Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Trust a girl.

Well spotted.

With so many variables it is not always easy to make exact comparisons. It has been said many times on here that, just as with double glazing, one should try to get three quotes before deciding where to place your business.

That said we should also take into account the quality of the service provided by the agent. I think that while on-line booking is good, you can't beat a conversation to form an opinion.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    T Pratchett.

Could be Santa, but I didn't think there were too many variables in picking a cruise from a brochure and booking it. I never asked for or wanted advice, but I now know better with the benefit of hindsight. Obviously you never get caught out, but others might.

I doubt there are many among us who have never been caught out - certainly not me.

The variables to which I refer are things like: Flights included or not; cabin choice where there may be special offers; parking at Soton included or not. I am sure that there are many others, about which a good agent will be well aware. Of course one would do the research before phoning an agent but you only have to read this forum to realise how easy it is to miss something, especially for the inexperienced cruiser.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    T Pratchett.

Sorry no The "" distance selling " rules specifically do NOT apply to travel.

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Hi Vince and welcome to the forum.
    If you booked by telephone, you are covered by the 'distance selling' legislation. You have 7 days in which to cancel, during which time cancellation fees cannot be charged. Check it out with a solicitor which shouldn't cost you anything. Usually the first consultation is free.
    Just because companies put certain fees in their T&C's doesn't make them legal binding especially if they contradict existing legislation.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers OSD
    I am sorry to say that this legislation does not apply to travel. Either cruise, holidays or any other sort of travel. Once you book then you are subject to the booking conditions of the agent/ operator. Imagine booking a Ryanair flight and deciding to not travel and asking Mr O'Reilly for a refund? Either way this exclusion is quite specific so sorry no get out this way I am afraid.

OK Santa but I did mention that flights and transfers were included in both cases, so it was about as close as it was possible to get to a direct comparison, particularly when all the details were included in the cruise line brochure. From the responses I have received so far, purchasing a cruise does indeed seem to bear an uncanny resemblance to purchasing double glazing.

Who was the company?..make people aware of it so that some other poor suckers doesn't get ripped off as well.

Can't do that Granny because, as I have stated earlier, they are only charging the cruise line's brochure price. The sole purpose of my post is to advise people to check out prices very, very carefully before making a booking, like you would if you were purchasing double glazing. I just wish I had done that myself.

Hi Vince,

I know who you're talking about and it's not the first time it has happened.

I can't PM you for some reason, must be because I'm 'new', I've never registered but read the boards regularly.

May I direct you to their T's and C's, specifically 'Service Charges', you'll find they state their booking fee is £25-50 per person, this is for both when they act as an agent or an operator.

If I was in your position, I'd ask them to refund you the £300 deposit or you'll be in touch with ABTA.

Good luck.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast