Shore Excursions - are there car seats for toddlers?

Hello there, we've booked a cruise, with Celebrity on the Constellation 11 Sept from Barcelona to Med myself, my husband and our 18 month year old daughter.

We selected 5 shore excursions online (all involve some amount of coach time) and then I realised there was no mention of child safety. There is no mention of whether child seats for toddlers are provided on the coaches and no mention of the policy/law in each country.

Could some one help me who has travelled with young children and taken these tours involving coaches? What is the standard practice?

Thank you.

Images
    Hi...well as you are flying from Barcelona .are you not taking your own car seat?......I thought on flights if you had infants/babies you were/had to take/ues your car seat on the seat on the plane.
    If this is what you are doing then I would imagine you can do the same on the coach.
    I doubt very much you will have coaches having baby /booster seats ,but I may be wrong.
    Sorry I cannot be of any more help.
    Happy sailing though.

some call me Mrs Early Bird......:p
    http://www.cruises.co.uk/attachments...61_600.jpg</a>
    oooo and I guess we want a badge too.
    Adventure Oct 2011,Indy Feb 2012. Allure Aug 2012.

Shore Excursions - are there car seats for toddlers?

We will fly in from Oslo to Barcelona, but as she is a toddler she sits on our laps during the flight. Therefore no need for car seat during flights and our local flybussen (airport buses) all have baby seats fitted as standard. So normally we don't travel with one, any hire car we normally order, we ensure include a car seat, so we're sorted when we arrive anywhere also. However we've never done a cruise before and not sure how they cater for childrens requirements.

In this case we don't seem to have an option to book a car seat for her online anyway during excursion booking.

NB: At 18 months her car seat is large\bulky and fitted into our car, its not easily transportable (unlike her baby car seat which was light and easy to carry).

Many other parents must have taken cruises and hopefully have encountered the same questions and perhaps can share their insights?

On the American sites I have often seen them talking about taking car seats with them on the family boards, and therefore I'd hazard a guess that car seats are not offered. I would email Celebrity to ask though if I were you, as I'd want to hear what their reply is about taking a toddler safely on their excursions.

Car seats & Shore Excursions

So far I have had the following reply from Celebrity:
    This is fairly disatisfactory as their website allows you to book tickets for children and babies. You tick a box depending on the childs age to determine the price. Their note infers that the "no cost" option means the child sits on the parents lap, however it does not clarify whether this conforms to the law in the area. There is also no indication regarding provision of child seats unless you think to ask prior to booking and even then this seems to be "hit and miss", as they are not sure the coaches will have seatbelts.

Regardless of law this is unsafe practice. I am a first time cruiser (not yet done it yet!) so its only by chance we thought about this before hitting "confirm" for the excursions on their website. I am suprised I haven't heard from anyone else, perhaps there are not many parents taking young children on cruises and this isnt a big issue for them?

The reply I received:

"Dear Guest,

Please be advised that these tours do not provide a car seat. If you would like to have your child use a car seat on any of these tours you will have to do the following:

* Provide your own car seat
    * Pay for the shore excursion at the child rate (this is in order to ensure a seat on this tour)
    * In some of these ports you would have to carry the car seat with you when you get off the bus due to certain regulations.

Please advise us if you are interested in this option, as we will have to contact the tour operators to make these arrangements and to ensure that the buses being used can accommodate the car seat."

Perhaps most people on here with young children are doing their own thing rather than the excursion.
    It certainly wouldn't be convenient to carry the car seat about with you on an excursion though would it?

It is tricky with small children. We tend to only do very short trips if using the ships tours as the kids are small and they hate being stuck on a coach, never mind the issue of no child seats. You may find you can do a lot of ports yourself more cheapily and easily with children, e.g. for Rome it is a 1.5 hour expensive coach trip with the cruise line, or a very cheap 45 min train journey if you do yourself. The benefit of the latter being you dont have to worry about car seats and you can do things at your own pace. If you look for private tours in taxis you can often pre-book child seats - we have managed this for a private tour we are doing in Greece (and it is cheaper than the cruise line tour). If you post your ports of call I am sure people can advise on options.

I can understand your concerns but the cruise lines use independent tour operators and do advise they may not be what we in the UK expect.

Obviously that isn't a great deal of help to you as your major concern is for your child, I believe there can also be problems with transport for disabled passengers and many are unable to do the tours of their choice.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot the cruise company can do about, they have no control of the transport system in other Countries.

Jo

Images
    The best advice you have had has come from Royston.

If go via a private tour you can regulate the journeys, stops, breaks and/or divert back to the ship if needs be, where young children are concerned.

Even putting the lack of child seat/safety issue with coach travel to one side, youngsters on coach journeys are not the best of ideas.

Wilba

Hi there, I received a fuller reply from Celebrity and their Shore Ex team.

The upshot is that they confirm there is NO provision for children under 15kg (2yrs) on their coach excursions. For children over 15kg parents need to decide whether 2 point seatbelts are adequate.

I have suggested that now they know there is no safety provision for children <15Kg that they as a company now have a duty of care (in law) to update there booking system to prevent children of this age being booked onto coach excursions and to make parents of >15KG aware that only 2 point belts are available.

Their response which is quite helpful below:

Dear Guest,

Please be advised of the information we have obtained concerning car seats:

Kindly inform the passengers that seat belts of Tourism buses are not adequate for Child Car seats for children less than 15kgs because the seats approved for younger children have to have three points fixation and buses have only 2 points fixation. Have been advised by coach carriers that two (2) points should be sufficient for children car seats in Italy. Parents need to determine if they are okay with using only two (2) points to secure a car seat on the coach.

Please note that this information is for Portugal, Spain & Italy. We assume that it is the same for France.

Thank You and Enjoy Your Cruise