Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Are we the only ones?

Lets be honest does everyone tip the recommended daily amount per guest per trip? We certainly dont.

If we cruise with Princess or NCL on the last day of the cruise we join the very long line of other passengers doing exactly the same thing at reception and ask for the mandatory tipping to be taken off our bill and we generally tip our cabin steward seperately about 50 per room (2 of us) for a 14 night cruise, and if we have a designed table waiter the same. We never tip the head waiter - we generally only see him on the next to last day of the cruise.

No one ever tiped me for doing my job no matter how much out of my way I went to make sure that that customer had the best service (I owned shops selling school uniform).

I accept that someone is going to say that the staff rely on their tips as they dont get much wages, then increase the price of the cruise - if all lines included tipping it would be a much more transparent than finding out that you have another 400 to pay.

I am sure that we would all tip for that extra special service we receive and I dont believe that in taking away mandatory tipping the staff will not give as good a service, I think they would try even harder but at least their basic is a living wage - if all the mandatory tips actually go towards their wages anyway.

My twopenneth - whats yours?

On a recent Fred's cruise, we were told to tip the people who had served us, with a 'recommendation'. We used the SSR, so gave a bag of tips to reception for the waiters. Our Room Steward, we discovered, was sending money home for her children's education in Indonesia, so she got over the odds.

Dont wish to sound cruel, but my wages went to educating my children and feeding them and putting a roof over their head! .... I employed staff who used to send part of their wages back home to support their parents and thier extended families, but I paid them a decent wage. I did not expect my customers to take pity on these people and give them extra for doing their job in the first place. On occasion a customer would tip my staff (they can spend up to 90 minutes organising a sometimes difficult new starter with their uniform) but it was not expected.

While I am on my soapbox... Why do we tip Taxi drivers - who generally do not even get out of the car, or a waitress who takes our order and brings you a plate of food but we dont tip a server in a fast food restaurant who takes our order and brings us a plate of food - baffles me, they are both doing the same service albeit different end of the market.

why?

Why it tipping such an important thing that we need to debate how much?
    NOTHING.
    Unless you feel that you have had extra personal service beyond that for which the staff are paid, why should an employer embarrass you (force you even) to pay a balance of that person's income. Surely the employer (cruise line) is expected to pay a fair wage.

Do you tip a train driver, shop assistant, mcdonalds worker, the hospital porter, the meter reader ? Are these people not doing a simlar good job, with politeness and efficiency ?

Why should you feel obliged to tip a waiter, a barman or a taxi driver? OK if you feel you have had extra service and really want to show your thanks - but not just because tradition makes you obliged, embarrased or even forced.

In days of old one, who was wealthy enough, may have tipped the poor coachman or hostelier for providing him with with safe journey and welcoming lodgings, but now it has become a means of anyone in the leasure, hotel and catering industry to be paid low wages and to expect the holidaying public to feel obliged to make up the balance.

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Gratuities vary a great deal between cruise lines, ranging from a required added service charge to no tipping expectations at all. But take our advice its very important that you know before you book your cruise so you can budget accordingly!

Here's a comparison chart to feast your eyes upon!

Gratuities Jan 2011 - Who charges what?

What are your thoughts?

Any pleasant/nasty surprises?

Look out your persona is showing

Dont wish to sound cruel, but my wages went to educating my children and feeding them and putting a roof over their head! .... I employed staff who used to send part of their wages back home to support their parents and thier extended families, but I paid them a decent wage. I did not expect my customers to take pity on these people and give them extra for doing their job in the first place. On occasion a customer would tip my staff (they can spend up to 90 minutes organising a sometimes difficult new starter with their uniform) but it was not expected.

While I am on my soapbox... Why do we tip Taxi drivers - who generally do not even get out of the car, or a waitress who takes our order and brings you a plate of food but we dont tip a server in a fast food restaurant who takes our order and brings us a plate of food - baffles me, they are both doing the same service albeit different end of the market.
    From that which you write I am gradually receiving a picture of someone steeped in tradition and yet your words often contradict this.

