EasyJet has today announced their plans to continue the suspension of flights to the once popular holiday destination Sharm el-Sheikh.
There will now be no flights with the line to that area until May 27th at the earliest. British Airways has similarly cancelled all services up until March 26th, as have Thomson and Thomas Cook.
Airlines had previously been urged to cancel flights by the Department of Transport after a bomb brought down a Russian holiday jet last November. The Government has since advised against flying to the Red Sea resort.
Easy Jet have said that they will not resume flights until they have been told by the government that it is safe to do so.
In a statement they said: “To help provide some certainty for passengers booked to fly to Sharm el-Sheikh in spring and early summer 2016, we will be cancelling all flights to and from Sharm el-Sheikh until May 27”.
Customers booked directly with EasyJet will be able to get a refund or a voucher for flights worth the value of the cancelled flights.
EasyJet went on to say: “If flights haven’t been booked directly through easyJet.com, customers are asked to speak to the travel agency they have booked with for a refund of their flights”.
“We are sorry for the inconvenience this will cause, but we hope that being clear with all our customers at this point will provide more time and choice to make alternative arrangements. The situation is beyond our control and passenger safety will always be our number one priority”.
British airways will be offering refunds to those who are booked to fly between March 28th and June 30th or alternatively guests can choose to rebook flights after September 15th.
This new decision does however mean that thousands of British tourists may have to change their Easter holiday plans to something possibly closer to home.
What do you think of the news?
Will these rules affect your travel plans? Do you have anything planned instead?
Let us know in the comments below…