Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Food Safety

Images

Food Safety

Hi..this morning I discovered a couple of jars of homemade produce that I made about 5 years ago,maybe more,when I was going through a "organic,pesticide free,home produce,self sufficiency "phase.One jar contains beetroot,and the other jar contains blackberry jam liberally laced with Amaretto i seem to remember! Both jars never enjoyed vacuum sealing or anything like that,but they both look absolutely perfect.My question is...are they safe to eat?I could test them out on May,or even keep them until we have friends to stay in October,but I'm not that sort of person..so come on you W.I.ladies,Save Stan from Salmonella

5 years is way too long to trust any home packaged food product with or without vacuum packing. I would advise disposing of them.

Cheers Eric
    - Former Executive Chef

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting
    ...man,what a ride!

Wink

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Hi..this morning I discovered a couple of jars of homemade produce that I made about 5 years ago,maybe more,when I was going through a "organic,pesticide free,home produce,self sufficiency "phase.One jar contains beetroot,and the other jar contains blackberry jam liberally laced with Amaretto i seem to remember! Both jars never enjoyed vacuum sealing or anything like that,but they both look absolutely perfect.My question is...are they safe to eat?I could test them out on May,or even keep them until we have friends to stay in October,but I'm not that sort of person..so come on you W.I.ladies,Save Stan from Salmonella

No idea really but alcohol is apreservative and Jam goes mouldy, not sure I'd risk it though.

Images
    Just eat them and report back if there is no report then we will throw out all the old jars from the larder ;) :D

Images
    No problem Stan. Eat it- but make it soon.
    I used to make jam for England when the kids were young. One year, I made so much plum jam that we were eating it years later.
    If there is no sign of mould or fermentation then it should be ok.
    Elf and safety bods will probably come at me with all guns blazing but I'm sure we've all taken bigger risks with food at the hands of our parents and before the world went mad.
    One tip though-I think you should eat it before October-don't push your luck.;)

Jill

Images
    I used to make jam for England when the kids were young. One year, I made so much plum jam that we were eating it years later.
    Elf and safety bods will probably come at me with all guns blazing but I'm sure we've all taken bigger risks with food at the hands of our parents and before the world went mad.
    Well Jill, much as I like bread and jam. I certainally wont eat any in October.:D:D:D

*Carol M*

Images
    On reflection Stan I would ditch the beetroot.:D

Jill

Images

Rank

5 years is way too long to trust any home packaged food product with or without vacuum packing. I would advise disposing of them.

Cheers Eric
    - Former Executive Chef
    Hi Eric and thanks for your reply,but this has left me with a double dilemma!Jill, Smith Crayford says eat it,you say don't...now who do I obey? You only enjoy a junior rank, whereas Jill has some seniority,so now I have another problem..could I be clapped in irons for ignoring a senior officer? My only other solution would seem to involve one of our friends,Bill.His boast is that he will eat anything,and has complete disregard for "sell by/best by" dates.This is no idle boast,and we have tested him with such delicacies as a 10 y.o.tin of grapefruit, a soreen malt loaf 2 yrs.out of date,but he just relies on his senses.He never ails a thing!Stressed Stan

Images
    Hi Eric and thanks for your reply,but this has left me with a double dilemma!Jill, Smith Crayford says eat it,you say don't...now who do I obey? You only enjoy a junior rank, whereas Jill has some seniority,so now I have another problem..could I be clapped in irons for ignoring a senior officer? My only other solution would seem to involve one of our friends,Bill.His boast is that he will eat anything,and has complete disregard for "sell by/best by" dates.This is no idle boast,and we have tested him with such delicacies as a 10 y.o.tin of grapefruit, a soreen malt loaf 2 yrs.out of date,but he just relies on his senses.He never ails a thing!Stressed Stan
    Well then Stan- senior eh? That's the first time anyone has called me that, except when asking me if I want Senior ticket on the trains.

As for 'obeying', I think that if I were you, I would obey May on whether you should eat the jam. ;)
    Your friend Bill would get on very well with my OH, who goes nuts if I throw anything away that is past it's eat by date.
    Some months ago he gave me a mint from a packet that had been in an old coat pocket. It was rather tasteless adn when I checked the packet, it was 4years out of date!

Jill

the jam ought to be ok - unless it's acquired a fluffy coat....

Not so sure about the beetroot. What was it preserved in? And don't say a jar.... Vinegar?
    I usually rely on the sniff test!

Meg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast