Smithye - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (28 Jul 07 20:03)

No it's not, but fares are set with two people in a cabin, although if its a fly cruise only one person travels so only one airfare should be charged and only one person eats so an allowance should be made for food not consumed. There are as far as I know, a few cruise company's that have a reasonable price for single occupancy.

Belgrove - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (29 Jul 07 09:28)

NO - it certainly isn't fair - I now have to cruise alone and it costs me a fortune! I am reluctant to stop as I love cruising so much having cruised more than 50 times. You would think companies constructing ships at present would actually consider maybe including a few cabins for singles only.

fox - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (29 Jul 07 11:13)

I find this wrong that an extra charge should be incured just because your are single or widowed.

Patel - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (29 Jul 07 19:23)

N.

Whittingham - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (29 Jul 07 20:43)

I too have travelled on Cruises with my late husband and find the extra charges for widows or single persons are is absolutely awful and very hurting, we did not choose to lose our husbands so why should Holiday Companies gain.

Jardim - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (30 Jul 07 05:12)

Yes, afterall it is a business like the airlines & railways. If you need more than one seat you have to pay for it. In 2010 the International Maritime deadline,demands that all sea vessels afloat that have asbestos or solid woods, would need to be demolished or revamped WE can say goodbye to many great ships of the past.For in the past there were cruise ships with many single cabins. As the industry became larger and larger with more demands from the public, the single rooms disappeared. It is clear that the vacation is cheaper by higher volumes of guest who share. Nowadays, anyone can afford to cruise with a balcony and that is the price you pay. Tip: co-share a cabin with a friend or stranger, can be arrangede by your travel agent. Cunard, Queen Elizabeth 2 is still sailing till Nov 2009. In the mean time happy sailing. MPJ.

SMITH - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (30 Jul 07 10:53)

No, it isn@t fair. I am in this position myself. I realise that I need to pay extra in a double cabin because I am taking up space another person could pay for, but I am not taking 2 seats on the plane, or eating twice as much food. I have been quoted on occasion MORE than the cost of 2 people! However, I don't see that anyone should pay any extra if it is a single cabin - no one else can fit in, so the cruise companies aren't losing anything at all! To charge extra for these is a complete rip off!! (Island cruises are doing a good deal on single occupancy this year) .

Okill - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (30 Jul 07 14:19)

Ye, though it is not a question of fairness but one of economics. There are so many permutations on prices, most depending on when a booking is made. No single traveller pays for two airline seats, the price is abated to account for this. Cruise prices are already rock bottom due to competition. Onboard spend plays a great part in revenue generation. A single travellers onboard spend is not equal to a couples. If single occupancy was half of double occupancy I would take the opportunity to book two cabins, one for my wife and one for myself, what fun!

kelly - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (30 Jul 07 22:25)

I totaly agree with you, iwas looking at the prices the other day and i was shocked at the price for a single person, on one cruise the price was higher than two people sharing i think these companys should be ashamed of them selve.

F - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (31 Jul 07 09:39)

I shall be interested in the answers you get on this subject. Last year I was asked my friends if I would like to join them on the same cruise, but found the cost even asking the agents months in advance and even at the last moment, was too much - it was like having to pay for another non-person.