Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Hi all.
    For those who have recently been to Venice,what do you think of the preponderance of advertising hoardings around St Marks area.
    This is a hot topic for Venetians,,,we know the council have to make money,,,but.
    These are just like graffiti to me,,,why have the most beautiful buildings in the world and hide them?
    I hated them.

JC
    We also thought they were hiding restoration works. We haven't been since 2005 however at that time most of St Mark's Square was covered in scaffolding with advertising.

We turn things like this into a positive. Over the years so many places we've visited have been covered with scaffolding that we have a separate collection of photos on our wall of famous sights covered in scaffolding. So far it includes the Collesseum, Parthenon in Athens(2 visits and 2 separate sets of scaffolding), St Mark's Square, Leaning Tower of Pisa and St Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna. It has proved to be quite a talking point over the years. It also gives you a good excuse to re-visit somewhere, although goodness knows how long we'll have to wait for them to finish the Parthenon.

Cruising my way through life!

Sue

I first visited Venice in 1969, then again on two land based holidays in the '70's and on two cruises and would go back again any time.

So yes, I love Venice, BUT you do need more than a day there to appreciate both the city and the surrounding islands. So, maybe a cruise stop, and then a lengthier stay, if you enjoyed your first taste, is the ultimate experience of this city which may not be there for future generations.

Only once in my 5 visits have I visited when St. Mark's Square was under water, that was an eye opener, and I can appreciate the damage that the passage of cruise ships can inflict on this unique city. After all, Venice is built on wooden structures that cannot last forever. Let's hope that Venice can.

We loved Venice, but mainly because we dumped out tour guide and got away from the main sights, although we did enjoy the Doges Palace. We've been to some lovely cafes in nearly deserted squares that charge normal Italian prices and seen lesser known places like the ancient dockyard that you will never be taken to. Most of these quiet places are within 15 minutes walk of St Mark's Square.

Images
    Just a quick reminder that the programme is on tonight!

Do you love Venice?

Some of you may know about this programme, but maybe others do not, hence this post.

At 8.30 this evening there was a great programme about how the emergency services operate in Venice, fascinating.

It was on BBC4. There are 6 episodes, tonight's was the first. Next weeks is showing how they cope with Venice Carnival week, the trailer looked superb, all those masks etc........

Same time as tonight's episode. If you love Venice, this is a must see!

Lizzie

Thanks Lizzie, will definitely record tonight's.

Images

Bridge of Sighs

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Hi all.
    For those who have recently been to Venice,what do you think of the preponderance of advertising hoardings around St Marks area.
    This is a hot topic for Venetians,,,we know the council have to make money,,,but.
    These are just like graffiti to me,,,why have the most beautiful buildings in the world and hide them?
    I hated them.

JC
    Know what you mean JC, it was even more dire around the corner...

Whatever happened to the The Bridge of Sighs or even the Ponte dei Sospiri?

And me with my new camera.

Images
    At least we knew where the entrance to St. Marks square was..

*Carol M*

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678