haley - Answered a Question by Humphries (01 Jul 07 20:30)

We have enjoyed great cruises on the Oceana and the Oriana but the QE2 is the one that we talk about most frequently and remember for being a great and everlasting experience .

LAYZELL - Answered a Question by Humphries (03 Jul 07 22:16)

Dear sir obvious you know nothing about cunard ships , the new mary matches her predessor in every way, apart from a foreign crew which cannot be helped and i have no dout victoria will be the best of all , mark my words, just for the record was it not the lizzy that had so many troubles at the begining with the engine on her trail.

Andrews - Answered a Question by Humphries (04 Jul 07 08:23)

Who knows? The same question may have been asked of the then new and very modern looking QE2 in relation to the Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth. However, I doubt whether they will leave the same lasting impression. QE2 is after all a proper ocean liner and still the fastest ship afloat. My cousin was on his boat in the solent the other day when the Queen Mary 2 went past - he thought it ugly, likening it to a floating block of flats - like all other modern ships in other words. It is of course very nice being on a ship with a balcony cabin and all the fantastic facilities they offer, but one should remember one is on 'the cruel sea' which is not always calm and hospitable and I wonder how safe these high sided leviathans are? I still think the QE2 is the safest ship and is the one I would rather be on in really bad conditions. I shall look forward to one final voyage on her in 2008.

Thornton - Answered a Question by Humphries (04 Jul 07 10:48)

I travelled on the Queen Mary 2 on her maiden voyage and she received a wonderful reception at every port we visited. people were awed by her height and contrary to what many of your correspondents have said she is definitely a liner and not a cruise ship. She retains the sleek curved bow which cuts thro the waves. we sailed through a particularly rough Bay of Biscay and she coped superbly and you do not get as much roll as you used to on the QE2. The only thing I missed was the wonderful Midnight Buffets you get on the QE2, not for the quantity but for the choice on offer. I will be on the Maiden Voyage of the Victoria and am sure she will be a worthy successor to the QE2. She seems to be aiming for the service of the QE2 plus the more modern comforts of the Mary.

archer - Answered a Question by Humphries (06 Jul 07 20:34)

Possibly the QM2 will leave an impression in 30+ years time, from what i have seen so far of the new ship it looks very similar to the rest of the floating tower blocks which are now the norm. Lets face it the QE2 is the last of the line - an icon which i have been proud to sail on and will never be replaced - i'm so sad that the end is now in sight - luckily i have two further cruises to enjoy the experience of travelling on the last classic liner that will ever be built.I must admit when i leave her for the last time in October next year after the final transatlantic trip there will be tears in the eye and a very heavy heart. I remember seeing both the old queens in Southampton in 1966 and thinking then as a 12 year old that they would never be replaced - i was wrong the QE2 was a worthy successor and has been an outstanding ambassador for the UK - its a disgrace that she did not stay with us and is too finish up in the middle east, the only consolation is that money will be spent on her and hopefully she will not be allowed to wrot away and will enjoy a long and hopefully happy retirement.

Barrett - Answered a Question by Humphries (18 Jul 07 10:12)

I'm a bit disconcerted to read some of the comments about the QM2, as we are booked to sail on it in October! Now I'm sad we've missed the QE2. However, we had the marvellous experience of sailing on the old Queen Elizabeth in 1969, a wonderful, unforgettable experience; that ship had a sense of history - amid the elegance of the past, memories of the thousands of troops it transported during the War.

Prev 1 2