Things to do at Tenerife???

Hi all,

I'm taking my first cruise in October around the Canaries with RC. :D

We've decided what to do at all the other ports but we're unsure what's to do in Tenerife.

Any suggestions???

I want to avoid paying for an excerssion unless necessary. Is there anything of interest near to the port? If not, is there another cheap mode of transport nearby to take us somewhere nice for the day?

It'll be great to hear your stories and comments x :o

Last edited by Swindon, Wiltshire; 24th July 2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: spelling errors

There's loads to do in Tenerife!

I'm assuming here that you're landing in the North, around Santa Cruz and Puerto de La Cruz.

Both of these places themselves have a wealth of interesting things to do and see, and I know you said you don't want to pay too much for excursions etc, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how inexpensive it is to travel around via the regular buses (titsa.com : HOME is the website for the Tenerife bus company) and even taxis.

The North of the island is home to the fantastic Loro Parque (Loro Parque, Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife), however, it does cost a fair bit to get in, and can take a while to look around.

There is also a rather excellent History Museum too - Museo de la Naturaleza y el Hombre - which literally means the Museum of Nature and Man It's quite interesting and covers the History of the Canary Islands and the inhabitants etc. There is also a wealth of shops that you can visit and browse whilst here too, which some people seem to enjoy :p

Finally, while you're in Tenerife, you should really sample the local culture and food. The North of the Island has some of the best places to eat, specifically in Santa Cruz, and the food itself is super cheap compared to a lot of other places I have visited. A meal for 4 adults, including wine, can come to as little as 50 euros. I have no idea where else in the world you could match or beat that price! If you want to know more about where to eat at Restaurants in Santa Cruz, theres a small list here Santa Cruz Restaurants in Tenerife | TenerifeDining.com

If you'd like to know anything more in depth about the Island, feel free to reply to the thread or pm me, I'd be happy to help if I can

have a great cruise!

Tenerife

Santa Cruz de Tenerife is not the top resort in Tenerife it being mainly a port and business centre. There are things to enjoy in the city though. .. Plaza de Espana is the Main Square and Calle de Castillo is Main shopping street.

The Museo de Bellas Artes is an Art Gallery with old masters and modern works in Calle Jose Murphy 12, open Tues to Fri and Parque Municipal Garcia Sanabria is a pleasant park with shady paths.

The Mercado de Nuestra Senora de Africa is a morning market and bazaar Sunday mornings is a Flea Market here and La Teresitas is the nearest sandy (golden) beach 4 miles to the north.

You can catch a tram up to the old capital of La Laguna as well.

A taxi will take you into the nearby Anaga Mountains for a scenic drive or to the villages on the coast followed by a visit into Puerto de la Cruz.

Whale watching is possible from Los Christianos but that is a fair old trek away

Lastly you can go to Mount Teide but be sure to take warm clothes and rain gear

Hope that's helpful. ....Neil

Great feedback... you've certainly given me some food for thought (and nice food at that!) THANKS!