Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    [/B]

On another technical forum I use, the OP is required to monitor posts to the thread they have started, and the ability to suspend posts to the thread if it is seen to be going astray. Admin then have a more generous timeframe to either delete the post or indead the whole thread

Sean
    Sean - have I got this right - the OP, on the other forum you use, can police the posts and suspend posts? Don't like the sound of that.

Annie

Neil, I refer to your statement about 'those who appear to have little interest in cruising' as having 'other aims'. I love cruising, but my cruising history is not recent. However I contribute where I can. Are you attempting to set a standard as to who has the most right to belong to a forum? What would be your criteria? e.g. how long it has been since someone last posted cruising related posts? What about those who have cruised but now just play games or chit-chat?

It is clear that some just want to be here and be part of a community, whether or not they have recent, relevant cruising contributions. Are you saying that these members have little interest in cruising?

As for the contentious issues, this is a liberal forum but being liberal means that some take liberties. One does not react in a vacuum so one has to look at what came first - look at the catalyst for each episode, and look at the crux of the matter before condemning out of hand. In any case, members (and I include myself here) should not involve themselves in any 'spat' or rush to the aid of a friend. In the event that persistent behaviour continues, then only a robust administration is the answer, and any obvious attempt at trolling, baiting and goading should be absolutely ignored and reported to admin.
    Tintop. look at the replies so far and I think you will see a variety of interesting contributions.

Maybe you are looking for more than I was intending to imply.

Most of us, I think, don't care about cruising histories or, indeed, whether a person is an active cruiser or not. I don't worry if a person has never been on a cruise but I would find it strange for someone with no interest in cruising to be joining in on this Forum. There are loads of other areas and forums which would welcome those people.

Personally, I don't regard this as a debating chamber either because that would mean that the debate was the be all and end all. I enjoy a debate where the merits and purposes of cruising related items are the subject. The same applies to the well-being of the Forum itself and that is why I am just asking a simple question; if the Forum attracts those whose aims do not coincide with the majority of members are there any suggestions as to what can or should be done to remedy the situation. Regards. ....Neil

Sean - have I got this right - the OP, on the other forum you use, can police the posts and suspend posts? Don't like the sound of that.

Annie
    Annie

Yes thats correct, it actually works quite well for that forum which mainly deals with issues within a specific range of subjects. Even then at times emotions run high and the ability to suspend posts that detract from the original thread is useful (though not often used)

Sean

Tintop Guest
    Neil, I just read it as it was but find it is strange that a couple of responses appear to refer to me, and I take exception to that, given, as you say, your posting was innocuous. How is the forum to remedy a situation where if the forum attracts those whose aims do not coincide with the majority of members? How can you know whether or not a person joining this forum has no interest in cruising? What criteria would you use to reach that conclusion? You have to determine that before anything else, so I don't think you can 'remedy' the situation.

Annie

Yes thats correct, it actually works quite well for that forum which mainly deals with issues within a specific range of subjects. Even then at times emotions run high and the ability to suspend posts that detract from the original thread is useful (though not often used)

Sean
    Agree with you 100% Sean. A number of members do tend to detract from the original thread which can develop into something unintended but becomes very uncomfortable and personal. I enjoy a constructive exchange of views but if it gets beyond this point then Admin should control the thread by a warning of closure.

Personally, I don't regard this as a debating chamber either because that would mean that the debate was the be all and end all. I enjoy a debate where the merits and purposes of cruising related items are the subject. The same applies to the well-being of the Forum itself and that is why I am just asking a simple question; if the Forum attracts those whose aims do not coincide with the majority of members are there any suggestions as to what can or should be done to remedy the situation. Regards. ....Neil
    I don't know if I like where I think you are heading? How can you know what someone's aims are?

Do you want to narrow the range of topics discussed?

So a minority is not allowed to express a point of view?

Annie

Tintop Guest
    Neil, it appears that some members have maybe looked for more than you were intending to imply. It may be helpful if you clarified exactly what you meant?

Tintop Guest
    No reply? I wonder why?

No reply? I wonder why?
    No reply because I was doing the ironing, then talking to a caller then making a cup of tea before sorting out some important business.

Excuse me for having a life. ....Neil

No reply because I was doing the ironing ....Neil
    Glad to see you are well trained - joke btw ; it is just that your on-line light was left on - back to cleaning the oven

Annie

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast