them, then food providers would find it a lot easier to cater for all tastes.

      I'm a chess player, an even smaller minority than bridge players. On one cruise a ship chess tournament was announced to be held in the library. Two players turned up. We held a grand final and drew the game! Catering for minorities is not difficult.

      Cunard (Queen Victoria) always had one vegie option on the menu - but often bland. More options were available if I ordered the night before. A reasonable compromise I suppose.

      Comment


        #33
        A genuine question:- why do some Vegetarians eat fish (which was, prior to being cooked, very much alive)?

        Comment


          #34
          harvey a lot of vegans get no vitamin 12 in their diet some take marmite/vegimite [contains yeast very tech a animal not plant, others take cod liver oil again fish origin]

          did you know cider contains meat in the fermention vat in the process to get the tart flavour

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by Harvey, Bristol upon Cream View Post
            A genuine question:- why do some Vegetarians eat fish (which was, prior to being cooked, very much alive)?
            Harvey, If people eat fish, they are not true vegetarians, they are sometimes referred to as 'pescetarians'. I do not eat, meat, fish or eggs and therefore consider myself to be a vegetarian. I would refer to people who eat fish, but not meat, as non-meat eaters.

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by Paddy, Soton View Post
              Cunard (Queen Victoria) always had one vegie option on the menu - but often bland. More options were available if I ordered the night before. A reasonable compromise I suppose.
              Not a reasonable compromise, but second rate service. Your meat eating companions had the choice from, I assume, a comprehensive menu. You were not treated equally and should have made this point clear to Cunard.

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by Harvey, Bristol upon Cream View Post
                A genuine question:- why do some Vegetarians eat fish (which was, prior to being cooked, very much alive)?
                You're quite right - I'm not a genuine 100% vegetarian because I do eat fish. More of a quasi-vegetarian I suppose. But my original point remains the same and it seems that (real) vegetarians and vegans are being increasingly ignored. And, as I said originally, quite a few meat eaters also like to eat vegetarian options at times. If these are then bland or poorly cooked or ill conceived then it won't encourage diverse eating.

                Comment


                  #38
                  BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry


                  marco polo is no good for vegans, no vegan options, their specially preparred vegan meal on request is a runner bean curry with boiled rice or a baked apple on its own, none of them could grasp vegans need protein in their diet like other people.
                  most of the buffet food was mixed with ham,cheese,mayo etc. our best vegan meals so far were on RCL.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Not sure if I wrote this before, but the QM2 had a separate vegetarian menu - the drawback was that they liked you to order the day before (usually after your meal and therefore nothing appealed!).
                    However, there were usually one or two options on the main menu, and these were far superior to those on the Celebrity Eclipse.
                    We were made to feel like nuisances wanting to eat something that didn't have meat in. The Maitre D' told us that he had contacted "head office" to "allow additional menu options" for us, but we had the feeling it was all flannel!
                    I used to travel in a campervan until I discovered cruising
                    sigpic

                    www.campervantraveller.weebly.com

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Allie

                      Surprised you were disappointed in the Eclipse as far as vegetarian food is concerned - we have been on either the Eclipse or the Equinox and we found vegetarian options to be good. We were very disappointed, however, by the sweetness of the food (and drinks) duie to the fact that the ship catered mainly for Americans. They seem to have to have a sackful of sugar added to their food. Apparently the Celebrity boats out of Southampton serve food more suited to European taste ie not buried under sugar or sacharin.

                      Regarding the QM: the QV operated the same policy on a cruise we did with them last year and they were happy to do any dish that we chose - and they did them all extremely well. Unfortunately our last QV cruise was very disappointing with regard to the vegetarian food, this being down to the supposedly veggie chef (who clearly hadn't a clue about veggie food) and of course to the main chef. It was a major grievance for us in an otherwise excellent cruise.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Originally posted by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry View Post
                        Allie

                        Surprised you were disappointed in the Eclipse as far as vegetarian food is concerned - we have been on either the Eclipse or the Equinox and we found vegetarian options to be good. We were very disappointed, however, by the sweetness of the food (and drinks) duie to the fact that the ship catered mainly for Americans. They seem to have to have a sackful of sugar added to their food. Apparently the Celebrity boats out of Southampton serve food more suited to European taste ie not buried under sugar or sacharin.

                        Regarding the QM: the QV operated the same policy on a cruise we did with them last year and they were happy to do any dish that we chose - and they did them all extremely well. Unfortunately our last QV cruise was very disappointing with regard to the vegetarian food, this being down to the supposedly veggie chef (who clearly hadn't a clue about veggie food) and of course to the main chef. It was a major grievance for us in an otherwise excellent cruise.
                        I have to agree with you regarding the vegetarian food on Cunard. I have sailed with Cunard many times and enjoyed the food. My last cruise on Queen Elizabeth was a huge disappointment as the vegetarian food was really poor. I think we must have had the same chefs as you had on QV. They simply did not have a clue and vegetarian dishes contained bacon and fish. Dishes were regularly sent back to the kitchen.

                        As a general rule, I think vegetarians get a very poor deal on the majority of cruise ships, with unimaginative menus and poor quality ingredients.

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by Blondie, Oxford View Post
                          I have to agree with you regarding the vegetarian food on Cunard. I have sailed with Cunard many times and enjoyed the food. My last cruise on Queen Elizabeth was a huge disappointment as the vegetarian food was really poor. I think we must have had the same chefs as you had on QV. They simply did not have a clue and vegetarian dishes contained bacon and fish. Dishes were regularly sent back to the kitchen.

                          As a general rule, I think vegetarians get a very poor deal on the majority of cruise ships, with unimaginative menus and poor quality ingredients.
                          Valid point. On our last QV cruise, when the veggie food was so poor, our fellow diners were tucking in to large steaks and an assortment of other meat goodies, none of them especially cheap and cheerful.

                          I did make the point in a subsequent Cunard survey - which I was assured - would be taken very seriously at head office.

                          To hear that the QE vegetarian food is also poor is of concern - the quality of the dining class food is an important part of our reason for chosing Cunard!

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Are all the chefs on cunard and P&O english, I know some ships have employed ex tv chefs. The reason I ask is that previous ships not had english chefs and they speak english but cannot grasp the difference between vegetarian and vegan and that these meals need protien too not just a plain salad or fruit.

                            Comment


                            We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.


                            By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

                            Working...
                            X