Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    I recently read Julie Waters autobiography which was hilarious and am presently reading Dawn French's Dear Fatty, which is equally funny.

Jill
    I Read Saturday Night Peter recently and it was that funny my husband ended up reading it ~ the first book I've seen him read not to do with cooking, cars or computer games since we met, he even took it to bed!

We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.

MarieC, Troon Guest
    Hi Shell. I too, have read 'The Other Boleyn Girl' and also the 'Boleyn Inheritance', which was equally good. In my youth, I read most of Jean Plaidy/Alexander Kent books (one and the same author). I've also read all the 'Hormblower' books by C.S.Forrester. I recently decided to re-read Neville Shute's novels but found that they are not on library shelves these days but in the archives. I still love to read historical novels but also read some autobiographies. I recently read Julie Waters autobiography which was hilarious and am presently reading Dawn French's Dear Fatty, which is equally funny.

Jill
    Jill, I loved Dear Fatty and also around the same time I read Paul O'Grady's autobiography At My Mother's Knee which I think you might like too.

Last edited by MarieC, Troon; 20th March 2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: got Jill's name wrong again, sorry

Images
    Can anyone recommend my next great read?
    Yes any of John Maxtone-Graham's or William H Miller's books on Ocean Liner history!;)

Images
    I also recommend this book by Khaled Hosseini and his next one A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Another book I liked which was very interesting is The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seirstad.
    Hi Marie, I agree, loved both of those! Carol

Finished my book whilst on-board and went to the library to see what they had, well people leave paperbacks there for others to read and if you take them but don't finish them you can take them home with you. I found a book that looked OK and finished it whilst still on-board, that book was called 'Juliet Naked' by Nick Hornsby, a good book and easy to read, now I'm looking to read some more of his. He was the one who wrote 'About A Boy' which was turned into a film starring Hugh Grant.

Images
    Been asked to move this from "how not to miss the unmissable" thread, we'd changed from programmes to books ~sorry.

I've started reading the True Blood books by Charlaine Harris got this boxed set a lot cheaper than buying them individually
    Play.com (UK) : True Blood Boxed Set (8 Book Collection) - Charlaine Harris : Books - Free Delivery

It's confusing though if you are watching the series as they are so different ~ like the Bones series and the Kathy Riechs books.

We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.

Images
    Jill, I loved Dear Fatty and also around the same time I read Paul O'Grady's autobiography At My Mother's Knee which I think you might like too.
    Thanks Marie, I Love Paul O'Grady and didn't know he's written an autobiography. Jill

Images
    Hi Angela, have you tried "The Kite Runner"? not the lightest of reads but I loved it, really thought provoking and brilliantly written. Now been made into a film which kept very truthfully to the book. Carol
    I read 'The Kite Runner'. It was a great book but because of it's content, I wouldn't watch the film. Funny how you can read books that contain violence but not actually watch it played out.

Thanks Marie, I Love Paul O'Grady and didn't know he's written an autobiography. Jill
    There are 2 out, one was written by someone else about his life and 'At my Mothers Knee' was written by Paul, it only covers up to age 18 and he's bringing another out carry on from 18 up to later. Great books and both really funny and sad.

Images
    I would recommend Jeffrey Archer books to anyone who likes a good yarn. I've read them all and found them all 'can't put downable'

Jill

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast