• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's happening to vegetarian food?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What's happening to vegetarian food?

    A number of people have recently written posts expressing disappointment with the vegetarian food served up on cruises that they have just returned from, especially when compared with the food served up for their fellow meat-eaters. The quantity, quality and variety of vegetarian food has all been found to be wanting.

    We recently came back from a Queen Victoria cruise and found the same - previously vegetarian food served in the restaurants had been excellent, both in terms of quality and variety. Not this time - not only was it bland and repetitive but it was sometimes not even cooked properly. Fellow diners were delighted with their meat courses and I can vouch for the fish but clearly the vegetarian cook on board was not up to it.

    Now, ok, all lines will sometimes have to replace cooks who cannot meet the required standards but does anyone know why it seems that various cruise lines are now not able or willing to provide good vegetarian food? Could it be that proper vegetian cooks are quietly being dispensed with as a means of saving money? It's all very well we the publice being chuffed at the huge discounts being made on cruises this year but, somewhere along the line, cruise companies will have to make cuts to compensate - cuts that will reduce standards. Maybe this is a sign of things to come?

    #2
    It is curious, as vegetarian food is usally a lot cheaper than meat or fish dishes to prepare.

    My biggest bugbear is with the meal on the flight. When I book a trip I always request a vegetarian meal for the flight. Inevitably I board the plane and find that my meal has not been ordered. I don't know where the problem is, but it makes life difficult.
    2018-
    Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

    2019 -
    NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
    Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

    2020 -
    Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
    Magellan - Panama Canal

    Comment


      #3
      What's happening to vegetarian food?


      In the UK less than 3% of the population are vegetarian. I should imagine that some vegetarians might refute this number but it is taken from "The Vegetarian Society" web site. Vegetarian Society - Fact Sheet - Statistics - Number of UK Vegetarians

      Cruise lines are cutting back, and obviously the minorities are losing out. We are keen bridge players; again there are probably only around 3% of the passengers who play bridge, so the bridge directors are disappearing, probably along with vegetarian cooks.

      Why should the majority subsides the minority, it is your decision to not eat meat, which is as you say excellent on most cruise lines.
      Any one wants to plays bridge and is on any of the cruises listed below please send me a private message





      cruises 2012
      Eclipse 12/05
      Queen Victoria 24/03
      Eclipse 12/05
      Oceania Riveria 13/08
      Eclipse 29/09
      Queen Victoria 20/12

      2013 Cruises booked
      Eclipse 11/05
      Eclipse 06/07
      Eclipse 31/08
      Eclipse 20/10

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Yogini, Waterlooville View Post
        It is curious, as vegetarian food is usally a lot cheaper than meat or fish dishes to prepare.

        My biggest bugbear is with the meal on the flight. When I book a trip I always request a vegetarian meal for the flight. Inevitably I board the plane and find that my meal has not been ordered. I don't know where the problem is, but it makes life difficult.
        This is a constant bugbear with me too.

        When I worked in travel and booked airline tickets for myself, I would enter the code for a vegetarian meal on the flight system. On one occasion I asked at airport check in if the vegetarian meal was showing on the system and was told it was not. The person at the desk said, rather smugly 'You really should have asked your agent to request a vegetarian meal'. My answer 'I am the travel agent and I know it has been booked as I did the booking myself!' Her face was a picture and yes, I did get a vegetarian meal when on board.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry View Post
          A number of people have recently written posts expressing disappointment with the vegetarian food served up on cruises that they have just returned from, especially when compared with the food served up for their fellow meat-eaters. The quantity, quality and variety of vegetarian food has all been found to be wanting.

          We recently came back from a Queen Victoria cruise and found the same - previously vegetarian food served in the restaurants had been excellent, both in terms of quality and variety. Not this time - not only was it bland and repetitive but it was sometimes not even cooked properly. Fellow diners were delighted with their meat courses and I can vouch for the fish but clearly the vegetarian cook on board was not up to it.

          Now, ok, all lines will sometimes have to replace cooks who cannot meet the required standards but does anyone know why it seems that various cruise lines are now not able or willing to provide good vegetarian food? Could it be that proper vegetian cooks are quietly being dispensed with as a means of saving money? It's all very well we the publice being chuffed at the huge discounts being made on cruises this year but, somewhere along the line, cruise companies will have to make cuts to compensate - cuts that will reduce standards. Maybe this is a sign of things to come?
          I notice that my lengthy reply commenting on your post has now been deleted.

          It has obviously been removed as I dared to criticise the vegetarian meals served on a certain cruise line. You got away with it, but a certain member has seen fit to get my post removed.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Blondie, Oxford View Post
            I notice that my lengthy reply commenting on your post has now been deleted.

            It has obviously been removed as I dared to criticise the vegetarian meals served on a certain cruise line. You got away with it, but a certain member has seen fit to get my post removed.
            I think you will find that members can only "highlight" posts which they feel are inappropriate. The actual deletion will be at the discretion of admin who will make a decision of their own.

            If Admin has right to do as they see fit. No member can influence that other than make a comment when "pressing the button". ....Neil

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
              I think you will find that members can only "highlight" posts which they feel are inappropriate. The actual deletion will be at the discretion of admin who will make a decision of their own.

              If Admin has right to do as they see fit. No member can influence that other than make a comment when "pressing the button". ....Neil
              Thanks for clarifying the situation Neil. My post must have been considered contentious and removed by admin. A shame as it was relevant and completely true.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by PG of A, A View Post
                What's happening to vegetarian food?


                In the UK less than 3% of the population are vegetarian. I should imagine that some vegetarians might refute this number but it is taken from "The Vegetarian Society" web site. Vegetarian Society - Fact Sheet - Statistics - Number of UK Vegetarians

                Cruise lines are cutting back, and obviously the minorities are losing out. We are keen bridge players; again there are probably only around 3% of the passengers who play bridge, so the bridge directors are disappearing, probably along with vegetarian cooks.

                Why should the majority subsides the minority, it is your decision to not eat meat, which is as you say excellent on most cruise lines.
                The 3% presumably refers to those who are wholly vegetarian. I represent a sizeable percentage, I suggest, who either don't eat meat at all or who do but who also often like to eat vegetarian food.

                Comment


                  #9
                  No title

                  Originally posted by Blondie, Oxford View Post
                  Thanks for clarifying the situation Neil. My post must have been considered contentious and removed by admin. A shame as it was relevant and completely true.
                  Can you be tempted to post a summary? The type and quality of food served, whether it be in the restaurant, self-service or room service, is one of our main considerations (and I really don't see why specific ships or lines cannot be named - surely this is the whole point of a lot of posts, providing they are not malicious or false of course).
                  Last edited by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry; 23rd June 2012, 10:30 PM. Reason: Mistake

                  Comment


                    #10
                    even worse for vegans

                    Comment


                      #11
                      [QUOTE=BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry;433827]Can you be tempted to post a summary? The type and quality of food served, whether it be in the restaurant, self-service or room service, is one of our main considerations (and I really don't see why specific ships or lines cannot be named - surely this is the whole point of a lot of posts, providing they are not malicious or false of course).[/ ]

                      Hi, It's sensible for me to let the matter drop, otherwise I shall be banned from the forum.

                      My bad experience was on a sister ship to the one you mentioned in your post.

                      I do feel that vegetarians get a rough deal on cruise ships when it comes to meal choice. However, I was served some lovely vegetarian meals on Azamara Quest and the kitchen were happy to adapt dishes on the menu to suit. Azamara ships are small and they are catering for hundreds of passengers and not thousands. I have had much better vegetarian meals on the smaller ships.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry View Post
                        The 3% presumably refers to those who are wholly vegetarian. I represent a sizeable percentage, I suggest, who either don't eat meat at all or who do but who also often like to eat vegetarian food.
                        •3%, vegetarian.
                        •5% partly vegetarian - not eating some types of meat or fish.

                        Scotland is 1% and 3%
                        Any one wants to plays bridge and is on any of the cruises listed below please send me a private message





                        cruises 2012
                        Eclipse 12/05
                        Queen Victoria 24/03
                        Eclipse 12/05
                        Oceania Riveria 13/08
                        Eclipse 29/09
                        Queen Victoria 20/12

                        2013 Cruises booked
                        Eclipse 11/05
                        Eclipse 06/07
                        Eclipse 31/08
                        Eclipse 20/10

                        Comment


                          #13
                          with my wife being vegan we tend to go for the buffet meals and most meals we are ok, its odd days when the veg is cooked in butter or the salad had cheese or meat in it and there are no vegan meals with protien that problems arise both fred olsen and RCL had good buffet selections. but on both ships the foriegn waiters had no concept of vegan and could not grasp that milk/cheese comes from animals even had waiters lie saying no animal products in the dish then checking with the cooks [foriegn again with poor concept of vegan] had opposite answers.
                          our next cruise sept 2nd on marco polo, rang them they get loads of veggies and vegans and cater for them, our following criuse orians p&o in oct 17th we will go for the buffet option. [not done these two companies before].

                          Comment


                            #14
                            [QUOTE=Blondie, Oxford;433948]
                            Originally posted by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry View Post
                            Can you be tempted to post a summary? The type and quality of food served, whether it be in the restaurant, self-service or room service, is one of our main considerations (and I really don't see why specific ships or lines cannot be named - surely this is the whole point of a lot of posts, providing they are not malicious or false of course).[/ ]

                            Hi, It's sensible for me to let the matter drop, otherwise I shall be banned from the forum.

                            My bad experience was on a sister ship to the one you mentioned in your post.

                            I do feel that vegetarians get a rough deal on cruise ships when it comes to meal choice. However, I was served some lovely vegetarian meals on Azamara Quest and the kitchen were happy to adapt dishes on the menu to suit. Azamara ships are small and they are catering for hundreds of passengers and not thousands. I have had much better vegetarian meals on the smaller ships.
                            Thanks for that - interesting.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by DUETTO, Staines View Post
                              with my wife being vegan we tend to go for the buffet meals and most meals we are ok, its odd days when the veg is cooked in butter or the salad had cheese or meat in it and there are no vegan meals with protien that problems arise both fred olsen and RCL had good buffet selections. but on both ships the foriegn waiters had no concept of vegan and could not grasp that milk/cheese comes from animals even had waiters lie saying no animal products in the dish then checking with the cooks [foriegn again with poor concept of vegan] had opposite answers.
                              our next cruise sept 2nd on marco polo, rang them they get loads of veggies and vegans and cater for them, our following criuse orians p&o in oct 17th we will go for the buffet option. [not done these two companies before].
                              I'd heard that Fred Olsen were good with vegetarian food at least - seems maybe not. Interesting that you've found smaller ships to be better - thank you.

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X