View Poll Results: Do you agree with the proposed ban on term time holidays?

Voters
202. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

111 54.95%
  • No

91 45.05%
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
    Images

Question POLL: Do you agree with the proposed ban on term time holidays?

Rosebaskets has already started a topic about this, and the responses have been mixed.

So, I thought it'd be interesting to do a poll.

We'd like to know:

Do you agree with the proposed ban on term time holidays? Do you have children? Do you normally take them out of school to take them on a cruise or land-based holiday?

Please cast your vote!

Term time holidays will be banned

Parents are to be banned by Michael Gove, the Education Secretary, from taking their children out of school to save money on holidays.

He is to abolish the right of head teachers to “authorise absence” from the classroom, which has been used to let families take term-time breaks, and will warn them they face fines for their children not being at school.

To get the whole story click here

It will be exactly the same as it is now, its a law that 90% of people will flout & get away with, we do not have the bodies to enforce motorway speed limits, so no chance with this one.

Term Time Holidays

I do not have school age children but I can remember the problems booking our summer holiday at a reasonable price to fit in with term time.

I do not agree with parents taking children out of school for two weeks holiday but I do not think there should be a problem taking the children out of school a couple of days early during the last week of term when "lessons" are more relaxed.

Let the decision be made at the discretion of the school, based on general attendance, course work being covered and whether it impacts on critical exam times.

Images
    If holiday companies, hoteliers, cruise companies and airlines did not increase their fares by so much for the school holidays I don't think this question would even arise. I know, they say they don't increase them, but rather decrease them, out of term time to attract clients. Believe what you will. Just my opinion.

Fossil1

Images
    Michael Gove, the Education Secretary, from taking their children out of school to save money on holidays.

He needs to do something first about those Holiday company's, who rip parents off during School Holiday's, by vastly inflating their prices. A lot of family's cannot afford the inflated prices, and therefore if this ruling is brought in, he will be denying a lot of children a holiday away with their parents.

I find it very strange that people quite frequently think nothing of breaking laws which are in place when it suits them, then in the next breath say the Country is going soft on law breakers when others do it.

If it is a law don't break it whether it is speeding or taking kids out of school.

Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Tintop Guest
    The holiday companies are profiteering from a largely hamstrung section of holidaymakers. The 'haves' who are well off can afford to pay the premium prices whereas the 'have nots' can't. Companies should not be allowed to hike prices up in this way.

what if you can't get your holidays while schools are on holidays,although it will not affect me as my kids are both in thier 30s and am now retired.
    school holidays in scotland differ from england. when i was younger i had to take my holidays at a set time every year ,the last 2 weeks in june. the reason for this was we exported most of our orders and this was to satisfy our customer but it ment if i wanted a holiday we had to take kids out of school as school holidays did'nt start till end of june.
    we never had any bother with this as headmaster said that very little was done in the last 2 weeks of term anyway and they would not miss out on anything.
    i don'nt know if he would have had a differnt attitude if we had wanted to kids out of school in the middle of a term.

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Michael Gove, the Education Secretary, from taking their children out of school to save money on holidays.

He needs to do something first about those Holiday company's, who rip parents off during School Holiday's, by vastly inflating their prices. A lot of family's cannot afford the inflated prices, and therefore if this ruling is brought in, he will be denying a lot of children a holiday away with their parents.
    Surely the inflated prices are just a case of supply and demand. Remember that these same people who are charging a lot during the main holiday period have to earn enough to survive throughout the winter months where their takings are vastly reduced. From people I know in the hotel trade it can be a very tough line of business.

I'm sure every parent (or at least most parents) would want their children to have the best education possible and to me that would mean not taking them out of school for purely financial reasons, although I agree the last few days of each term are usually a waste of time from the point of view of educational content and these would be an exception to the rule.

I would argue that children (or indeed parents) don't really need a foreign holiday every year. As long as they have a break and do things together as a family then they can achieve the same result on a stay-cation, a camping trip, visits to friends and relatives elsewhere in the country, etc. I think it is a modern phenomenon that makes people think they cannot survive a year without 2 weeks somewhere abroad.

Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast