Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Images

Correcion - Sturgeron is an antihistamine

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Fiinding a suitable sea sickness / motion sickness pill can be a nightmare as different people react differently but I can hearlily endorse the product - never had any drowsiness with or without alcohol ( always in moderation)

I discovered Sturgeron after previous problems sailing with a friend on a 30ft trimaran in the Irish sea. Taking 2 tablets 2h before sailing into a storm , not only had I no sickness but could film the journey ( reading or looking at print / through a camera or video view finder on a heaving boatis the quickest way to sickness)

I believe It works directly on the inner ear motion sensors and I think it is not a traditional antihistamine. It is prescribed for and works well on the " falling down" symptoms of inner ear infections. Mikes dosage suggesions are spot on ( from the packet) and I can confirm it works ( for me)

Most cruise ships , unless in a violent storms , never get to the motion levels for serious sea sickness - unless one is seriously sensitive

If it is simply queasiness - get up on deck in thefresh air , focus on the horizon.
    Some ships offer crystalline ginger after meals which is an excellent sttler of the stomach

As a last (very expensive) resort- see the ship's doctor
    CORRECTION - Sturgeron / Cinnarazine IS an Antihistamine ( always check the Wiki (no leaks) page for any drug. Available in the UK over the counter at Boots or most reputable phamacies but NOT in the USA or Canada

Good also for Vertigo , Meunieres disease - see the Wiki entry for the drug

I note people swearing by the wristbands - do they really work ( in a really rough sea) - not merely a placebo effect?

Images
    CORRECTION - Sturgeron / Cinnarazine IS an Antihistamine ( always check the Wiki (no leaks) page for any drug. Available in the UK over the counter at Boots or most reputable phamacies but NOT in the USA or Canada

I note people swearing by the wristbands - do they really work ( in a really rough sea) - not merely a placebo effect?

Hi, My 10 year old daughter gets terribly travel sickness. She wears the travel wrist bands when she feels sick at sea and I myself have used them and can honsetly say they work and do not have any side effects. I have noticed quite a few fellow travellers wearing them. We have tried numerous travel pills but they either haven't worked or she will not take them. The one I found most sucessful is the Traveleeze. It is suitable for children and adults and last for 24 hours. It is a jelly pastille and strawberry flavoured so not to unpleasant for children to take. My oldest daughter has had these when twice now when she has found the swell too much when sleeping on the top bunks in the cabin and she says they are brilliant!! Also we find going to stand out on the balcony in the fresh air and eating regularly is a must. Hope this helps you and don't dwell too much on been ill just enjoy the cruise.

sea sickness

I've always found that a good, filling meal does me fine and I love stormy seas and weather anyway.

Cunard have dishes of ginger at the exit to dining areas if needs be.

Most cruise ships medical centres have excellent tablets to reduce seasickness but you'll pay premium prices for them.
    We have recently travelled with MSC cruises. My wife felt unwell one day and was advised by the cabin steward to get a free tablet from reception. She did this and was better within a very short space of time. I don't know what the tablet was, but it was FREE and effective.
    I regularly use Sea bands on sea fishing trips, (they alledgedly work on the acupunture point/ nerve centre which is involved in motion sickness ) and combined with Stugeron, find them very effective.

Images

I have used Seabands and personally find them to work like a charm.

For the Seabands to have any chance of working, they must be placed on the P6 acupressure point inside each wrist and a band should be worn on both wrists. There are detailed instructions on how to locate this acupressure point. The manufacturers say that they are useful for preventing nausea caused by all sorts of reasons, e.g. morning sickness, side effects of chemo or general anesthesia etc so they are not just for helping with travel sickness. I have seen them for sale on cruise ships and they can be obtained online and from high street chemists. I hope that this helps and I hope that they will work for other people too.

Last edited by Pippa, Kernow; 25th September 2012 at 08:20 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234