Exclamation Holiday Insurance

Anyone who risks not taking out any travel insurance should read this.

OSD.

21 August 2010 Last updated at 16:16 Corfu honeymoon balcony fall woman to return home

Carrie Dudbridge fractured her spine in three places

A woman who fell from a balcony on her honeymoon and fractured her spine is expected to be flown back on Sunday.
    Carrie Dudbridge, 27, who works as a school secretary in Lewisham, London, fractured her spine in three places when she fell about 30ft on 15 August.
    Her husband Michael had appealed for 16,000 for the flight back to the UK.
    Mediaviation, which will provide the air ambulance service, said a team will fly to the hospital on the Greek island, returning to Biggin Hill later.
    Funds appeal Mrs Dudbridge fell from the first-floor balcony of their hotel room.
    The couple, who got married on 31 July, thought European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) would cover their expenses if they had an accident, but it does not cover the cost of air ambulance repatriation.
    Mr Dudbridge, 29, a builder, had been able to raise a part of the money needed, but following a public appeal for funds a woman from the island offered to pay for most of their expenses.
    Mike Lindley, a paramedic with Mediaviation, said: "We'll be flying out from Oxford Airport tomorrow morning, go to Corfu hospital, stabilise her and fly back in one day to Biggin Hill in Kent."

Celebrity Reflection - Eastern Med - June '15

Images
    This is so sad.
    I really think anybody selling Travel plans to people take that precious minute to offer Travel Insurance and explain why it is important as to where they are going.

Even in Canada though I might be covered and treated in different provinces for Hospital treatment my costs for non medical services including Air Ambulance or even regular Ambulance is not covered when I'm outside my domicile.
    Thus it is wise to purchase medical travel insurance even if I drive across Canada.

I hope the young lady's spine and health recovers and the couple are able to pay the woman from the Island back. A nice gesture to those in need but the financial part could have been avoided.

All the best

Rob
    Next Cruise:> QM2 2015 / My Blog robbarcruises.com

Yes but what if you cant get insured for some illnesses? I have travel insurance worldwide by the year, I have recently suffered bowel cancer and had already booked (we did this before I knew about my illness) to go on a cruise for next year (end of Feb which will be at the end of my chemo) I telephoned the insurance company to get advice re their cover and they say that I will be covered for everything else but not any effects of bowel cancer! What do I do?

Last edited by Catch us if you can!, London; 22nd August 2010 at 03:11 PM.

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Yes but what if you cant get insured for some illnesses? I have travel insurance worldwide by the year, I have recently suffered bowel cancer and had already booked (we did this before I knew about my illness) to go on a cruise for next year (end of Feb which will be at the end of my chemo) I telephoned the insurance company to get advice re their cover and they say that I will be covered for everything else but not any effects of bowel cancer! What do I do?

That is what they would call 'pre-existing conditions' and sometimes a time limit exists when after you are considered cured. Check with then as to the time limit and ask your Oncologist.
    I'd also ask around if some companies exist though will charge a premium.

Depends where you are going and also depends I guess on what condition would flare up on you in do you require being at a hospital or better to travel back.

This is the other side of insurance where they will gladly insure as long as we are perfect humans with no scars.

I am glad to hear of your recovery, such good news and some people say to hell with it and travel anyhow.

Take care , hope it works out

Rob
    Next Cruise:> QM2 2015 / My Blog robbarcruises.com