Violet, you are enigmatic.

Much of what you say coincides with exactly what many of us are saying; we are trying to get the cruise lines to pay a decent wage, we would like the gratuities included in the headline price and eventually we would like the whole system changed so that a gratuity, if and when it is paid, should be a small amount for a service over and above what would normally be expected and the person receiving it would be comfortable with that fact and also knowing that he was being paid this on top of a reasonable wage.

You are almost there but please drop this "I was never paid a tip" bit, it doesn't suit you. ....Neil

Mountain out of a mole hill

Why it tipping such an important thing that we need to debate how much?
    NOTHING.
    Unless you feel that you have had extra personal service beyond that for which the staff are paid, why should an employer embarrass you (force you even) to pay a balance of that person's income. Surely the employer (cruise line) is expected to pay a fair wage.

Do you tip a train driver, shop assistant, mcdonalds worker, the hospital porter, the meter reader ? Are these people not doing a simlar good job, with politeness and efficiency ?

Why should you feel obliged to tip a waiter, a barman or a taxi driver? OK if you feel you have had extra service and really want to show your thanks - but not just because tradition makes you obliged, embarrased or even forced.

In days of old one, who was wealthy enough, may have tipped the poor coachman or hostelier for providing him with with safe journey and welcoming lodgings, but now it has become a means of anyone in the leasure, hotel and catering industry to be paid low wages and to expect the holidaying public to feel obliged to make up the balance.
    Peter, there are things which are part of tradition and to change tradition will take time but the modern world deserves modern methods. Your arguments do little to help us in our efforts to turn around practices which have exisited for a long time. . ....Neil

E-mail response from FOCL would indicate the auto charge can be varied up or down by contacting ship reception - assume this to mean the same as Cunard which will remove the auto charge at your request allowing the cruiser to make the payments personally to the individual crew members.

The problem with auto deduction is that there is no guarantee that the payments do actually get to the individual crew members and that thes monies don't just go into the bottom line of the company profits.

From that which you write I am gradually receiving a picture of someone steeped in tradition and yet your words often contradict this.

Violet, you are enigmatic.

You are almost there but please drop this "I was never paid a tip" bit, it doesn't suit you. ....Neil
    Dear Neil, I am sorry that you find my words enigmatic -
    (Definition: hard to understand: having a quality of mystery and ambiguity and so difficult to understand or interpret) and that you feel that you can attack or define my character, I could request that you dont patronise, or alienate members with uncalled for personal remarks because I do not think it relevant or necessary in trying to get your point across.

Images
    E-mail response from FOCL would indicate the auto charge can be varied up or down by contacting ship reception - assume this to mean the same as Cunard which will remove the auto charge at your request allowing the cruiser to make the payments personally to the individual crew members.

The problem with auto deduction is that there is no guarantee that the payments do actually get to the individual crew members and that thes monies don't just go into the bottom line of the company profits.
    If you truly believe that, and are just not using it as an excuse, why not ask the staff concerned.

Every staff member I have asked which system they prefer, it is auto deduction everytime. That way they know exactly what they are getting.......Wilba

Wilba

Misinterpreted?

Dear Neil, I am sorry that you find my words enigmatic -
    (Definition: hard to understand: having a quality of mystery and ambiguity and so difficult to understand or interpret) and that you feel that you can attack or define my character, I could request that you dont patronise, or alienate members with uncalled for personal remarks because I do not think it relevant or necessary in trying to get your point across.
    Thanks for the response; I could almost hear you saying that.

I am sorry if you thought I was attacking your character by calling you enigmatic, I assumed it would be praiseworthy but there you are especially as the main reason for using that word was to imply, "having an edge of mystery"

I hope you keep writing and if you do I will try not to be so dogmatic. Regards. .....Neil

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast