Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    MarieC, Troon Guest
    Unfortunately my memory is so bad that I can't remember most of my favourites until I see them again! However, have any of you heard of Irene Nemirovsky. Some of her books were published before and during the war and after her death a m****cript was found by her daughter and has recently being published. If you Wikipedia her name you can read about her life and hear an interview with her daughter. Very interesting story of her life and has lead to all her pre-war books being republished. I've read most of them now and can thoroughly recommend her.

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    I would recommend Jeffrey Archer books to anyone who likes a good yarn. I've read them all and found them all 'can't put downable'

Jill
    Whereas if you want books to avoid for starters I'd list The Dragon Queen by Alice Borschardt ~ It's not often that I can't finish a book but that was so bad it was laughable, went straight back to the library the day after I got it!

We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.

The best historical novel I've ever read is 'Wolf Hall' by Hilary Mantel. It well deserved the Booker prize. The most inventive and beautifully written novel I've read recently is 'Middlesex' by Jeffrey Eugenides (don't bother with his 'Virgin Suicides', however - it's disappointingly pants).

Hi Carol,
    I absolutely loved The Kite Runnera and also A Thousand Splendid Suns. My favourite reads of last year. Waiting for Khaled Hosseini to write something else!
    Thanks
    Angela

Hi all,
    Thanks for some good recommendations. Wolf Hall is on my 'to read' list so I'll get to that soon. I've just got Julie Walters autobiography from the library and I've also recently read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo which was quite good but it got a bit gory towards the end. I think Ian McEwan is a wonderful writer but I find most of his books disturbing and they make me anxious!
    I too, usually read books from the ship's library to save on packing but always take some
    with me just in case. I'm going to look at e-readers soon but need my technical daughter with me to steer me through the labyrinth.
    Angela

Images
    Hi Shell. I too, have read 'The Other Boleyn Girl' and also the 'Boleyn Inheritance', which was equally good. In my youth, I read most of Jean Plaidy/Alexander Kent books (one and the same author). Jill
    Jill, Eleanor Hibbert was the prolific writer who had numerous pen names, including Jean Plaidy and Victoria Holt [favoured authors of my early teenage years].

Douglas Reeman writes as Alexander Kent.

Images
    I would recommend Jeffrey Archer books to anyone who likes a good yarn. I've read them all and found them all 'can't put downable'

Jill
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    You and my OH too Jill, she loves Jeffrey Archer books as well, I think she must have read them all as well.

She now borrows books on tape so she can listen to them in bed when she wakes in the early hours, often wake about 4am to find her with her headphones on.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Cruisings Cool

Images
    I Read Saturday Night Peter recently and it was that funny my husband ended up reading it ~ the first book I've seen him read not to do with cooking, cars or computer games since we met, he even took it to bed!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Shelley, if Barry is into motors he wants to get James Mays book called 'May on Motors' It's a collection of his most controversial and humourous writings covering all aspects of car ownership from the art of driving to complicated issues of technology. It's a facinating read, believe me, very amusing from beginning to end. I'm now reading it for the second time. Published by Virgin Books.
    Regards David

Cruisings Cool

Images
    Jill, Eleanor Hibbert was the prolific writer who had numerous pen names, including Jean Plaidy and Victoria Holt [favoured authors of my early teenage years].

Douglas Reeman writes as Alexander Kent.
    Thanks for that. My memory is obviously getting a bit addled.

Images
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Shelley, if Barry is into motors he wants to get James Mays book called 'May on Motors' It's a collection of his most controversial and humourous writings covering all aspects of car ownership from the art of driving to complicated issues of technology. It's a facinating read, believe me, very amusing from beginning to end. I'm now reading it for the second time. Published by Virgin Books.
    Regards David
    TY will remember it for his birthday, I like the Top Gear guys and have various books by The Hamster and Jeremy but nothing by James May

We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast