Common Vietnamese and Cambodian phrases
September 25, 2014
First of all don’t worry.
Almost everyone in Vietnam and Cambodia (especially in the big tourist cities like Saigon, Phnom Penh and Siam Reap) has some grasp of English (to a greater or lesser degree), so you’ll be fine without these phrases.
That being said however having a few handy phrases off by heart never hurts.
Why do you need these then? Well to start with it’s fun!
It’s nice to be able to thank someone in their native tongue and maybe more importantly you’ll be amazed how much it will help you haggling in the markets!
For ease of use the below translations aren’t exact, instead we’ve provided you with the phonetic pronunciations – much easier to use when you’re busy haggling!
|Hello||Sin chow||Shoes day|
|Bye||Tam biet||Jum reap leah|
|My name’s……….||Thoy la……||Khnhom chmoh……….|
|What’s yours?||Ban thane zee||Avei del chhmoh robsa anak|
|Are you alright? ( as in how are you)||Ban the nao?||Rbieb del anak|
|Thank you||Cahm un||Ohk on|
|Can you help?||Ban zoop thoy duc khom||Anak ack choy|
|What’s this?||Guy nai la zee||Avei del chea ne|
|Mmmm, good||Mmmmm, thote||Mmmm, da li|
|How much?||Bow nyew?||Tay ni chea|
|No! Too expensive!||Khome! Mahk qwa!||Kmean! Tamlei thlay pek!|
|I like||Thoy tick||Knom – Chaulcet|
Other Articles you may be interested in
- Safety Onboard: Lifeguards Rolling Out Across...
- Snack With A Sea View: Top Five Cruise Ships ...
- Cunard Captain Tackles The Controversial And ...
- The Winners Are Announced… Find Out Who Won...
- Top Five Cruise Lines For The Cheapest Gratui...
- The First Wine-Themed Sailings Have Arrived P...
- An Introduction To: Princess Cruises
- Welcome To Japan's Secret Island For A Volcan...
- 15 Japanese Customs That May Seem Crazy But Y...
- Adventure And Love Finally Combined: The Most...
- The Dreamy Definitive Guide To Amsterdam, The...
- Twelve Things All First Time Cruisers Get Wro...