Holloway - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (27 Jul 07 23:40)

NO, it's not fair! It's bad enough that we've lost our husbands but to be charged an extortionate rate to go on holiday is not on! With my business head on, the cruise company's will doubtless defend their position by saying that single travellers lose them income. We need a cruise line dedicated to singles! I understand that German registered vessels are required to have a % of single cabins. We pay a high single supplement but very often kids go free, are we subsidising them?????

Vincent - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (28 Jul 07 00:04)

No, it isn't fair in many cases especially on fly-cruises where they want 175% for a single, the odd 25% being the price of a flight so one is paying double. Now that Cunard have given up singles (QE2 retiring) it is goodbye to them. Saga and Fred Olsen do singles. Saga Rose I can recommend; Olsen I haven't tried yet.

luty - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (28 Jul 07 06:47)

No I don't think so,it's the reason i have not gone on a cruise as of yet thou I would like to try one but not at the unfair supplement prices loaded against a single travelle.

Merritt - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (28 Jul 07 07:47)

No it is not fair. 70 per cent loading for the single person is extreme, and this is what I was penalised when I booked a cruise from Auckland to UK. Cruise liners never seem to have single cabins and for privacy one is forced to pay extra for such privacy as I was not prepared to share with a stranger.

Rae - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (28 Jul 07 08:17)

No, I don't think it is fair. As a single man who is about to undertake his third cruise I, too, am shocked at the surcharges imposed for single occupancy. For example, the cruise I am going on soon will cost my companions (who are travelling as couples) £749. For me the cost will be £1269...a surcharge of £520. How can they justify this much extra? It is time us singles stood up to this profiteering by the cruise companie.

PINDER - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (28 Jul 07 08:23)

I think it is totally unfair that Cruise Lines charge such an exhorbatant rate for single passenger - esspecially with the aged who need a carer to accompany them - there are over 2 million carers in the UK - surely there could be some thought put to this group of single traveller - the single occupancy keeps a lot of people from cruising.

Lawson - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (28 Jul 07 08:23)

With all the new ships being built, are there any Cruise Lines that are constructing Single Cabins to take into account the vast market that exsists ? Or does the Single Passanger still have to continue paying thru the nose .

allison - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (28 Jul 07 08:30)

N.

Duffy - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (28 Jul 07 09:01)

I believe the single person supplement is unfair especially when applied to Staterooms that are only resourced for single occupancy. If a lone traveller wishes to upgrade to a cabin for multiple occupancy then I feel it fair to apply a supplimentery charge given that the company may lose out on the multiple occupancy rates. However this said, the company should consider that the single person should not have to pay double rates as they shouldn't be compensating for food etc as the company would know upfront that the traveller was travelling alone. I also believe that single travellers should not be restricted to inside staterooms - more choice of stateroom would likely improve the quality of their likely 'well-earned' holiday.

grimes - Answered a Question by Wilkinson (28 Jul 07 09:21)

Sorry for your loss of yopur husband but if you got one of your friends to share with you it would help otherwise very very exspensive..........frank grimes dublin....ireland but go for it and good luck and enjo.