• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Imperial Jewels of China

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haworth, Wokingham
    started a topic Imperial Jewels of China

Imperial Jewels of China

We have been thinking about a China trip for a while, this popped into my in box and we have decided to book, looks a good deal to us.

https://www.vikingrivercruises.co.uk...ast_Passengers

John

• Haworth, Wokingham
    replied
    Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
    Did this tour 3 years ago - fantastically well organised. I looked at their itinerary and it says 14 days (rather than 15) so check what you are getting. Then it was 11 days and the choice of extra cost extensions (3 days) before or after the main event. We choose the pre-cruise extension in Shanghai.

I had a thoroughly great time and bought a 48 hour rail ticket (cheap as chips) and also travelled the Maglev (not included in the rail ticket) but only £8 (cheapest way I know to travel at 432kph!). Felt thoroughly safe at all times when going solo. The Bund in the evening ia amazing with all the colourfully lit boats going up & down.

The vastness of the Yangtze is staggering also the cities you have never heard of on the way that have 10, 12, and even more millions of residents. I found the silk factory fascinating. Terracotts Army unforgettable. I could go on.

Have a wonderful time (and don't forget your visa).

Bill
    Thanks for the tips, we are doing a 2 day Shanghai extension at the end of the trip.

John

Leave a comment:

• Lawnmowerman, Tain
    replied
    Did this tour 3 years ago - fantastically well organised. I looked at their itinerary and it says 14 days (rather than 15) so check what you are getting. Then it was 11 days and the choice of extra cost extensions (3 days) before or after the main event. We choose the pre-cruise extension in Shanghai.

I had a thoroughly great time and bought a 48 hour rail ticket (cheap as chips) and also travelled the Maglev (not included in the rail ticket) but only £8 (cheapest way I know to travel at 432kph!). Felt thoroughly safe at all times when going solo. The Bund in the evening ia amazing with all the colourfully lit boats going up & down.

The vastness of the Yangtze is staggering also the cities you have never heard of on the way that have 10, 12, and even more millions of residents. I found the silk factory fascinating. Terracotts Army unforgettable. I could go on.

Have a wonderful time (and don't forget your visa).

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Haworth, Wokingham
    replied
    Originally posted by Wansbrough, North Somerset View Post

If I win the lottery this week we will join you.
    I hope we've got the same numbers

Leave a comment:

• Wansbrough, North Somerset
    replied
    Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
    We have been thinking about a China trip for a while, this popped into my in box and we have decided to book, looks a good deal to us.

https://www.vikingrivercruises.co.uk...ast_Passengers

John
    If I win the lottery this week we will join you.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
    You can't expect all loos to be bog standard..

Regards
    Garf.
    True, but it could be a bit of a bum’s rush if you can’t work out your air dry from your cleansing water!

Leave a comment:

• Garfield, Waterlooville
    replied
    You can't expect all loos to be bog standard..

Regards
    Garf.

Leave a comment:

• Haworth, Wokingham
    replied
    Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
    K

In our Tokyo hotel, the loo had a remote control. There were various sound options, including choice of classical or pop music. These were indicated with music notes, but all the other buttons had Japanese characters, so I didn’t dare try them.

John ... tell your wife that the disabled facilities are usually Western style. Not necessarily pristine but Western. Also, the shopping opportunities like the Silk Factories which try to sell overpriced goods to tourists generally provide clean Western loos.
    Thanks, she will be fine, good northern stock like me

Leave a comment:

• smtcan, Scarborough
    replied
    K
    Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

When we first went to live in S.E.Asia, I wondered why western style loos sometimes had scratched plastic seats.

I soon learnt why.

Conversely, I just had to take snapshots of the loo in the club lounge bathroom of our hotel in Singapore earlier this year. It was so complicated if one wanted anything other than a ''sit and flush'', a degree in technology was required.

Made a hole in the ground and a handy nearby hosepipe seem a bit dated!

Edit
    Which it is in tourist areas these days for anyone getting the heeby jeebies at the though of loos in Asia.
    In our Tokyo hotel, the loo had a remote control. There were various sound options, including choice of classical or pop music. These were indicated with music notes, but all the other buttons had Japanese characters, so I didn’t dare try them.

John ... tell your wife that the disabled facilities are usually Western style. Not necessarily pristine but Western. Also, the shopping opportunities like the Silk Factories which try to sell overpriced goods to tourists generally provide clean Western loos.

Leave a comment:

• Haworth, Wokingham
    replied
    Thanks, I wont pass onto to my wife, she can still remember Northern Thailand and facing similar/worse challenges

John

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied

I must admit that I thought the sign 'USE ONLY WHEN SEATED' in a women’s toilet in Dubai was hilarious until I saw a Chinese woman squat on the seat in a doorless Western style toilet in Xi'an. There was a queue from our group waiting for the other stall which had a door.
    When we first went to live in S.E.Asia, I wondered why western style loos sometimes had scratched plastic seats.

I soon learnt why.

Conversely, I just had to take snapshots of the loo in the club lounge bathroom of our hotel in Singapore earlier this year. It was so complicated if one wanted anything other than a ''sit and flush'', a degree in technology was required.

Made a hole in the ground and a handy nearby hosepipe seem a bit dated!

Edit
    Which it is in tourist areas these days for anyone getting the heeby jeebies at the though of loos in Asia.
    Last edited by Mrs M; 6th July 2019, 12:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• smtcan, Scarborough
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

I was about to reply to this thread with a similar ''looks interesting and well priced'' comment but I'll add my two pennyworth, as opposed to ''a penny'' with regards to '' The Squat'', not the ''the squits' which isn't a good condition to have for ''The Squat'', as I could write a couple of chapters on my lavatorial experiences in S.E.Asia, mostly, I have to say, of the hilarious variety.

As a sense of decorum flies out of the occasional non existent door in these circumstances, a sense of humour is essential, especially when wearing a rather exquisite white jumpsuit!
    I must admit that I thought the sign 'USE ONLY WHEN SEATED' in a women’s toilet in Dubai was hilarious until I saw a Chinese woman squat on the seat in a doorless Western style toilet in Xi'an. There was a queue from our group waiting for the other stall which had a door.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    We did a similar itinerary in April 2015 with a different company and enjoyed the experience so much that we have returned to China on two more occasions. Your tour seems to cover the major points of interest and spring is a good time to visit. I was surprised at the clean, modern planes used for the internal flights. Every hotel we stayed in was clean, with spacious rooms and good Western breakfasts. The only less than stellar feature was Chinese public toilets. We quickly learned that if the guide suggested a rest stop we should take it, because they knew where the cleaner facilities were.
    Sheila
    I was about to reply to this thread with a similar ''looks interesting and well priced'' comment but I'll add my two pennyworth, as opposed to ''a penny'' with regards to '' The Squat'', not the ''the squits' which isn't a good condition to have for ''The Squat'', as I could write a couple of chapters on my lavatorial experiences in S.E.Asia, mostly, I have to say, of the hilarious variety.

As a sense of decorum flies out of the occasional non existent door in these circumstances, a sense of humour is essential, especially when wearing a rather exquisite white jumpsuit!
    Last edited by Mrs M; 6th July 2019, 11:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• smtcan, Scarborough
    replied
    We did a similar itinerary in April 2015 with a different company and enjoyed the experience so much that we have returned to China on two more occasions. Your tour seems to cover the major points of interest and spring is a good time to visit. I was surprised at the clean, modern planes used for the internal flights. Every hotel we stayed in was clean, with spacious rooms and good Western breakfasts. The only less than stellar feature was Chinese public toilets. We quickly learned that if the guide suggested a rest stop we should take it, because they knew where the cleaner facilities were.
    Sheila

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X