• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oceania Sirena 6 Nov 2019 15n TA from £2,100pp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oceania Sirena 6 Nov 2019 15n TA from £2,100pp

This is me being indulgent.

I am going to do this as a live walk through as I investigate Oceania, more for me to keep my thought in order.
    If thinking about Oceania and not sure pull up the website and walk through as well.

With prices going up on the regular lines thought I would have a look at Oceania and pick a cruise to research a bit.
    not familiar with the included stuff or perks etc. so if anyone can add experience that will help me and maybe others.

I started with a V2G search for all Oceania cruises to see what there is out there with a sort on pppd to get a rough feel.

We quite like a TA to test out new lines/ships as it maximises on board time and we have a TA window in Nov this year.
    I picked a fairly standard 15n cruise BCN to Miami with a few ports.

Now off to the cruise line web site for more info, it has defaulted to £ which is expected.

First thing to note is I quite like the look of the "find a cruise" interface starts will all 400+ cruise available and filters for the main criteria, date, region, duration, ship, port, special and sort on date, price or duration.
    (one minor flaw/benefit is cruises that have sailed, back to Jan 2019, are still selectable handy if you want to check a previous itinerary)

quick selection and live filter soon narrows down to the TA chosen using the list view I get a useful summary of the cruise.
    BARCELONA TO MIAMI
    ATLANTIC SOIREE
    Departs: November 6, 2019
    Days / Ship: 15-Day Voyage - Sirena
    Receive our OLife Ultimate* inclusive package on this voyage and enjoy all three OLife Amenities for FREE.
    Ports: Barcelona, Cartagena, Malaga, Seville, Funchal, St. George, Miami
    Also the lead in price of £2509pp(now I have no idea yet as an Oceania novice what that means)

Onto view cruise details.

layout of the page is good with fare details in a table so easy to see relative cost for each grade.
    including for each grade a drop down with pics layout and amenities, really handy to have this here at the first page for a cruise.

then there is the offer
    Special Offer

Enjoy our OLife Ultimate* inclusive package on this voyage, which includes all of the incredible amenities below:

Airfare & Internet*
    FREE 8 Shore Excursions
    FREE House Beverage Package
    FREE US$800 Shipboard Credit
    plus FREE Gratuities
    Amenities are per stateroom OLife Ultimate is valid on Categories B2 through PH1
    B2 start at £3,669
    What that seems to tell me that air grats and drinks are not included in standard fares.

lets try a booking with "plan my cruise" (first hurdle need to have an account so create one)
    NO air first. looks like the prices have changed to £2069/3229
    Now I see amenities drop down for the inside grade so go back to check the first cruise page there is a view all offers.
    Look like there may be other offers on this cruise OLife Ultimate, OLife choice and Receive 3 Free Amenities.
    maybe these are applicable to grades below B2?

back to the booking.
    If I select air the prices are back so looks like air is included in those prices.
    For the inside the amenities drop down has.beverage shorex and $400OBC.
    PIck the inside with air. we are at £5k total
    Seems LHR is included
    Amenities is just one of the 3 options.
    transfers next, prices are outrageous, £60pp where in BCN a taxi is around €35(last time we did one)

OK all in £5032 for the inside with air and beverage.
    Without air its £4,148 a £440pp air credit and no 2.50pp Atol charge.

if I go upto delux OV I can pick beverage grats and $400OBC price is about £1k more
    (I gave up trying to find the grats on the web site google says $16pppd that covers around £740 of the £1k)
    The Balcony B2 adds 8 shorex and another £1.4k

So there we have it still not 100% on top of what the deal is but lets go with around £170pppd with air and beverage but not including grats.(£140pppd no air)
    Not as easy to work out as some of the lines like Azamara.

OK now what are the US price

Using Oceania web site. no air inc beverage near enough the same price.

Checking with a US TA same price, there is a cruise only no perks price of £115pppd

Is this good price for Oceania? not sure yet, £5k buys a lot of cruise when looking at a TAs

The Azamara TA 16n is £4.4k for a balcony cruise only that includes grats there is enough left to cover the flights.

Celebrity Reflection TA air, drinks and grats in a balcony 13n is £4,800

A good target for budget priced 2week transatlantic is under £1kpp inc flights and sometimes you squeeze in drinks and grats at that price point.
    better cabins and ships push the prices up, there are lots of choice when it comes to allocating the extra.

TD we always have our TA remove the ‘free’ airfares meaning we can travel earlier or stay on after the cruise, it’s surprising how much this saves. The perks are either OBC, drinks package which is wine or beer lunch or dinner only or X amount of tours which can only be chosen from a set amount. All perks are per person. We always take the OBC.

All alcohol free drinks ie latte, cappuccino, fizzy juice, smoothies, etc are included in cruise price. Their alcoholic drinks are expensive ie cocktails approx $12 but they have 2 happy hours a day, 5-6 and 10 or 10.30-11 or 11.30. Two of the same drinks for the price of one. They only bring out the 2nd drink when you ask for it.

The Grand Dining room is is open for all 3 meals times and there are no set time dining. No long queues. The food is excellent. Lobster is easier to order than chips! Try the surf and turf sandwich at the pool grill for lunch, it’s yummy, The fillet steak is cooked to your liking.

Food in the buffet is served by the staff meaning portion control and less germs floating about.

Lead in price is for inside cabin including airfares unless you've ticked the no air box. If you book the cat cabin B2 upwards you will receive all the perks but if you book lower than a B2 you’ll only receive 1 perk of your choice.

No formal nights. No queues on or off ship. Nice cabins. Plenty of very comfortable sunbeds with no hoggers. Everything is only a few minutes walk. Free speciality restaurants.

its all down to what your looking for, small and intimate with great food and service or larger less intimate but still with good food and service.

we are booked for next year on Sirena Miami 10 nights round trip. We booked an inside cabin with no flights for approx £1600pp with $600 OBC, free non alcoholic drinks and free specialty restaurants we think it was a good price.
    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Inside price for Nov cruise without flights are £2069, oceanview £2379, balcony £3229. One perk of your choice will be available but remember each perk shown is PP ie $400pp OBCpp, 4 tours pp,

B2 is the first balcony grade cabin.

never pay for their transfers as they are horrendously expensive. Try and get your TA to offer you them or just find your own.
      Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 10th April 2019, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that really useful,
        ​​When looking at new lines it can take a while to establish the value proposition.

The air credit for this TA was £440pp I can usual source a flight to BCN and flight back from USA cheaper that that.(i did not try for that cruise).

I think Oceania might get in range for us on selected trips.
        Shame we don't get loyalty discounts for our NCL status.

Need to do some price watching but old Frank know how to keep prices high from watching NCL prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
          Thanks for that really useful,
          ​​When looking at new lines it can take a while to establish the value proposition.

The air credit for this TA was £440pp I can usual source a flight to BCN and flight back from USA cheaper that that.(i did not try for that cruise).

I think Oceania might get in range for us on selected trips.
          Shame we don't get loyalty discounts for our NCL status.

Need to do some price watching but old Frank know how to keep prices high from watching NCL prices.
          We think by the time we add up the OBC, included non alcoholic drinks and specialty restaurants then deduct from the price we pay it works cheaper than some ‘cheaper’ cruiselines. Oceania’s prices very rarely drop. The price we paid for our April 2020 when we booked last year is still the same.

Hubby loves the small ship experience. The entertainment is not that great though. Afternoon tea is white gloved waiter served every day. Oh and the beds are soooooo comfortable. Zzzzzzzz

Comment

Our first cruise was on Insignia 10 years ago & our second was a TA on Marina. Beautiful ships, amazing staff & fabulous food everywhere. As Issyalex says the TA gives you time to really enjoy the ship which never seems crowded.
            We didn't like their excursions, very poor value and they had no Oceania staff on the buses so any problems you encountered caused a bit of mayhem. This may have changed.
            Their prices have shot up since they started introducing their "perks" most of which we don't want, not interested in Internet or drinks package and certainly wouldn't want any excursions on the TA. The ports they visit are easy to do on your own. As mentioned their included non alcoholic drinks package is really good & if it's still the same I really liked the way they restocked your fridge with the non alcoholic drinks daily. Their standard cruise was a really good deal before they were taken over by NCL but I'll keep an eye out for a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs, Tyne and Wear View Post
              Our first cruise was on Insignia 10 years ago & our second was a TA on Marina. Beautiful ships, amazing staff & fabulous food everywhere. As Issyalex says the TA gives you time to really enjoy the ship which never seems crowded.
              We didn't like their excursions, very poor value and they had no Oceania staff on the buses so any problems you encountered caused a bit of mayhem. This may have changed.
              Their prices have shot up since they started introducing their "perks" most of which we don't want, not interested in Internet or drinks package and certainly wouldn't want any excursions on the TA. The ports they visit are easy to do on your own. As mentioned their included non alcoholic drinks package is really good & if it's still the same I really liked the way they restocked your fridge with the non alcoholic drinks daily. Their standard cruise was a really good deal before they were taken over by NCL but I'll keep an eye out for a good deal.
              Your fridge is still stocked with water and/or fizzy juice of your choice. The only things you pay for when onboard is alcohol, shopping, spa and gratuities.

Comment

Thanks for that, good to know some things have not changed.

It really is a quality line & other TA cruises which we've done on P&O & Celebrity whilst good are just not in the same league.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                X