Good offer on Titanic-related book

I thought some here might be interested in this. The publisher really raves about this book which is the story of the violinist in the band who played while the Titanic sank. It's on offer at The Book People here:
    And The Band Played On ... (Hardback) - Christopher Ward - 9781444707946
    and try entering the code AFQUID for free delivery, expires 15/3/12

A true love story of a violinist and a glove maker, brilliantly written and researched by Christopher Ward, And the Band Played On... reveals the dramatic story of his grandfather Jock Hume’s death on the Titanic and the effect it had on his pregnant fiancée Mary. One hundred years on from the Titanic’s maiden voyage that ended in such disaster, Ward delves deep into his family history to discover the shocking truth about his ancestors, while painting a vivid portrait of a fascinating age in which class determined the way you lived – and died.

Images
    Many Thanks Britchic,

I have just ordered it - a bargain, especially for a hardback! Also used the code & got free delivery as well! Thanks again.

Lizzie

Glad it was of interest Lizzie. I've recently had to do a round up of Titanic books, since obviously there are quite a few coming out before the April anniversary, and this one comes highly recommended.

Images
    Sounds like a great story BC and I shall put it on my wish list. You may also be interested in the story (if you haven't heard of it) of the British Schindler the Reverend Hugh Grimes. I heard about him on the news a while back and have been meaning to find the book (which must have been written) about him somewhere. For those who missed the story here is a link BBC News - The British 'Schindler' who saved Austrian Jews.

Hi Britchic,

Many thanks for this information, I have just placed my order!

I have read numerous books regarding the loss of the Titanic over the years. I grew up in County Down not far from Belfast and as a boy in the 1950's there were still many people around with very close associations with Titanic.
    Some had worked in the shipyard , some had even lost relatives.
    The loss hit Belfast and Southampton very badly and I am sure this story will no doubt reflect this.
    Many thanks once again and I look forward to reading this book,

Regards

Frank

Hi Frank, I admit before I wrote an article on it recently I didn't know much about it and had no idea just how many of the crew and passengers were from Southampton - a huge percentage. If anyone is interested I can list lots of the new Titanic titles coming out in the next month, I only highlighted this one because of the good price.