• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dinning restaurant v buffet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dinning restaurant v buffet

tried to answer the breakfast thread but cannot get answer to apper when reply not sure if post now closed.

I was wondering about eating, we tried restaurant in every cruise at least once, all had the same problems. slow service, luke warm food, small portions, sometimes poor choice, hopless waiters that cannot grasp what vegan food is when my wife requests it.

With the buffet we have flexi eating times choose our food from a bigger choice including food listed in the restaurant, with bigger portions if wanted [thats me], food warm too, also normaly a chef hanging around to answer questions on food ingredients.

what do you prefer and your views....................david

Buffet everytime rci esp very good buffets in windjammer , princess less good buffet

Comment

Mix and match for me. Like joining others at breakfast in the restaurant as we usually have a table for 2 for dinner but enjoy a chat with fellow passengers about their plans for the day. Also like to order special dishes sometimes which require a menu. Other times very happy with a plate of fruit and a roll and so head for the buffet and then out on deck...Carol

Comment

Buffet for breakfast and lunch. MDR for dinner and at least one speciality restaurant per cruise.
        sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Restaurant every time. Much more civilised.

I can't recall getting lukewarm food nor do I have a problem with portion size. I find the service very good albeit a bit impersonal at times.

Compare that with the buffet area where one may very well get lukewarm food, if not cold, by the time you find a table at peak time. The food served in the restaurant is always freshly cooked for you whereas in the buffet this is not so.

So, again - restaurant wins hands down.

cheers
          Harvey

Comment

Cabin service "brekkie" (I don't do bright and breezy at breakfast!) then restaurant for lunch and dinner. I don't believe in going on holiday to stand in a self service food queue. Have never had any problems with poor service or any grouches about the food.

Comment

The 'small portion size' in the MDR is a bonus! It's sooooo tempting to eat too much, and constantly, and it's easier to pick something tasty off the menu than be tempted to try several things in the buffet!
              That said, breakfast in either the buffet or the MDR, lunch usually in the buffet and dinner usually in the MDR, so a mix, I suppose.

Comment

greg

is that the windjammer on the indep of seas? if so the choice was fantastic, but a lot of food was spoilt as it was done american style, far too much salt, and corn syrup in the sweets, sugarwater on fresh fruit etc the burgers in the johhy rockets dinner were good, yet the burgers in the windjammer were dreadful like mcdonalds staff said the were the same by my taste buds said otherwise

Comment

MDR for breakfast or lunch (can't do both ) MDR or speciallity restaurant for dinner, I don't do buffets at home so no way am I going to pay 2K for the privilege whilst on holiday.....

Sean

Comment

Harvey

If we could get good service in the restaurant we would use it. Also its the waiters, all the ships seem to recruit from 3rd world places thats ok if they speak good english but they do not, when we ask about the ingriedents would get conflicting answers, the chef is never available in the restaurant to answer questions either just very frustrating my wife being vegan enjoys her fresh fruit and veg but asking does a dish contain butter/milk is hard work when the waiter is indian/phillipeano etc. If only they could recruit a few english waiters or ones from english speaking nations like australia/USA etc.

We do not drink alcohol for medical reasons so do not order this at the restaurant, but notice people who do seemed to get a faster service, we wondered if the waiters got commision on drinks, and because we did not order them put us on the slow burner.

Comment

Don't think the waiters get commission on drinks!! Usually either Somellier (don't know if that's the right spelling?)or dedicated wine waiters
                      deal with the drinks orders and will serve non alcoholic drinks too. Its MDR for me too, like you Seanda I don't pay a small fortune to stand in queues, serve myself and then try to find a free table, much prefer designated table and being waited on. I've never had a lukewarm meal or poor service yet.

Comment

Don't think the waiters get commission on drinks!! Usually a Somellier (don't know if that's the right spelling?) or dedicated wine waiter sees to the drinks orders and will serve non alcoholic drinks too. Which Line/ship did you sail with? We're dedicated MDR devotees as we don't pay a small fortune to stand in queus, serve ourselves and then try to find a table. Never had warm/cold food or poor service and OH's dietary requirements have always been considered. Agree though that American's ruin the food!

Comment

we always go early to the buffet so do not get caught in queues, if long queues appear must admit we would have to think again as you say did not pay a big wedge to stand in a queue, so far been ok never had queues for a buffet.

we are looking forward to the marcopolo cruise they said they get a lot of vegans and cater for them, plus the waiters are from eastern europe so may well speak better english and be better waiters. so will be interesting in the restaurant v buffet option.

Comment

Originally posted by DUETTO, Staines View Post
                            Harvey

If we could get good service in the restaurant we would use it. Also its the waiters, all the ships seem to recruit from 3rd world places thats ok if they speak good english but they do not, when we ask about the ingriedents would get conflicting answers, the chef is never available in the restaurant to answer questions either just very frustrating my wife being vegan enjoys her fresh fruit and veg but asking does a dish contain butter/milk is hard work when the waiter is indian/phillipeano etc. If only they could recruit a few english waiters or ones from english speaking nations like australia/USA etc.

We do not drink alcohol for medical reasons so do not order this at the restaurant, but notice people who do seemed to get a faster service, we wondered if the waiters got commision on drinks, and because we did not order them put us on the slow burner.

That's an interesting question and my immediate response would be that I don't believe that purchasing alcohol would affect the speed of your service.

On some cruise lines, Royal Caribbean for example, the waiters serve the wine as well as the food and as the wine has 15% service charge added the waiters must get that.

Do you opt for a table for two? Otherwise someone else on your table would probably be drinking alcohol.

I'm lucky and have no dietary restrictions but it seems that choice is limited for vegetarians or vegans and my thought would be that the food you order may have to be specially cooked and therefore take longer.

I'm firmly a fan of the MDR - I like to be served and to avoid queuing. The vast majority of the time I have been served speedily with hot food although there are exceptions and the choice has usually been better than the buffet for me - kippers for example rarely appear in a buffet.

Comment

hampshire

we have always found if it in the MDR but not in the buffet, we would ask and staff get it sent up to the buffet, but used to find it hard explaining black pudding to a phillipeano at breakfast they just could grasp black pudding or that cheese was from an animal and no good for a vegan, same too with geting flora butter all had it in stock but hard to explain to the waiters what it was.

would like to see cruise liners have ten percent english speakers as waiters where english is their first language.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X