Common Vietnamese and Cambodian phrases
September 25, 2014
First of all don’t worry.
Almost everyone in Vietnam and Cambodia (especially in the big tourist cities like Saigon, Phnom Penh and Siam Reap) has some grasp of English (to a greater or lesser degree), so you’ll be fine without these phrases.
That being said however having a few handy phrases off by heart never hurts.
Why do you need these then? Well to start with it’s fun!
It’s nice to be able to thank someone in their native tongue and maybe more importantly you’ll be amazed how much it will help you haggling in the markets!
For ease of use the below translations aren’t exact, instead we’ve provided you with the phonetic pronunciations – much easier to use when you’re busy haggling!
|Hello||Sin chow||Shoes day|
|Bye||Tam biet||Jum reap leah|
|My name’s……….||Thoy la……||Khnhom chmoh……….|
|What’s yours?||Ban thane zee||Avei del chhmoh robsa anak|
|Are you alright? ( as in how are you)||Ban the nao?||Rbieb del anak|
|Thank you||Cahm un||Ohk on|
|Can you help?||Ban zoop thoy duc khom||Anak ack choy|
|What’s this?||Guy nai la zee||Avei del chea ne|
|Mmmm, good||Mmmmm, thote||Mmmm, da li|
|How much?||Bow nyew?||Tay ni chea|
|No! Too expensive!||Khome! Mahk qwa!||Kmean! Tamlei thlay pek!|
|I like||Thoy tick||Knom – Chaulcet|
Other Articles you may be interested in
- Have Your Say: Does The World Of Cruising Nee...
- The Prettiest And The Spookiest: Five Best Ci...
- New Announcement From Virgin Cruises Shocks C...
- 15 Photos That’ll Make You Wish You Were In...
- Cruise Line To Debut New Ship Just For Alaska
- How To Spend 3 Hours In Destinations Around T...
- 10 Do’s And Don’ts For Your Next Flight
- Exclusive: Step Into The Shoes Of Someone Tra...
- Our Very Own Holly And Charlie See The Snow M...
- How You Can Spend £30 Or Less In Funchal
- 16 Fun Facts About Cruising You Haven't Heard...
- It's Not All Kangaroos And Boomerangs: Cruise...