• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's happening to vegetarian food?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not keen on fred olsen, but thier food was generally very good, if only cruise ships could have 2 or 3 english staff as waiters etc to sort out language problems. hoping p&o will have some when we sail with them for the first time later this year.

Comment

Originally posted by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry View Post
      I'd heard that Fred Olsen were good with vegetarian food at least - seems maybe not. Interesting that you've found smaller ships to be better - thank you.
      Hi, I've sailed with F.O. a dozen times on all ships in the fleet. I find that their vegetarian food varies from excellent to fair, depending on the ship and the chef. A couple of the chefs don't seem to be able to grasp the concept of vegetarianism.

I do agree that some of the waiters on many cruise lines will tell you a dish is vegetarian, when quite plainly it isn't. At the buffet, I tend to ask if the dish contains any meat or fish and they usually understand what I mean........but, not always!

Comment

When I owned a restaurant I used to love it when a member of a party chose the vegetarian dish. They were the biggest earners and guaranteed to exceed your GP.

Sometimes I would dream of owning a Veggie restaurant but then the reality kicked in: as PG of A says, such a small minority.

Comment

So that is vegetarian AND chicken now

This is more to my taste

Celebrity do an excellent steak tartare in their tuscan dining room

Originally posted by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent View Post
          When I owned a restaurant I used to love it when a member of a party chose the vegetarian dish. They were the biggest earners and guaranteed to exceed your GP.

Sometimes I would dream of owning a Veggie restaurant but then the reality kicked in: as PG of A says, such a small minority.
          Any one wants to plays bridge and is on any of the cruises listed below please send me a private message

cruises 2012
          Eclipse 12/05
          Queen Victoria 24/03
          Eclipse 12/05
          Oceania Riveria 13/08
          Eclipse 29/09
          Queen Victoria 20/12

2013 Cruises booked
          Eclipse 11/05
          Eclipse 06/07
          Eclipse 31/08
          Eclipse 20/10

Comment

So does anyone know of a cruise line where vegetarian food is of a consistently good standard? Marco Polo seems to be a front runner.

If a cruise line cannot be bothered to ensure that non (red) meat eaters are well catered for then they will be off our preferred list (so there).

Comment

BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry

we are on marco polo 2/9/10 for round uk trip, will post back re veggie food

Comment

The best vegetarian food on a cruise I've had recently was on the Costa Fortuna. Don't bother going on the Thomson Dream though - the vegetarian food on there was disgusting. The worst I have ever had anywhere. Fred Olsen was mostly good but inconsistent.

Comment

Oceania is very good for non meat eaters, especially the buffet. I don't eat meat but do eat fish & there was a good choice fish or seafood every day which I don't find in many restaurants.
                  All the restaurants had a good choice of non meat dishes & vegetarian options. They do a lot of Asian food which is very tasty, my favourite was Thai Vegetable Curry, yummy! You just had to ask & they'd prepare what you want & how you want it.

Comment

Originally posted by PG of A, A View Post
                    So that is vegetarian AND chicken now

This is more to my taste

Celebrity do an excellent steak tartare in their tuscan dining room
                    Youre very observant Peter, and of course correct.

Our Seafood Restaurant...

...menu always had a 'from the garden' and a 'from the farm' section. We had to cater for those who did not want fish.

Chicken is also a very profitable dish to put on a menu. Madness not to see it but probably one reason why I avoid it when dining out these days.

I never saw the 'Steak Tartare' on the Tuscan Grill menu, I love it and you would have to go some way to beat a Cunard Steak tartare. I did,however, have an excellent steak while dining in the Tuscan Grill...

You will no doubt recognise the placemat.LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs, Tyne and Wear View Post
                      Oceania is very good for non meat eaters, especially the buffet. I don't eat meat but do eat fish & there was a good choice fish or seafood every day which I don't find in many restaurants.
                      All the restaurants had a good choice of non meat dishes & vegetarian options. They do a lot of Asian food which is very tasty, my favourite was Thai Vegetable Curry, yummy! You just had to ask & they'd prepare what you want & how you want it.
                      Oceania has an excellent reputation for all food. Indeed, they have a fine food ethos: which is why theyare on my 'booked' list.

Comment

Originally posted by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent View Post
                        Oceania has an excellent reputation for all food. Indeed, they have a fine food ethos: which is why theyare on my 'booked' list.
                        We too are looking forward to trying Oceania.

However, I was amazed to hear from a veggie friend that on Queen Mary, she had been asked to select her vegetarian dinner from the menu the day before she weanted to eat it! A four star hotel would not ask for that, so why does a six star ship need to? Ocean Majesty (2*+) had a separate vegetarian menu which varied daily and was presented to our vegetarian dinner companions each evening. If a ship with 500 passengers can offer this choice, why can't the big ones? Both Regent and Seaborne include vegetarian dishes on their menus.

Comment

More adverse comment on Cunard vegetarian food, in line with our most recent experience (and in contrast to those before). I wonder why this is - as has been said cruise lines boasting of fine dining need to ensure that they offer just that. Interesting that Oceania comes out well and also Costa (maybe the Italian influence?).

Solent Richard: thank you for your comments and photographs the last one of which reminds me why I never enjoyed eating red meat. But, each to their own.

Comment

I trust that everyone who received poor quality food also witheld their tips as you would do in any land based restaurant.
                            BB

Comment

Originally posted by DUETTO, Staines View Post
                              with my wife being vegan we tend to go for the buffet meals and most meals we are ok, its odd days when the veg is cooked in butter or the salad had cheese or meat in it and there are no vegan meals with protien that problems arise both fred olsen and RCL had good buffet selections. but on both ships the foriegn waiters had no concept of vegan and could not grasp that milk/cheese comes from animals even had waiters lie saying no animal products in the dish then checking with the cooks [foriegn again with poor concept of vegan] had opposite answers.
                              our next cruise sept 2nd on marco polo, rang them they get loads of veggies and vegans and cater for them, our following criuse orians p&o in oct 17th we will go for the buffet option. [not done these two companies before].
                              Thanks for the info. There is usually something to eat in the buffet. I travel solo and already pay up to twice as much as couples for a cramped cabin and then to be given a plate of pasta with tomato sauce makes me resentful. The best ship I have sailed on is the Clipper Adventurer, one of Noble Caledonian ships. The vegetarian food was out of this world. I've never eaten so well in my life. The chef told me he was considering opening up his own vegetarian/vegan restaurant.

Comment

Originally posted by PG of A, A View Post
                                What's happening to vegetarian food?

In the UK less than 3% of the population are vegetarian. I should imagine that some vegetarians might refute this number but it is taken from "The Vegetarian Society" web site. Vegetarian Society - Fact Sheet - Statistics - Number of UK Vegetarians

Cruise lines are cutting back, and obviously the minorities are losing out. We are keen bridge players; again there are probably only around 3% of the passengers who play bridge, so the bridge directors are disappearing, probably along with vegetarian cooks.

Why should the majority subsides the minority, it is your decision to not eat meat, which is as you say excellent on most cruise lines.
                                What a pompous attitude.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X