• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Docking in Seville

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Docking in Seville

Does anybody know exactly where Fred Olsen ships dock in Seville? We are cruising there on Braemar in June and wondering if we are within easy walking distance of certain attractions. Thank you.

Google Whats In Port, all the information regarding the port of Seville is there. Enjoy the cruise. Jen

Comment

Originally posted by EnigmAd, Herne Bay View Post
      Does anybody know exactly where Fred Olsen ships dock in Seville? We are cruising there on Braemar in June and wondering if we are within easy walking distance of certain attractions. Thank you.
      They dock just out of the town, so hopefully should be in easy reach of everything. What are you hoping to do? ...............................................Car ol

Comment

I can only quote Azamara who docked opposite the Plaza Espana and everything was in walking distance, fabulous city but very, very, hot in the summer.

The Royal Alcazar Palace and gardens are fantastic and featured in the first episode of the Monty Don series about Islamic Gardens.

We loved Seville

John

Comment

Same as John, I have only done it on Azamara. We disembarked and had 2 nights in a hotel. I think it was around the end of August and the weather was very steamy. They even had some kind of air-conditioning outside a cafe where we stopped for a drink. There is a beautiful park where we hired a horse drawn carriage with overhead cover to keep the sun off - so we saw more of the place than if we had tried walking. Look forward to hearing all about it when you get back. Have a great time.

Comment

Thank you for some great feedback. I did check 'What's in Port' before posting but it wasn't very helpful for smaller ships.
            We're looking at Alcazar and the cathedral with Amigo Tours then antique and craft venues which seem to be mainly open Thursdays to Saturdays. Plus a few Plaza's, we hear Plaza Del San Lorenzo is particularly beautiful.
            Does anyone have any feedback on Amigo tours?

Comment

Cant help with Amigo tours sorry, we did our own thing

John

Comment

Are you sure it is Seville. Some advertise a port as Seville but say tours from Cadiz which is an hour or so away.

To know what is in port and where you can Google the port authority cruise schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by mags, cardiff View Post
                  Are you sure it is Seville. Some advertise a port as Seville but say tours from Cadiz which is an hour or so away.

To know what is in port and where you can Google the port authority cruise schedule.
                  Good point, but smaller ships can navigate the Guadalquivir River up to Seville.

John

Comment

It appears FO dock about 1 to 2 Km from the centre.Seville is easily done without a tour but will be hot and tiring at any time of the year. If you do a little research on the layout you should easily find your way around with a good map.

If you look at the map and start at the old cigarette factory now the University, you will see everything is easily walked from there. The main street has a tramway straight down the middle so from the tobacco factory to the Cathederal. Then either follow tramway to end and into the small shops and the Metropol Parasol or around the cathedral and into the old town behind it. Note a lot of old Seville is like a maze and disorientating.

The Alcazar gardens are probably best left to your last destination as they are reasonably near your berth.

An organised tour will be able to take you around those slightly out of town sites as well, but I usually find they either dash in and out or stay far longer than interests me.

OOI we were there in December for 3 nights and it was magical - highly recommended for a winter city break (fly to Malaga and transfer by local train for a real Spanish experience).

Cheers

Tony B

Comment

As mentioned it can be extremely hot in Seville in summer. Benefit of an organised tour is less time standing in heat queueing as they have pre purchased tickets. Often big queues for Alcazar & cathedral but you can buy in advance online.
                      Don't miss the Plaza de Espana an amazing example of the architecture of the various regions of Spain. Our guide advised us to avoid the people selling stuff especially the "lucky heather". Just say "no gracias " don't let them give you anything or you will never get rid of them.
                      The Jewish quarter is interesting too for a wander & is more shady.

Check out any horse drawn carriages before you get in one. I found they really don't look after the horses, often standing in shade & without water.

Enjoy Seville it's a beautiful city.

Comment

Did it with Azamara the first time they ever tried it and YES they dock within easy reach of all the main attractions. They even have a C & A, if you are old enough to remember them, there. The thrilling bit is that the last leg of the journey is done in reverse as they can't turn round where they dock and it is too difficult to do it any other way. .....Neil

Comment

Originally posted by B&D, Shepton Mallet View Post
                          Same as John, I have only done it on Azamara. We disembarked and had 2 nights in a hotel. I think it was around the end of August and the weather was very steamy. They even had some kind of air-conditioning outside a cafe where we stopped for a drink. There is a beautiful park where we hired a horse drawn carriage with overhead cover to keep the sun off - so we saw more of the place than if we had tried walking. Look forward to hearing all about it when you get back. Have a great time.
                          Hi B&D
                          Been to Seville a few times,,,,,the only place i have seen those outdoor air conditioning machines,,,,,they are cold water mist machines,,,,the cold water almost dries as it hits you.
                          You can see the mist but it's not uncomfortable.
                          Last time i went was March 2017,,,,and you needed a light jacket in the evening,,ideal for sightseeing,,,,before that it was the end of June and the heat was unbearable.

A map on a wall,,,,,useless if you stay/venture into the Santa Cruz district,,,,,twice I've stayed in a hotel in Santa Cruz,,,,and every time we left the hotel we came back a different route to the one when we went out.
                          FSPakBLzlu_kMsCbT6wpMh8Ys70cbZTIDsDwNTwD-w8eDMq6NyGEO_fERI6ah6CM3pSyseg16-cIfVynezbQh2vXcVJTj1eus2IcZiPncfEE_SG7iLpKj-IWQUSKf9xyKhTmXaWs6EZKGtXw88s5Tpci0X7cBjlWCf_z7BInGU6vqX1UPNlMpKDm3e9LH_sCiyM1XTAd2lOzTFJZepNDsiTADyaOijKuJjKRfBuoShQdca_AcdCeUnvl3SCHesZ
                          JC
                          C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                          "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X