Stableford - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (28 Jul 07 10:12)

I agree but it's not only the cruise lines, it's 99% of all travel companies. I am 60 and have been travelling on my own all my life. The exhorbitant single supplements limit my travel arrangements. If they realised it, travel companies would get so much more custom if this supplement was reduced radically. Re cruise ships, I would certainly be going on many more cruises. I just love them but usually go with my elderly aunt to help with the cost.

Williamson - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (28 Jul 07 10:13)

No it isn't and, in my opinion, quite unjustified. I don't want to share with anyone when I go away as I like my privacy and to be able to go to bed and get up when I want to. I can't relax properly with someone else in the room. I also don't like sleeping in a single bed. Lastly, I only eat one portion of food each time, so there is a considerable saving for the company there.

Murray - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (28 Jul 07 10:45)

I agree that it is unfair, but we all know why they do it. For example lets say their pricing is £500 per person for a week, then a couple in a cabin would pay £1000. If they didn't charge a supplement, why would they want to sell cabins for £500 when they can sell then for £1000. Sadly it is not likely to change. We have a cruise booked through this site for Oct on Costa Victoria. Cost per person for hubby and I is £612 per person for 7 nights with our flights from Aberdeen. Last month I wanted to add my mum on the booking and phoned www.CRUISE.co.uk for a price for a single cabin and was quoted just over £1400. I shrieked at that as hubby and I are paying less than that for the 2 of us. So I phoned Costa and even worse there as I was quoted over £1500!!! I explained to the girl at Costa that we had paid less and she said to me to go back to www.CRUISE.co.uk as she could see they had some special deals and that she thought the price I had been quoted by them the first time was wrong. I did that, got a very helpful gentleman, and was quoted £948. Still expensive however alot better than their first quote. Mum is now booked on this cruise with us.

SELBIE - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (28 Jul 07 11:42)

Yes I travelled solo in March & paid the supplement, but in September I am cruising with my handicapped daughter & paying suppliments on two cabins,I am male, so cannot share.That is a big exta charge. Gerry. County Durha.

Taylor - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (28 Jul 07 15:00)

We cannot understand why the xtra charges, ? it is wrong.

Hastie - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (28 Jul 07 16:21)

Absolutely true for most cruise lines but Saga & Fred Olsen do have single cabins. Suggest all these comments written below should be relayed to all cruise lines ASAP! As single passengers we drink in the bar, we go on organised trips( often very expensive) as these are the safest for us single travellers, we buy in the ship's shops, play bingo & the casinos where there are companions. Look what cash they are losing not encouraging singles to travel! Many of us have lost loving partners & we need to be able to travel in safety & comfort on our own & cruising is the perfect answer. It is time the cruise lines took note of our needs!!! Leonora Derby 28th July 2007 .

Greaves - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (28 Jul 07 16:21)

I too am a single traveller and while I accept that a small supplement should be made for the "empty Bed" I feel that the charges levied are extortionate it mkes one feel that it is done to discourage single trave.

Grant - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (28 Jul 07 17:08)

The travel industry penalises the solo traveller whether it be on land or sea. Rooms/cabins are often inferior but there is certainly nothing inferior about the rates and supplements charged. I recently had a quote from one cruise line where the supplement was actually 120% which is outrageous! Occasionally single offers do come up but not often enough and they generally tend to be for cruise dates in the very near future. Not much good when you want to plan ahead or even guarantee getting a holiday, or if you want to sail on a specific itinerary! Personally, I would not entertain cruising with a company who charge more than 50% supplement since I consider any more than that to be sheer robbery!

Sandham - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (28 Jul 07 18:42)

I think it is dreadful that we are charged for being single, it is discouraging to travel alone when it costs as much as two. Travel companies should have more consideration for satisfied customers that increased profits.

Justice - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (28 Jul 07 19:35)

Well you take up the same space as two or three people travelling together in your cabin but they should realise that single people eat half the food and add to the ambience of the cruise and this should be rewarded by special deals.