• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dinning restaurant v buffet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David, I don't know which lines you have sailed with, but we certainly have experienced none of the things you complain of. It would be a good idea to speak to the Restaurant manager/ Maitre'd, at the start of the cruise and explain your wife's requirements, I think it might then prove far less of a problem.

Comment

I don't like meals in the cabin but I love the buffets. The lunchtime cold seafood and the sushi stations are wonderful but my husband likes the MDR so as I can have sushi and cold seafood or anything I want there, it's MDR these days for all meals.

Comment

lola
        your lucky, found on fred olsen the matreD was malay and spoke good english, but on RCL restaurant manager was hopeless, maitreD english was only slightly better.

because we have medical matters and one a vegan, we need to eat different and ask lots of questions. If we were both in good health and one not a vegan we would not have noticed as the waiters know english to get buy serving fine but lost on questions out of the ordinary.

we find on land in restaurants / hotels all goes ok it just cruises restaurants

I am new to this forum its great with plenty of replies and from all angles.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey, Bristol upon Cream View Post
          Restaurant every time. Much more civilised.

I can't recall getting lukewarm food nor do I have a problem with portion size. I find the service very good albeit a bit impersonal at times.

Compare that with the buffet area where one may very well get lukewarm food, if not cold, by the time you find a table at peak time. The food served in the restaurant is always freshly cooked for you whereas in the buffet this is not so.

So, again - restaurant wins hands down.

cheers
          Harvey
          Thoroughly agree there Harvey.

If I wanted to push a tray around I could do it at our local Asda or Morrisons.

Comment

Originally posted by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent View Post

Your Asda must be pretty amazing Richard. The sushi and cold seafood stations are very hard to totally ignore...in fact on a long cruise, occasionally, my other half will eat in the MDR and I will head for the buffet and pick up some lobster, crab claws and 'shrimps' and skip over to the sushi selection to finish the tray push.

Comment

we had great service in the MDR on the thompson destiny and i always had an extra steak if i wanted it.

Comment

Buffet during the day, MDR at night suits me fine.

I have yet to find an Asda Or Morrisons that offer the same choice and quality of food as the buffet, on a cruise ship.

If I did, I may be tempted to eat in them. No I would not, as the views are not the same.
                Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 23rd April 2012, 05:36 PM.
                Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Our local Asda and Morrisons do not have the views we have seen early in the morning in the buffets. We have always found a table for two with super sea views.. lovely hot food, a good choice of freshly cooked dishes to order.
                  Oh well! I will dream tomorrow on my trip to Morrisons.
                  sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

I like the buffet so i can try different foods, i only get a little bit in case i don't like it. The MDR is great if you know what you want and know your going to like it. I don't like to waste food, and there's only so much my hubby can eat.......................................Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent View Post

I'm with you there Richard, ferry boat cruising.
                      Wilba

Comment

surprised with mixed views but we are all different in what we like and what ships we are on, the replies have been good reading will bear on this on mind on our next cruse,. thanks all for posting keep the posts coming

Comment

Originally posted by DUETTO, Staines View Post
                          surprised with mixed views but we are all different in what we like and what ships we are on, the replies have been good reading will bear on this on mind on our next cruse,. thanks all for posting keep the posts coming
                          You wouldn't have any problems about being understood in the restaurants or buffets on board a Thomson ship. Even although the crew, particularly the waiters will be Philipinos in the main, the service is superb for all tastes and we have never had any problems particularly on the Celebration. It may also be due in part to the majority of passengers being Brits or Irish.

Comment

Duetto if you think the portions are too small, you could order a double portion . My friend orders almost all the deserts on the menu.
                            If the food is luke warm did you ever complain to the waiter ?
                            Even on the Italian ships the maitre d' always spoke very good English. We usually cruise with friends and most of us have some dietary restrictions or other . For example one of them has colon trouble so can't eat anything that contains seeds and certain fats. She never had a problem having her dish served without any tomato and on occassions when the waiter wasn't sure about a dish he'd go and ask the chef.
                            Many on this forum say they visit the MDR on boarding and speak to the maitre d' about their problems

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                              Your Asda must be pretty amazing Richard. The sushi and cold seafood stations are very hard to totally ignore...in fact on a long cruise, occasionally, my other half will eat in the MDR and I will head for the buffet and pick up some lobster, crab claws and 'shrimps' and skip over to the sushi selection to finish the tray push.

'Your Asda must be pretty amazing Richard. The sushi and cold seafood stations are very hard to totally ignore...'

Sushi stations? In Asda?

This is the poor south you know.

We'd be lucky to get a Nigiri or Norimaki Pizza down here.

Comment

bob

thanks thompsons are excellent travel agents, but not at all impressed with their airline and thought their ships may be just as bad, also saw a tv doc once that gave a grime picture of thompson cruises. So there fore never even considered them when thinking of booking a cruise.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X