MCCLYMONT - Answered a Question by Caine (09 Aug 08 22:03)

I feel sorry for the Insular Americans, get off yir butts and explore. As for UK resident taking advantage in your dreams, prices in USA are dollar, UK twice as much.

Fraser - Answered a Question by Caine (09 Aug 08 22:38)

If you pay tour deposit and cancel you lose it that is the contract you sign. We lost a deposit when my wife's mother died and lost interest in the holiday which we new would happen though the company offered did us vouchers. couple of years later booking a cruise my mother died days before we were due to leave. We had taken out insurance with M&S and though not having hopes of a refund due to my mothers age (she was 94) posted a copy of the death certificate and had a full refund within 10 days. Sometimes the cheapest is not always the best .

talbot - Answered a Question by Caine (10 Aug 08 08:13)

I always book in the States ,by telephone, its much cheaper than in UK. British prices on average are at least 50% more. Seems that British travel companies are getting greedy!

fleming - replied to talbot (11 Aug 08 09:38)

I agree about booking cruises in the States. We always do this and it is almost $ for £ so it is worth the effort. Princess are not allowing UK residents to book through the US which I think is pretty bad. The fare should be the same wherever you live. So often we have cruised and been gobsmacked when we've heard what some people pay in the US. I'm not sure it's the agents I think the prices are controlled by the shipping line.

Evans - Answered a Question by Caine (10 Aug 08 17:49)

My wife and I often book crusies via travel agents in Miami. We have 'done' RCCL, Holland America and others this way. Cheapest was NCL(Miami) which including BA flight cost us £500 each for a week (£200 cruise £300 shop for flight) . The brochure price included flight and this would have refuelled in Maine and was 13 hours. Booking oursleves we flew direct and it was 9 hours !! We discovered this many years ago when we went on a 12 night Scandinavian cruise (Harwich)only to discover US on board who paid half our price including the flight. It is also legal to book Eurotunnel as a US citizen and pay with UK card and have tickets sent to UK address at a 40% saving !! The travel agents have a lot of secrets !!

Keelan - Answered a Question by Caine (11 Aug 08 10:02)

We now always book through a US TA for the superior booking conditions, and for that reason stopped booking Princess because they don't allow "foreign bookings" Not only is the deposit fully refundable as previously stated, but if the price drops the cruiseline will honour the lower price (even after final payment) The deposit is paid direct to the cruiseline and the booking shows up immediately on the cruiseline website, so there is no fear of a TA going bust (as happened to us years ago when BoooknGo went under less than 2 weeks before our planned cruise) I don't miss booking a cruise package as I like to have control of when I fly, precruise hotel etc. The only risk is the exchange rate between pound and dollar but I can live with that - either paying the balance early or cancelling if necessary. Most if not all the main US agencies accept bookings from UK residents - just check they don't have their own cancellation charge unrelated to the cruiseline, and also check their policy re: honoring pricedrops. I wish I could tell you who I use but understand that advertising is banned .

Hart - Answered a Question by Caine (11 Aug 08 20:55)

I'm surprised that www.CRUISE.co.uk have this topic on their website. You do have an advantage if you book in the States even if you are a Brit. I've booked my last few cruises in by calling the States (toll free), several advantages, one its cheaper, two you can cancel up to three months before and even get your deposit back ( and yes I have done that). So with the experience of two previous cruises and my next two all booked in the States saving me around 20% on the best UK price what more can I say?

Davies - Answered a Question by Caine (14 Aug 08 21:28)

I would take issue with the thoughts on American cruisers. When an American books a cruise on an American ship he pays in dollars (not the stering conversion) so he is all right.Moreover having just recently returned from a cruise on the Emerald Princess we came across a family of 4 (all adult paying passengers). They had travelled from the States (can't remember where)and to include cruise and return to the States for $8000.- or at the time £4000.Seems to me that there is a lot of cross subsidy occurring here and we Brits are not the winners. As a matter of interest thisship was rock solid full, the schools nin America having just finished. There were 600 children onboard out of 3000.

Prev 1 2 3